Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default River Rouge Man Is Totally NOT "In"

Good for him. He stood up for what he believed in.

LodgeDodger Guest

I agree jcole. The comments made by the DPS spokesperson were out of line. It's pot calling kettle black.

He's just trying to keep their school system going the same way Detroit is. Recruiting by radio ads is one thing; putting up signs on another city's school property is totally another.

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    I agree jcole. The comments made by the DPS spokesperson were out of line. It's pot calling kettle black.
    Yeah, honest to God, fer chrissakes.
    The Mexican city of Juarez is probably safer than oh, pretty much anywhere in Rwanda, and I think that guy should head there for his next vacation.
    The bitter topping is the implication that the best we can say about DPS is a statement of that kind.

I think DPS shouldn't have put their ads on that school's property.

I think it's a bit much to put something on another school's property, but DPS needs to be aggressive in order to reclaim those students. Radio and TV ads aren't going to be effective to attract students back to the urban schools. People say "suburban public schools", BAM they're there. You say "urban public schools" or "DPS", they need to be shown why and what has changed. DPS, IMO, has every right to go lobby to get their students back.

I have often picked up River Rouge school district advertising signs in SW Detroit. They have been placing them for two years - and leaving them, of course, long after student count day.

They can lobby all they want it their own city, on the radio and TV and on other property where they gain permission to post their signs.

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    I think it's a bit much to put something on another school's property, but DPS needs to be aggressive in order to reclaim those students. Radio and TV ads aren't going to be effective to attract students back to the urban schools. People say "suburban public schools", BAM they're there. You say "urban public schools" or "DPS", they need to be shown why and what has changed. DPS, IMO, has every right to go lobby to get their students back.
    OK, but that point is completely unrelated to the man's actions and comments.

I think it's a bit much to put something on another school's property, but DPS needs to be aggressive in order to reclaim those students.
    Maybe instead of placing signs and buying ads and treating it as a marketing campaign, putting those scarce resources into educating students might be a better idea. Just sayin' ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    OK, but that point is completely unrelated to the man's actions and comments.
    I don't see how. He didn't want them putting signs up, but DPS has to be aggressive in their campaign.

And DNerd, I'm not going to argue with that.

Ravine Guest

I don't see any way of explaining that is any different from the explanation the man gave during the filming. It's right in there.

I don't see any way of explaining that is any different from the explanation the man gave during the filming. It's right in there.
    Well the broader picture is DPS lobbying for their students. This picture was him angry they put those signs on the school lawn. DPS isn't going to listen to one guy complaining. If River Rouge doesn't want DPS to be on/near their property, then let them complain. Who the heck is he? The principle/superintendent? He is stirring a pot that doesn't need to be stirred.

First of all, if it wasn't for all the kids from SW Detroit going to Rouge, that district would be in much worst shape than its already is. I can't blame DPS for being aggressive in going after Detroit kids. The ironic thing is that because the high school and the middle school is basically right across the border from Detroit, its actually easier for the Detroit kids in that section of SW to go to the Rouge schools rather than the DPS schools.

Well the broader picture is DPS lobbying for their students.
    This statement could be misconstrued that the school is lobbying to provide a quality education for their students. But only in the sense of using a marketing campaign to try to get back "their" students from open-enrollment institutions is DPS lobbying for its students -- that is lobbying for them back ... at least in time for that all-important head count ... and the attendant government subsidies.

This picture was him angry they put those signs on the school lawn.
    Did you not hear his complaints? I thought he spoke plainly and clearly.

DPS isn't going to listen to one guy complaining.
    Of course not. If DPS wouldn't listen to thousands of parents complaining about the quality of their education, why would they listen to one guy in the suburbs?

If River Rouge doesn't want DPS to be on/near their property, then let them complain. Who the heck is he?
    Something DPS probably has little experience with; a citizen voicing an educated opinion.

He is stirring a pot that doesn't need to be stirred.
    In other words, nobody should discuss the horrible quality of Detroit Public Schools, the idiotic marketing campaign dreamed up by Bobb, and -- despite some great teachers and a few excellent academies -- the festering turdpile that is public education in Detroit. No, Detroit wants those students back, and so nobody must discuss the obvious truth -- which is, again, for the most part, DPS is a failure.

LodgeDodger Guest

It was rude and shameful for Detroit to place those signs on another district's property. I'm glad the guy put up a fuss. I would have done something similar.

I thought the guy did pretty well, plus he got great coverage, so his point is made.

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    I thought the guy did pretty well, plus he got great coverage, so his point is made.
    Not so fast, JL. It seems that a guy can be absolutely clear, and quite explicit, in his statements, and still the point is missed.

Not so fast, JL. It seems that a guy can be absolutely clear, and quite explicit, in his statements, and still the point is missed.
    Yes, well, one must consider the audience, eh...

Pingu Guest

It looked to me as if the volunteers were putting the signs back onto the property even after he'd objected. Wasko has no shame. Here he's standing in another district and speaking poorly about the school. Where's the professional courtesy?
    Last edited by Pingu; August-30-10 at 03:13 PM.

Maybe the gentleman from River Rouge should be more concerned with educating the children in that district;

http://detnews.com/article/20100830/...ids-in-suburbs

"Wasko pointed to data that show DPS is doing a better job compared to the schools they've targeted. DPS' ACT composite score was 15.5 this year compared with 13.4 for River Rouge, according to state data."

There's a lot of finger pointing at DPS [[which is eearned finger pointing) but let's not give River Rouge a free pass.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Maybe the gentleman from River Rouge should be more concerned with educating the children in that district;
    In fairness, there's no way to prove that this man isn't concerned with improving education for children in his district. Since when do we criticize citizens and taxpayers for uttering their opinions? Do they have to have a card proving that they have donated such-and-such time for community service or tutoring before they may offer an opinion?

Just recently I'm have watched a 1961 Sidney Potier classic move called 'A Raisin of The Sun'. Later in the film, A black family, who are living a run down apartment in the Chicago's South Side, just brought a pre-suburban like 3 bedroom ranch in Clybourn Park neighborhood in Chicago's West Side. Then, when this low-income African American family are packing up, A white family man[[ from the Clybourn Park Neighborhood Block Club) came into the apartment. He asks the family to sell the house immediately. However they refused. Just about their finances is almost running dry, they decided to take the investment risk and move to their new home for the rest of their lives.

A true River Rouge resident Stephen Jackson, A River Rouge Graduate, saw what DPS campaign people are doing to lure kids and parents from the suburbs to enroll in Detroit Public Schools by putting their 'Im in' posters in front of the vacant lot that is own by River Rouge Public School District. So he took his fight by taking the 'Im in' posters away from River Rouge School Property. He will keep on doing it and urging River Rouge residents not to enroll their child[[ren) in DPS.

The Clybourn Park resident from the classic film is not racist, but represents racism drawn from the request of fewer racist white folks in Clybourn Park. Stephen Jackson, River Rouge resident is too not against Detroit Public Schools or any Public and Charter School ,but he represents what he believes in to get River Rouge residents to stay in their school districts.

River Rouge Public Schools is in the school of choice program, but not to the extreme like Detroit Public Schools. It's fine for DPS to spread the word to other suburban communties, just don't do it within people's private property without their permission. Our once'socialized' public school system in America is now being treated as a right just like a any other media corporation to have the same rights as a human being under the 14th Amendment of the Bill of Rights. Public School districts needs students so that the state will give them free money and prevent further budget problems and shutting down a school building. Most inclosed school districts will dissapear, but folks like Stephen Jackson will fight the system for a better democratic society.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

Because I am a Detroit Public School graduate. Cody High School Class of '03.

Neda, I miss you so.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    In fairness, there's no way to prove that this man isn't concerned with improving education for children in his district. Since when do we criticize citizens and taxpayers for uttering their opinions? Do they have to have a card proving that they have donated such-and-such time for community service or tutoring before they may offer an opinion?
    This thread includes quite a few generalizations about DPS ignoring the poor quality of schools [[or people not willing to discuss it). Well, DPS is trying to regain students to become financially stable which is a component of improving education. River Rouge is apparently doing a shitty job educating students but nobody here wants to discuss that. Instead people are defending his actions and bashing DPS for offering a poor product [[which is accurate).

I would think that the criticisms levied at residents of Detroit, DPS, etc should also be levied at River Rouge parents, citizens and the those that are affiliated with River Rouge.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast