Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Could this work in Detroit?

What donors are you going to get to contribute this program? How can you ensure the money will go to the kids as planned & not diverted off somewhere to school board members wants & whims, administrative staff wants & whims, and the wants & whims of anyone else who could get their hands on the funds before it goes to the kids?

That's teaching kids a terrible lesson, and sets them up for all kinds of issues down the road!

Agreed kathy2trips. So now we have to bribe our children to.......to learn? To do well in school?
    Does everyone who has completed their education get some kind of retro pay? I mean.....I'm sure I could have done better if someone was paying me to do my homework.
    Maybe I missed it....but are these kids getting taxed on this, or are they now working under the table?

Other than the difficulty in administering such a program, one has to consider the theory behind it. My guess would be, that we would be walking a slippery slope doing something like this. I can see all kinds of problems from cheating to grade inflations etc, etc, etc.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...8589-2,00.html
    "...In principle, Fryer agrees. "Kids should learn for the love of learning," he says. "But they're not. So what shall we do?" Most teenagers do not look at their math homework the way toddlers look at a blank piece of paper. It would be wonderful if they did. Maybe one day we will all approach our jobs that way. But until then, most adults work primarily for money, and in a curious way, we seem to be holding kids to a higher standard than we hold ourselves...

The Knowledge Is Power Program [[KIPP), one of the most successful charter-school networks in the U.S., has been doling out financial incentives for 15 years, using a model that happens to align perfectly with the results of Fryer's study. KIPP students get paid for actions they can control — getting to school on time, participating in class and having a positive attitude — with "money" they can redeem for supplies at the school store..."

Last edited by maxx; August-29-10 at 07:00 PM.

DPS is closing buildings and laying off staff.

It would be a little difficult to use what little money it does have to "pay" students to do well in school.

Quote Originally Posted by MCP-001 View Post
    DPS is closing buildings and laying off staff.

It would be a little difficult to use what little money it does have to "pay" students to do well in school.
    They'd have to look for grant money for a demonstration project.

PS is closing buildings and laying off staff.

I don't think I am in favor of this, but DPS has quite a bit of money, just not enough to pay for its oversized infrastructure and administration. Currently we spend that money without educating the vast majority of those kids. If money motivated them to show up for class, much less do the work, we would probably be ahead.

Paying kids for grades is not a good idea. A better one? Boarding schools.

During the week, any kid [[troubled, average, etc) could live in a structured environment where they would be taught to study, taught consequences, taught responsibility and thinking skills. With guidance concerning video games, tv, songs, etc.

Who decides? The education system.

Think it smacks of something sinister? Well, it is the 21st century - everybody is watching everybody else. And, children have so many influences from the media influencing them with parents who just can't parent; our society is failing and not just in Detroit.

Why not give them 100 bucks for every A grade and that cash is then put into some sort of holding account or college fund? That way it won't be pissed away on new jordans or some stupid shit that they don't need.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Why not give them 100 bucks for every A grade and that cash is then put into some sort of holding account or college fund? That way it won't be pissed away on new jordans or some stupid shit that they don't need.

That actually sounds good for real...

Deferred awards [[like a college fund) are unlikely to be as effective. People who can defer gratification long enough to appreciate a college fund would most likely be motivated by the intrinsic benefit of college. Near-term awards appeal to people who need near-term benefits for motivation.

How about a mix of immediate and deferred gratification?

This idea of rewarding schoolchildren, sadly, would probably be an improvement.

We got cash if we did well enough on the MAP tests. I'm not sure if that is still the case. They also had drawings for prizes.

It's probably the best thing in principle. It might work, though.

Quote Originally Posted by leannam View Post
    ................not
    .................\/
    it's probably the best thing in principle. It might work, though.
    There. I imagine that's what you meant.

Oh boo-hoo, fryar's jumping on the DYes correct your fellow posters, they're-their-there, its-vs-it's train. Fryar's jumping on lots of trains tonight.
    Last edited by fryar; August-31-10 at 11:23 PM.

Sorry. Yeah, it's probably NOT the best thing in principle. We want to inspire kids to excel just because they should.

Money talks, though.

The money grant for grade proposal is a excellent ideal. It worked for the students in Harlem, N.Y.C. N.Y. Graduation rates went up in some N.Y.C. Public School Districts. The money grant for grade proposal will be used for the scholarships when the get into colleges. It could worked for Detroit Public Schools and other Michigan public school districts. Now we just needed a private and federal funds to do it and that will be very tricky.