Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default A Dozen Undercovers Raid Cass Corridor Building

Today, August 25, 2010 at approximately 10:00 am, I witnessed four regular midsize cars pull up in front of the old Hotel Fort Wayne/American Hotel on Cass and Temple. About a dozen people, a couple even were female, jumped out of the cars and popped their trunks. They took of their street clothes and underneath they had POLICE t-shirts with badges on chains around their necks. They all grabbed what appeared to be M-16 assault rifles and ran into the abandoned hotel. One guy even had a backpack holster thing that was carrying large bolt-cutters and an axe. Thinking that this was odd and maybe a movie shoot, I drove around the block and around Cass Park but saw no cameras or crew of any sort. I also live across the street from the hotel and work down the street from the hotel and heard nothing of a film shoot or saw anything the rest of the day. These undercovers came back out of the building very slowly after sweeping the building, got into the cars [[michigan plates) and took off. Strange and weird, wondering if anyone else saw this or heard about it? Thanks

The hotel is heavily used by the local prostitutes and johns, I would not be surprised if they were trying to shut that down.

"They took of their street clothes and underneath they had POLICE t-shirts with badges on chains around their necks. They all grabbed what appeared to be M-16 assault rifles and ran into the abandoned hotel. One guy even had a backpack holster thing that was carrying large bolt-cutters and an axe."

Seems strange they would take the time to strip off their street clothes...other than that it sounds like an old fashioned raid of a suspected location. No bullit proof vests? Bullit proof vests, jackets, etc. would be a must these days. Bolt cutters and the axe are normal...i remember they used ot use a mobile battering ram to gain access to buildings.

Don't the bullet proof vests go under the cloths? That battering ram use to be parked over at the old school in Brush Park.

Strange and weird,
    A raid is the Cass Corridor is strange and weird? Hardly.

That building hasn't been open for very long. It was sealed up until this year. Now, almost every time I ride by, there's scrappers in the alley.

And it breaks my heart because the interior was in pretty good shape. I had to do some very creative climbing to enter it a while back. It wasn't tagged or scrapped.

I actually called the owner's company and told them it was open with scrappers inside and left a very... passionate... voicemail. Nothing was done to secure it after I called.

I had to do some very creative climbing to enter it a while back.
    You're complaining about scrappers, yet you're trespassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    You're complaining about scrappers, yet you're trespassing.
    Not that I really think trespassing is all that great, but did you really just equate it with scrapping? Scrappers destroy the value of buildings, leaving them nothing more than a hulking shell. "Urban explorers" really only go in to take photos and document the building's condition. Just because two things are both illegal does not mean they are the same.

Ooh, I knew that was coming. Explorers are regularly compared to scrappers and vandals on this forum.

I'll have you know that I have NEVER used forced entry, no have I broken anything once inside a building. Take only pictures, leave only footsteps.

That was the Michigan Department of Corrections and Wayne State Police officers working together to locate Parole Absconders in Midtown and Cass Corridor.

Quote Originally Posted by Road_warrior View Post
    That was the Michigan Department of Corrections and Wayne State Police officers working together to locate Parole Absconders in Midtown and Cass Corridor.
    That sounds about like the most reasonable explanation for this....ill bet you are 100% correct...thanks

Did you spot Jack Bauer?

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    Did you spot Jack Bauer?
    Yes, I did see him! Ohh no wait! That was a dream I had, sorry!

lincoln8740 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Road_warrior View Post
    same crew hit an abandoned building on selden a few weeks back