Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Helecopter at 12 & Dequindre?

My mother lives in suburbia. She says there is a helicopter that has been above her place [[approximately) for about two hours. Moving a bit, but nor going away... Anybody in the area see this?

Don't know about that, but a week or two ago I was doing work in the Taylor area and there was a helicopter that circled around Telegraph and Eureka road for an hour.

Can anyone shed light on reasons a helicopter would circle around a specific area for so long?

Can anyone shed light on reasons a helicopter would circle around a specific area for so long?
    Local news chopper filming a fire or car accident or police situation would be my guess.

It's one thing for them to be out during normal hours, but those damn things have shocked me awake at 2 a.m. I know they were news choppers because I saw the footage on the news. Sorry newsfolks, your right to film vague, dark images relating to a story does not supercede my right to a good night's sleep

I'm really not in favor of news birds anyways. Aerial views of most events just aren't that important.

I always have visions of the WKRP helicopter dropping the [[frozen?) turkeys as a Thanksgiving promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    I always have visions of the WKRP helicopter dropping the [[frozen?) turkeys as a Thanksgiving promotion.
    "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly".[[Carlson)
    They weren't frozen, they were live.
    "Oh, the humanity"[[Les Nessman)

In Phoenix a situation like this would almost always be a police helicopter searching for a suspect -- especially late at night. I knew this because I'd listen to them on the scanner. I gather from the above that it's more likely to be a news helicopter around here. True?

I can't remember that intersection very well. Are there any taller buildings where they might be setting an air conditioner or other equipment on the roof?

I saw the news story about the news chopper crash a month or two ago in the area. I was suprised to see the logos of channels 2, 4, and 7 on the side. One chopper, and three different angles for the five o'clock news. That explains the time spent hovering.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I can't remember that intersection very well. Are there any taller buildings where they might be setting an air conditioner or other equipment on the roof?
    There's a short hospital tower at 11.5 mile and Dequindre, a couple of short apartment towers next door to that, along with a four- or five-story office building across the street. The only really tall tower in the area is a, maybe, 10-story apartment building at 11 mile right off of 696.

My guess would be work being done on the hospital tower [[St. John Oakland) it seems like hospitals are always upgrading their HVAC systems.

I've noticed an increase in choppers lately. Maybe coincidence, maybe cross-post to Paging Gannon, I really don't know. They aren't black.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    I saw the news story about the news chopper crash a month or two ago in the area. I was suprised to see the logos of channels 2, 4, and 7 on the side. One chopper, and three different angles for the five o'clock news. That explains the time spent hovering.
    Huh? They each have their own choppers. I'm confused. You can drive by and see them, WDIV's is on their roof. The others have pads outside their studios.

I haven't seen any black ones in years.

But perhaps this one with ALL the logos is a counterfeit?!

Hiding in plain sight.

Huh? They each have their own choppers. I'm confused. You can drive by and see them, WDIV's is on their roof. The others have pads outside their studios.
    Maybe somebody can find out, because thats what I saw.
    I know they used to all have they're own choppers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...d_to_make.html

http://mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/viewto...=30633&start=0

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...d_to_make.html

"In case you're wondering how three TV stations share one helicopter, there's a reason why: The copter is owned by Metro Traffic, a division of media company Westwood One. Each station leases out the copter for traffic coverage and other needs, per MIBuzzBoard."

Jcole:
    "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly".[[Carlson)
    They weren't frozen, they were live.
    "Oh, the humanity"[[Les Nessman)

Best KRP episode ever!

-- Tim

Hey Johnlodge-

All three stations share one chopper these days. Been that way for about a year now. It was a huge money saving move.

Quote Originally Posted by miketeevee View Post
    Hey Johnlodge-

All three stations share one chopper these days. Been that way for about a year now. It was a huge money saving move.
    Thanks, I hadn't heard.