Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: 16MM Film

Default 16MM Film

Sorry if this is too off topic, but this weekend I bought a Singer Graflex 16MM film projector at a garage sale [[in Detroit! There, on topic!) and was wondering if anyone had any experience getting something like that to run. Also, any places in the city that have any 16MM films for sale?

I've been collecting 16mm for over 35 years. I'm pretty sure that all of the local libraries that lent out film have sold or dumped their collections. eBay is probably the best place to buy films.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Golick View Post
    I've been collecting 16mm for over 35 years. I'm pretty sure that all of the local libraries that lent out film have sold or dumped their collections. eBay is probably the best place to buy films.
    Do you know anyone that could possibly fix this thing? It's not even turning on...

By not turning on, do you mean completely dead? Email me detroittvguy@ hotmail.co m. [[remove the space between the o and m.

Hey there Ed ! : >)

6. Default

I could look at it if you'd like--not saying I'd know, but I used to own a 16mm projector and curate a series. Maybe I could figure something out.

Ebay is probably the best, or small libraries deaccessioning.

I found this on Google: http://www.detroitfilm.org/index.html
    ...maybe they'd have a lead for you on various 16mm questions?

Lastly, if you want, I can bring you some of my old films next time I drive back to my hometown. You can have it. The friend I gave my collection to never finished picking it up. I wanted to bring it with me to Detroit, but moving those films was as arduous as moving everything else I own put together.

Yay 16s, and yay for you for picking up this vanishing technology!

Quote Originally Posted by claireianthelibrarian View Post
    I could look at it if you'd like--not saying I'd know, but I used to own a 16mm projector and curate a series. Maybe I could figure something out.

Ebay is probably the best, or small libraries deaccessioning.

I found this on Google: http://www.detroitfilm.org/index.html
    ...maybe they'd have a lead for you on various 16mm questions?

Lastly, if you want, I can bring you some of my old films next time I drive back to my hometown. You can have it. The friend I gave my collection to never finished picking it up. I wanted to bring it with me to Detroit, but moving those films was as arduous as moving everything else I own put together.

Yay 16s, and yay for you for picking up this vanishing technology!
    Awesome! I sent you a private message.

I have this film, I don't know what size it is. I am assuming it's tv studio film.
    It has a metal strip down one side. I unrolled it a bit and it's a cartoon. Any suggestions for getting this transferred to something else to play it?

http://www.michigancivildefense.com/...g.w560h326.jpg

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...98P71/k042.jpg

Your film is 35mm. Generally labs won't do a digital transfer,unless you own the copyright to the film.

Since it's a DOD film, I'm sure it will take alot to get the copyright, if there is any.
    Much of the Civil defense stuff was without copyright, so that everyone could make copies to give to the masses. But that's mostly paper printed items.
    Now I know what size it is. Thanks Ed!

11. Default

Pushtina, got it!

Ed Golick, out of curiosity, when did DPS dump their collection? I'm just wondering because the public school library system where I'm from only did it fairly recently, and they had us watching them in classes well into the mid 90s.

I'm thinking about 15 years ago. Dump is the correct term, as they loaded the film library onto pallets and left them outside in the rain.

Film Craft Lab in Farmington Hills [[long long ago they use to in the Cass Corridor)
    I have not been here in years but this where I use to get film stuff
    this is the web site
    http://www.manta.com/c/mm7lzpn/film-craft-lab