Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Nation of Islam

Default Nation of Islam

Does anyone know how many followers of the Nation of Islam there are in Detroit?

Is there tension in the black community between NOI and Christians, or other people in general?

What is the likelihood that NOI was involved in hate crimes, in other words violence, against non-blacks?

Is this a Glenn Beck supporter here?
    Shit stirrer for sure.

The Nation of Islam followers seem to keep to themselves.

Sometimes you would see them on the street selling their newspaper along with there bean pies [[which are delicious by the way).

I don't know how many followers are around, but you could ask the people in Muhammad's mosque #1.

After all, this city is the birthplace of the NOI.

Maybe this will be helpful: Official Online Home of the Nation of Islam.

I'd be sincerely interested in what role mathematics plays in NOI.

I believe that the Nation of Islam is at odds with The Moors.

In fact, for once, I am sure of it.

DetroitPole Guest

I don't think American cities track their religious populations. Last I saw, Muslims made up 1% of the black population of the US. I bet it is slightly higher in Detroit, given that this is the birthplace of the nation.

I know one African-American [[not of immigrant stock) Muslim, though I don't know if he is the Nation or not. He has an affinity for Farrakhan, so probably. He seems pretty into black nationalism, and if anything hates Jews. Charming.

Honestly interested, not trolling.

The only hate crimes by NOI against whites that I am aware of were the so called "Zebra Killings" that occurred in the San Fransico area in the early 1970s. I think there are a couple of books written about it.

Two NOI women were murdered in the NOI bakery @ 7 mile and Livernois after a robbery a couple years ago. Not sure what became of the investigation.

There is a halal chicken place I frequent on the Hamtramck/Detroit border, where people from all walks must agree is pretty damn good, Islamic, Nation, and otherwise.

As tigershark mentioned above, the Nation pretty much keeps to itself. I have bought fruit from them, on occasion, at the intersections [[Gd. River & Southfld), which usually shocks them as much as greeting them.

Another sick right-wing cult.
    Last edited by barnesfoto; August-31-10 at 01:51 AM.

Hey ggores, what's the riff between the Nation and the Moorish Nation? Better yet, could you enlighten us on the Moors? I know they shun social security numbers and try to claim some type of diplomatic status or immunity. It seems to be influential to those locked up as a result of the war on drugs, which stripped alot of bright young guys with no record out of a future for chump-change dealing. Are they pissed at whitey or the establishment?

Quote Originally Posted by skyl4rk View Post
    What is the likelihood that NOI was involved in hate crimes, in other words violence, against non-blacks?
    absolute zero likelihood. really reaching with that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    Hey ggores, what's the riff between the Nation and the Moorish Nation? Better yet, could you enlighten us on the Moors?
    Just a casual observer, I only know what used to be seen on the Mighty WHPR, but with the demise of broadcast television, well, it's been a while. Far as elightenment... ummm... oh yeah, yeah, them guys was always claiming that George Washington is a myth, all made up. And, let's see, they was also always ranting about "fake afrikans". Kinda gave me the heebie-jeebies.

Remember the Nation of Islam is not the same as Islam and not fully recognized by other Muslims. The NOI had a split when it was found out that the leader was having sex with several women. Malcom X was part of the group that split away from NOI along with the son of the NOI founder. I don't remember the name of the other group. Mohamad Ali is part of that group. They don't believe in racial superiority or none of the BS NOI does.

don't forget their special belief that an ancient african scientist [[yakob, ?) created a race of demons, heretofore known as Bleu-eyed-devils, and in a fit of pique unleased these demons onto the world. Oh yeah there is an airplane that hides behind the moon that is filled with NOI scientists waiting to take over the earth.

To my surprise my interactions with black muslims in various social settings have been amicable and non-threatening. Yeah the bean pies are tasty.

Sorry to have been so blunt in my questioning. I read the Free Press article about the discovery of old documents from the sect on Hastings St. When I googled the address to see where it was, I got a list of websites on the sect. Some of the sites described some pretty extreme beliefs. However, you can't believe everything you read on the net.

They [[NOI) seem to have sort of a "non-aggression pact" with both the mainstream and more fundamentalist black churches. I cannot recall any disputes between them which led to violence.

Hermod, the Southern Christian Law Center might disagree with your review:

http://www.splcenter.org/get-informe...ation-of-islam

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Hermod, the Southern Christian Law Center might disagree with your review:

http://www.splcenter.org/get-informe...ation-of-islam

Again, on the ground, there does not appear to be any serious conflict between NOI and the black Christian churches. While they may not think much of the NOI theology and rhetoric, the black Christian churches and their congregations do not offer to or suffer violence from the NOI which is what I said.

The Southern Poverty Law Center page from above certainly makes the case that it is venomous in its rhetoric and theology. It states that there are surprisingly close ties to the Aryan Movement and other white supremacist groups.

As for the supposed detente between the NOI and more mainstream religions, it seems like religions don't attack each other, for the most part, in general. I understand where someone might suppose it behooves a predominantly black church to speak out against black supremacy, but I also can't recall my pastor [[of a predominantly white church) giving a press conference to denounce white supremacy. I should think actual hate acts - for example, Matthew Shephard's ordeal or whatever - and the hate from which they spring are generally condemned at the time by most if not all religious leaders.

It may be worth mentioning that I have read time and time again that mainstream Islam rejects the NOI on theological grounds, where I have not seen that the Baptists or Lutherans or Buddhists are on record with their opposition, if we presume that they oppose it.

the central tenent of NOI is that there is no God but Allah and Allah is that Faad guy from Hastings Street.

If Hermod says that all is honkey dorey between the larger black church and the NOI, far be of me to question his extensive first-person ethnographic studies on the subject.

NOI adheres to a racist ideology that is not part of mainstream Islam. My wife, who is Senegalese and Muslim, was invited to a NOI wedding reception. When I went to pick her up from the event, the dour stares I got could have cut through steel. If I go any mainstream Islam event with my wife and kids, my skin color is about as relevant as stale bread - as it should be, in my opinion.

I do not think the NOI is violent. They just believe in racial separation. In that sense, it is logical to see why they could reach an understanding with white supremacist groups.

In my opinion, as long as they do not step over the "live and let live" rule, I have no problem with them. Freedom of association, by default, allows one to disassociate.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickford-Bentler View Post
    NOI adheres to a racist ideology that is not part of mainstream Islam. My wife, who is Senegalese and Muslim, was invited to a NOI wedding reception. When I went to pick her up from the event, the dour stares I got could have cut through steel. If I go any mainstream Islam event with my wife and kids, my skin color is about as relevant as stale bread - as it should be, in my opinion.

I do not think the NOI is violent. They just believe in racial separation. In that sense, it is logical to see why they could reach an understanding with white supremacist groups.

In my opinion, as long as they do not step over the "live and let live" rule, I have no problem with them. Freedom of association, by default, allows one to disassociate.
    White Aryan Resistance figurehead Tom Metzger has met with, and given speeches at black seperatist events.