Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Auto Insurance in Detroit

I'm looking for a new policy, any recommendations?

USAA if you qualify.

Quote Originally Posted by karl jr. View Post

AAA in the Dime building. BUndle homeowners/renters and auto. If you go with higher deductibles you should see rates equivalent to what you would get in the burbs

Agree with jt1. Bundling is about the only way to get a decent rate. Paying a year in advance gets another discount from some carriers, [[such as AutoOwners). I found AAA to be pretty expensive though.

Otherwise, expect to get red-lined. Average credit scores and points on your record?....bend over....you'll be making a payment equal-to or more than your car payment. In Detroit, you are essentially paying for the 50% or more of the driving public that don't have insurance, mostly because they can't afford it. The average person in Detroit who has decent credit, owns a house, owns a car, and pays for health insurance, can expect to shell-out @ $8000 a year to the insurance companies.

Yippie.

I rode into town 5 years ago with AllState, making payments on my car loan, meaning the bank required me to get comprehensive and collision coverage, which in turn resulted in laughable premiums, given that I walked to work and drove the car like 3 days a month, which of course would not be taken into consideration in determining the premium. I did find that AAA's rate of somewhere around $250 per month, though still 30%+ more than the car payment, was noticeably better. I had heard that from some other people as well. That said, I'm not surprised some have had the opposite experience - it seems to be a bit of a crap-shoot, really.

The real difference in insurance rates came when I wised up and traded down, exchanging my relatively nice car+loan for a 1999 Saturn, which I have been driving since. My rate [[sans comprehensive and collision) went way down to like $50/month. Also, once you get rid of comprehensive and collision coverage, going from state minimum coverage levels to maxing out all of the things that someone could sue you for - property damage, or I don't know what - made a completely negligible difference in my premiums. I pay more now, in Connecticut - which, that's marginally more, like $20/mo, but hey, who'd-a-thunk-it.

So I say, go with a smart and sensible car. Once the FMV of the car exceeds the deductible by a negligible amount, the decision gets real easy. Besides, who you trying to impress that you have to bleed big bucks for that ride?

Hanover Citizens works for me:

http://www.hanover.com/thg/citizens/

Before that I was with a company called Michigan Millers.... who paid off great for an big damage car accident I was in...

I've given up on the big brand name insurance companies more than decade ago. If the the insurance company has tv commercials I steer away [[pardon the pun). They have to pass that advertising cost on to the consumer.

And you're already penalized with sky high insurance rates [[even just for no-fault) if you live in Detroit proper or most of the inner ring suburbs. I do purchase Alstate or AAA for towing service ala cart. But cannot afford those big name companies for my car insurance.
    Quote Originally Posted by karl jr. View Post

Get a quote from Unitrin Direct. They have saved me big bucks!

Anyone have anything more they can offer on the topic of affordable car insurance in Detroit? Suggested companies?

I know there is legislation to bring the cost down in the city, but I really don't have time to wait around to see what happens in Lansing.

What jt1 said. I switched to AAA several years ago and my rated dropped to half of what I was paying MEMIC. I went through their office in the Dime Building [[the lobby of the Dime is well worth a visit). They do check driving records and credit scores. My policies are not bundled, however.

As I stated before lower-rate insurance can be found but not with the big name folks! Try the leads I mentioned below also try using a local underwriter - I had good luck with finding lower insurance thru:

Valenti Trobec Chandler
    www.vtcins.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Hanover Citizens works for me:

http://www.hanover.com/thg/citizens/

Before that I was with a company called Michigan Millers.... who paid off great for an big damage car accident I was in...

I've given up on the big brand name insurance companies more than decade ago. If the the insurance company has tv commercials I steer away [[pardon the pun). They have to pass that advertising cost on to the consumer.

And you're already penalized with sky high insurance rates [[even just for no-fault) if you live in Detroit proper or most of the inner ring suburbs. I do purchase Alstate or AAA for towing service ala cart. But cannot afford those big name companies for my car insurance.