Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Quest to live in the 'D' is on the ropes

How much work do you have to do to buy a house in Detroit?

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/section...ge=PersonaBlog

Sorry to hear these woes. A friend tried to buy a house across from us. He offered $36,000 and kept getting a runaround. The house eventually sold a year later for $6,000. It is now the worst looking house on the street.

DetroitPole Guest

You can probably repeat this story a ton of times over. When I bought my house, I had my share of problems, namely with the Water Department, and the city inspector flagged me for a bunch of bogus crap. That pissed me off the most, since half of the city is in ruins and most cities around here don't even have civic inspections, yet dude wanted me to install outlets in my breakfast nook for unknown reasons.

The other problems I encountered were from the holder of the short sale, Bank of America. They pulled some really crappy stuff, like uping the price after we had signed all the purchase agreements. On a vacant house in Detroit that wasn't getting any better with age.

They really should streamline buying a house in Detroit to make up for all the trials and tribulations you will face when you actually live here.

[quote=DetroitPole;177158]the city inspector flagged me for a bunch of bogus crap. That pissed me off the most, since half of the city is in ruins and most cities around here don't even have civic inspections, yet dude wanted me to install outlets in my breakfast nook for unknown reasons. [quote]

Was your financing FHA? If so that may be the reason for the excessive inspection requirements and 'bogus crap'. If not then the city is just being ridiculous.

Its hard enough for someone with no 'connections to cut the red tape dealing with Detroit officials.

Gee, imagine how tough it would be if you pissed off anyone.

[[No, I do not mean you, jt1)

DetroitPole Guest

[quote=jt1;177165][quote=DetroitPole;177158]the city inspector flagged me for a bunch of bogus crap. That pissed me off the most, since half of the city is in ruins and most cities around here don't even have civic inspections, yet dude wanted me to install outlets in my breakfast nook for unknown reasons.

Was your financing FHA? If so that may be the reason for the excessive inspection requirements and 'bogus crap'. If not then the city is just being ridiculous.
    It was indeed FHA. I didn't know that meant anything to the city inspector though. The place needed an ACR regardless of my financing.

I know that house in Arden Park and my partner and I briefly considered it on our home search -- until we saw it was a Fannie Mae sale. We were advised to stay away from Fannie Mae at all costs. They're usually rife with issues, multiple buyers, lost paperwork and other problems. A $69K home in an area that's still hard to get into will probably attract tons of investors who can easily cut through red tape, too. Compounding that is everyone is trying to buy into Boston-Edison right now. Every agent we worked with told us it was a nightmare.

I personally think cash sales are the new way to go. We eventually settled on a home [[not in B-E) in fair shape without having to do a mortgage. Minimal red tape with all parties involved once you put a check on the table. Other than the pre-sale inspection done by the city, we haven't had any issues with dealing with the city. I'm still seeing homes in B-E going for less than $20K, if you can pony that up.

"Everyone"'s trying to buy in Boston-Edison? That has to be good news...

Great, some shit-head pushin' crack can come up with 25K in a month and buy a house in BE.

[quote=DetroitPole;177220][quote=jt1;177165]
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    the city inspector flagged me for a bunch of bogus crap. That pissed me off the most, since half of the city is in ruins and most cities around here don't even have civic inspections, yet dude wanted me to install outlets in my breakfast nook for unknown reasons.

It was indeed FHA. I didn't know that meant anything to the city inspector though. The place needed an ACR regardless of my financing.
    So basically you're saying you'd have rather he let stuff slide so as not to inconvenience you?

DetroitPole Guest

[quote=bailey;177348][quote=DetroitPole;177220]
    Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post

So basically you're saying you'd have rather he let stuff slide so as not to inconvenience you?
    No.

If by inconvenience, you mean slap me with thousands of dollars in repair costs, where as if this home were located across the border in Grosse Pointe [[and the housing stock is virtually identical in some cases) there would be no city inspection.

The inspection costs $295.00 each time, and once the repairs are completed, one must then pay for another inspection, in which the second inspector can flag whatever new things he likes.

I did it and all, just kind of silly, given that most cities around here don't require it at all yet in Detroit you have to and you have people living in collapsing shacks, illegal dumping everywhere, etc...

Just try to imagine buying a business in Detroit. I've said for years that I enjoyed living and owning a business in the city, due in no small part to the residents and customers. But, I hope to never have to enter city hall again during my lifetime. Insult is added to injury then more injury and insult just for good measure. In the past I proposed Detroit should be writing awards to automobiles parked downtown rather than tickets. The city should have a monthly award for businesses still in the city. Until problems at city hall are corrected, most interested parties will pass on doing business there.

[quote=DetroitPole;177452][quote=bailey;177348]

No.

If by inconvenience, you mean slap me with thousands of dollars in repair costs, where as if this home were located across the border in Grosse Pointe [[and the housing stock is virtually identical in some cases) there would be no city inspection.

The inspection costs $295.00 each time, and once the repairs are completed, one must then pay for another inspection, in which the second inspector can flag whatever new things he likes.

I did it and all, just kind of silly, given that most cities around here don't require it at all yet in Detroit you have to and you have people living in collapsing shacks, illegal dumping everywhere, etc...
    You absolutely do have to get a CofO from the GPs [[maybe not all of them, but at least 4) harper woods too IIRC... its about $150.00-200.00. IIRC you have 4 months to complete the repairs. Personally I'm all for it, especially at time of transfer . I want aggressive enforcement of it as well.

Frankly as an investor and home owner in Detroit, I would have thought you would be for making them as stringent as possible in requiring the housing stock be fixed up and brought to code .

[quote=DetroitPole;177452][quote=bailey;177348]

No.

Perhaps your attitude had a little to do with your experience. I rehabbed my Detroit house and the inspectors were nothing but helpful. I had stuff that they flagged and they told me to call them back when I had them completed and they came out the next day! No additional inspection fee either. You would be surprised as how far a little courtesy and civility goes..............especially when you need somebody to help you out.

You obviously think that since the house is in Detroit it can be any kind of unsafe piece of crap and nobody should care or have to do anything about it. By all means, go buy a house in Grosse Pointe if you don't want to look at "collapsing shacks, illegal dumping everywhere, etc".

Quote Originally Posted by pffft View Post
    "Everyone"'s trying to buy in Boston-Edison? That has to be good news...
    Oh yeah, it's definitely good news, but bad news if your hopes are high for getting in. The first house we bid on was on Edison St. and we thought we had it in the bag. It had only been on the market for a day, looked at it the day after and overbid after we walked out the door. After two weeks of waiting to hear back from the bank who owned the home, we found out an investor from South America [[of all places) had come through with a bid more than twice the amount. Who's to say what'll happen with the house after that, though. You win some, you lose some...

DetroitPole Guest

Perhaps your attitude had a little to do with your experience. I rehabbed my Detroit house and the inspectors were nothing but helpful. I had stuff that they flagged and they told me to call them back when I had them completed and they came out the next day! No additional inspection fee either. You would be surprised as how far a little courtesy and civility goes..............especially when you need somebody to help you out.

You obviously think that since the house is in Detroit it can be any kind of unsafe piece of crap and nobody should care or have to do anything about it. By all means, go buy a house in Grosse Pointe if you don't want to look at "collapsing shacks, illegal dumping everywhere, etc".[/quote]

????
    I never saw the guy. I was at work when the inspector came. He has no idea who I am, and I have no idea who he was. I guess maybe I should have been nicer?

I'm actually a pretty nice person.

Also, I love and live in this city but I'm not looking at it through rose-colored glasses, either. Don't tell me to live in Grosse Pointe.
    Last edited by DetroitPole; August-31-10 at 07:15 PM.

Also, I love and live in this city but I'm not looking at it through rose-colored glasses, either. Don't tell me to live in Grosse Pointe.
    Yes. we know. GP is not authentic enough for you.

DetroitPole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Yes. we know. GP is not authentic enough for you.
    I'm sorry, but I wasn't talking to you. Like most people, I have many personal reasons for chosing where I would wish and not wish to live and that is really none of your business, nor do you know anything about me. I never stated that GP was not authentic enough for me, so please don't make assumptions.

I don't understand how a comment like that is allowed to fly here, yet if I were to say, "Yes. we know. Detroit is too ghetto for you." that would be unacceptable. Double standard.

Yikes, you really took that jazz thing to heart, didn't you? Guess I struck a nerve.

Sorry your rationalizations aren't working out for you.