Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Streamline/Art Moderne Building - What Was This?

I love what's left of the Streamline/Art Moderne architecture in Detroit. Recently, I've [[re-)discovered another building on my side of town and I'm kind of curious about it.

Does anyone know of the original usage of 4800 Cadieux? It knocks me out because it's a darker brick, which you don't often see in that style. It is also has a huge setback from the street with parking in front. It's an entire block in width, pretty huge for that time, I'd think.

I'd forgotten what my parents told me it was, but it looked like a castle to me. Maybe it was a hotel, hospital or apartments? Wouldn't mind hearing about other buildings I might have missed, too. Thanks!

That's a really cool building. Actually the brick seems very common. There's a lot of these of similar style that went up in the 40's in Chicago and New York and have the same color redish-brown brick. Looks like it's doing well

That's is St.Joesph Manor...been a nursing home facility for years...may have been built as such. A lot of Grosse Pointe elderly ladies and gent's would end up there after discharge from St. John's. I visited a couple of old foks who had been long term members at St. Paul's Cathedral who were from the Pointe's. 10 - 15 years ago it appreared to be a well run, clean, staffed facility. Can't vouch for today.

EastSider Guest

It's original name was St. Joseph's Home for the Aged.

My son's school band puts on concerts there a few times a year, and the word 'old' doesn't come close to describing the folks in there. The common areas are clean and in fairly good condition, and the staff seem nice enough.

So it has always been a home for the elderly? Cool that that was its intended purpose. I wonder when it was built, as post-WWI was the first generation to not-necessarily live with their kids in their golden years. From the looks of it, I want to say late 30s, though I'm not sure when that area was first developed. I know there were many old houses closer to downtown that were converted into old-age homes, but I suspect this was a pretty innovative project at the time.

The Virtual Motor City has photos of the ground breaking [[8/13/1936) and the laying of the cornerstone [[11/8/1936).

1936 would put that right at the Streamline heyday. And Bishop Gallagher resplendent in gold and white vestments with a trowel in hand? And Msgr. Murphy yanking at his cape? Priceless! Thanks for satisfying my curiosity everyone!
    http://dlxs.lib.wayne.edu/cgi/i/imag...ND-2%5D47885_2

OMG, the bishop is a Mason!

9mile&seneca Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    OMG, the bishop is a Mason!
    It's all falling into place now...

Last edited by Whitehouse; August-29-10 at 08:56 AM.

1874 would be architecturally right in line with the mansard roofs and other Second Empire elements of the older building; Victorian architecture was little more than an unwieldy eyesore in the mentality of the day. It makes sense the sisters would want to go ultra-modern [[by 1936 standards) with their new facility.

Here's a listing of similar homes circa 1928. I was struck by the number of charities of various persuasions that maintained and supported various homes and asylums. Note the lack of government intervention in these institutions. Detroiters were very charitable people!

There's nothing listed at that corner on either Cadieux or Cornwall in the 1928 Polk directory.