Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default WXYZ/Detroit News Poll Results - Monica Conyers et al

[[WXYZ) – An exclusive new WXYZ-TV/Detroit News poll shows Detroit City Council President Monica Conyers is not supported by the majority of people in the city.

The poll was conducted between April 24 and 26. It has a sample size of 400 people, and a margin of error of plus or minus 4.9%. It shows that Conyers currently has a 69% unfavorable rating. Things get even worse when voters are asked if they want Conyers in the city’s top office. Only 4% of people say they would vote for her if she was running as a write-in candidate for mayor.

The poll also shows that Detroiters may be fed up with City Council as a whole. Results show that only 9% of voters are happy with the job the body is doing. As for Conyers leadership on the issues Council is currently facing, voters have a slightly better view. However only 16% give her a positive rating.

We also asked voters about their view of the suburbs. While neither option won a majority, 47% of the voters we surveyed say they trust suburban leaders to work with the city of Detroit. That’s compared with the 45% of voters who say they don’t trust the suburbs to work with the city.

READ THE COMPLETE POLL RESULTS BELOW

I would like to read the list of public figures. For each name I read, please tell me if you recognize the name, and if so, whether your opinion of that person is favorable or unfavorable.

Barack Obama-
    Favorable 95%
    Unfavorable 3%

Jennifer Granholm-
    Favorable 78%
    Unfavorable 19%

Dave Bing-
    Favorable 60%
    Unfavorable 24%

Ken Cockrel Jr.-
    Favorable 62%
    Unfavorable 29%

Monica Conyers-
    Favorable 22%
    Unfavorable 69%

How would you rate the job being done by the Detroit City Council?

Positive 9%
    Negative 90%

Thinking specifically about the job City Council President Monica Conyers has done handling issues where she has taken a public stand, such as the recent Cobo Hall expansion issue, how would you rate the job Monica Conyers has done?

Positive 16%
    Negative 81%

At one time, Monica Conyers said that she was considering running for Mayor in the upcoming election as a write in candidate, but decided against it. If she had run for Mayor of Detroit as a write in candidate and the election were held today, would you vote for Dave Bing, Monica Conyers or Ken Cockrel Jr?

Bing 30%
    Conyers 4%
    Cockreal 42%

Thinking about issues where the City of Detroit and suburban communities in Oakland County, Macomb County and Western Wayne have tried in the past to work together with Detroit on joint projects, or may try to work together in the future, how much do you trust the government leaders of the surrounding suburban communities to fairly deal with the City of Detroit as an equal partner in the development of joint projects?

Trust 47%
    Distrust 45%

i'm happy with this poll - it gives Detroiters a chance to show that we too are fed up with the bullshit in our city.

This poll is inaccurate as it only polls people with phone lines. We all know with the 75% gripping poverty in Detroit that the majority of citizens do not have phones. Also, the questions are phrased in a way too intelligent for the 80% illiterate population to be able to understand. Conyers' true fans probably have a T Mobile cell phone with a prepaid card and a number that changes every other day. This poll just serves to prove that Conyers will be Council President, followed by Pro Tem JoAnn Watson and her band of merry women: BRC and Martha Reeves.

Onward Christain Soldiers - marching off to self destruction.

I'm sorry, but no.... no. I can't let you get away with that. ...no

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    This poll is inaccurate as it only polls people with phone lines. We all know with the 75% gripping poverty in Detroit that the majority of citizens do not have phones. Also, the questions are phrased in a way too intelligent for the 80% illiterate population to be able to understand. Conyers' true fans probably have a T Mobile cell phone with a prepaid card and a number that changes every other day. This poll just serves to prove that Conyers will be Council President, followed by Pro Tem JoAnn Watson and her band of merry women: BRC and Martha Reeves.

Pleaseeeeeeeee.

You actually think that the people you describe in your argument are actually going to show up and vote?

Blahaha!!

[[I do smell sarcasm)

Although you might be able to swing it for the right price$$

Waiting for your response DC. Make it good cuz Crumbp needs a good head slap

Whew, I'm glad I'm not in the 80% of illiterate Detroiters......Too bad you watch too much television. You really believe that Detroiters [[i.e. Black folks) are so dumb they can't answer a question about who they support?

Suburbanites like yourself give Monica Conyers too much credit. She does not have Detroit held hostage. She can be voted out. All it take is a voice. One voice which can turn into many. Oh as for those true fans of Conyers keeping her in office well even the Republicans could not win with just those true fans so let her keep her "true fans."

WXYZ should have added the question, "How do you feel about people who don't look like you?".

Overall, I see this survey as a positive step in the right direction.

MIRepublic Guest

Anyone ever heard of sarcasm?

Jennifer Granholm-
    Favorable 78%
    Unfavorable 19%

I totally disagree that most detroiters don't have land lines. Those whom do have land lines are the older generation [[those whom were not raised up on the mobile phones). These are those whom are a little more financially stable and majority are educated Detroiters from my experience with my family members and friend as well as their family members. All to say if those polled are financially stable/educated or plain and simply "old school" the poll is quite accurate. Therefore Ms. Conyers can get to steppin.
    Last edited by exdetroiter; May-01-09 at 08:33 AM.

I do not own a landline, but I'm a well educated college student with a future... and I'm white. Did I mention I live in the city of Detroit... I don't want to "get the hell out," I do feel safe here, I don't support Monica Conyers and I WILL be showing up at the polls. So.... according to Crumbled_Pavement, I'm a freak of nature... a modern day miracle of Detroit.....

Geeze Crumbled_pavement, apparently you are too old and senile to remember things that happened in the past [[a sweeping generalization back atcha...)...

Such as that crook Alonzo Bates being voted out of office during the last citywide election....

And yes 48 percent of the voters in that election voted against Kwame Kilpatrick... so there's a bigger percentage than the 20% of Detroiters you claim actually are educated.
    Last edited by Gistok; May-01-09 at 01:58 PM.