Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default B. Nektar meadery

While at Mudgie's enjoying a sandwich the soup was made with mead from B. Nektar meadery. Given the fact that I cant get their website to work I was wondering about your thoughts, experiences and what retailers sell this mead.

Brad and Kerri Dahlhofer from the B. Nektar Meadery seem pretty cool. They did a mead-making session for the All About Bees program in Detroit.

I've been a fan of theirs for a couple of years now. They have mead tastings the first & third Fridays of every month at their meadery in Ferndale. They usually run from 5-10 pm. They are always making batches of "special recipe" meads that are usually quite interesting. They had a strawberry one last year that was pretty tasty. They had a ginger one last Christmas that was quite an interesting beverage. You can buy at one of their tastings or call them directly. I also know that they sell at Merchant Fine Wine in Dearborn and the liquor shop, whose name escapes, at 9 mile & Hilton. There's a bunch of other places too, but these are the only ones I can remember off the top of my head.

How is mead?

Quote Originally Posted by fryar View Post
    How is mead?
    It's pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by fryar View Post
    How is mead?
    Mead can be a little syrupy, sort of like a liquer. But sometimes it gets cut with fruit beverages like cider, and becomes a "cyser". Pretty darn good that way, although sometimes the "high" can feel a little sleepy.

Theres an Irish mead that can be bought at local liqueur stores. You might try that out while looking for the other.

Good stuff!

You can find it at Foran"s Grand Trunk Pub on draft or by the glass from bottles

If Pauly is behind the bar talk to him about it

He sometimes helps them out bottling it!

Its well worth the trip to go to one of their tastings. I really like their bourbon barrel mead.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    and the liquor shop, whose name escapes, at 9 mile & Hilton.
    i think it's just called the "9 and Hilton Store" or something like that. i should know, but have actually only been in the place once, and that was before i moved to the neighborhood.

Mead, which is derived from honey, was traditionally given as a wedding present, hence the term "honeymoon."

Thanks for your interest in our meads. We really appreciate it.

Our website is back online, so you can check out the link on the menu called "Where to Buy". It'll show you a list of stores by county and city.

The free tastings are by far the best way to try all that we offer. We typically release a new mead each month. We're open on the 1st and 3rd Friday of each month [[unless it falls on a holiday or another special event weekend). Check our website or call for details.

Brad Dahlhofer
    B. Nektar Meadery
    Ferndale, MI
    www.bnektar.com
    facebook.com/b.nektar
    twitter.com/bnektar

Will there be a tasting on Friday, Sept 3rd, Given the fact that it's labor day weekend?

The market at 9 and Hilton is called the "9 and Hilton Market". Great store.

I called and even though it's a holiday weekend and with arts beats and eats just up the road, they are still having a tasting. I'll report back when I sober up.