Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Gun laws?

Default Gun laws?

I know that it is illegal for private citizens with a CCW to carry firearms when they will be consuming alcohol. I also know that off-duty police are required to carry.

What I want to know is what are the restrictions on off-duty officers who are drinking?

I was in a Cass corridor watering hole the other day when I witnessed something that makes me very nervous. The bar's manager approached a patron sitting at the bar from behind and playfully put him in a headlock. It was obvious they knew each other, as they were laughing. The patron casually produced an automatic pistol from his waistband and the manager let him go and they continued laughing, etc.

Alarmed, I asked the waitress what this was all about. She informed that the patron was a "regular" and an off-duty Detroit officer. While I was there I watched him consume three pints of beer and two shots of some kind . . in about 40 minutes time. He shouldn't have been behind the wheel of a car, let alone packing heat. This makes me very nervous.

I don't think off-duty officers are supposed to be carrying when drinking, but the only body that would enforce this law would be the police officers, and if they don't have a problem with it, nothing will happen.

My money is on nothing will happen.

For civilians, you are correct. You are not to consume alcohol while conceal carrying. If you plan on drinking the law says you have to remove the ammo from the weapon and lock the weapon in the trunk of the vehicle or another place that it isn't readily available.

Also, you [[civilian with a CPL) cannot conceal carry in a bar where the majority of revenue comes from alcohol sold by the glass and consumed on the property. So a restaurant that sells beer is fine but the local bar with no kitchen is off limits for conceal carry. I went to the Painted Lady in Hamtramck and left my pistol in the truck for this very reason. And we can probably safely assume that it was a semi-auto, not an "auto."

I open carry as well as conceal but if I'm concealing I don't make a habit of lifting up my shirt to show it off, that's just dumb. If it was an undercover, most likely nothing will happen but that is scary.

All I can suggest is that you contact Internal Affairs. I'm not sure what the DPD unit is called, Professional Standards or something like that. There should be a number in the phone book.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    All I can suggest is that you contact Internal Affairs. I'm not sure what the DPD unit is called, Professional Standards or something like that. There should be a number in the phone book.
    I didn't exactly inquire as to his name and badge number. I really just wondered if a different legal standard applied to police. I am sure a different de facto standard is applicable.

I grew up around firearms. My gramps was a retired USMC gunnery sargeant. If any of us kids had ever been caught doing something like what he did . . . well I probably wouldn't be typing this now.