Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default DPS 2010 School Report Card - ESD

There aren't too many surprises on this list for most of us, but it's worth a look, especially if you haven't had much personal interaction with the Detroit schools for the past 15-20 years or longer:

http://www.excellentschoolsdetroit.o...lity-scorecard

Also, please note the high school test scores -- this is a perfect analog to the WSU black graduation rate thread. I will post this link over there as well.

This this report clearly shows that on average DPS school out perform charter schools.

Quote Originally Posted by noenaim View Post
    This this report clearly shows that on average DPS school out perform charter schools.
    True ! but one must understand that for inner city parents unlike those in the burbs safety is an important part of the equation of where do I send my kid to school. In some cases safety trumps academics. Remember we are dealing with perceptions and you know that with many people perception is reality.

How so? Scrolling through the report, they actually seemed more or less evenly distributed. Doing a little data analysis with Excel on the high schools produced the following results:

School Type .............ACT08 ACT09 ACT10 ACTAvg
    Charter Schools .........14.51 .. 15.01 ..15.12 ..14.97
    Detroit Public Schools 14.81 .. 15.00 ..14.85 ..14.93

School Type .............PrfRd AdvRd PrfMa AvgMa Grad%
    Charter Schools..........0.29....0.00....0.09....0.00..... 0.60
    Detroit Public Schools 0.29....0.00....0.10....0.00.....0.62

Those look really comparable to me.

Since we're compiling data, it's also worthwhile comparing the private schools:

School Type.................ACT08 ACT09 ACT10 ACTAvg
    LOYOLA [[Private).......13.10....14.50....15.10.....14.23
    UofD JESUIT [[Private) 23.70....24.00....25.20......24.30

I saved myself the trouble of formatting the proficiency percentages in reading and math, since I'm sure you get the idea.

For anyone who is unfamiliar with ACT scores, like myself, try this helpful link.

EDIT: Aaaaargh! Lowell, please add tables functionality to the board.
    Last edited by fryar; August-26-10 at 12:04 PM.

I just had another look at that ACT link. An ACT score of 15 puts you at the 14th percentile in the country, meaning 14 percent of the country that year got your score or worse. 19 is at the 42nd percentile - better, but being average is also wishful thinking.

School Type ACT08 ACT09 ACT10 ACTAvg PrfRd AdvRd PrfMa AvgMa Grad%
    DETROIT AVERAGE 15.30 15.60 15.50 15.47 0.36 0.00 0.15 0.01 0.64
    MICHIGAN AVERAGE 18.80 19.00 19.30 19.03 0.62 0.03 0.49 0.11 0.79

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Also, please note the high school test scores -- this is a perfect analog to the WSU black graduation rate thread. I will post this link over there as well.
    Yes, they're not graduating people ready for college.
    From ACT "Measure Up" website on a score of 16:
    Many colleges with open enrollment policies offer programs to help you prepare for work or further education.

[QUOTE=fryar;176212]How so? Scrolling through the report, they actually seemed more or less evenly distributed. Doing a little data analysis with Excel on the high schools produced the following results:

School Type .............ACT08 ACT09 ACT10 ACTAvg
    Charter Schools .........14.51 .. 15.01 ..15.12 ..14.97
    Detroit Public Schools 14.81 .. 15.00 ..14.85 ..14.93

School Type .............PrfRd AdvRd PrfMa AvgMa Grad%
    Charter Schools..........0.29....0.00....0.09....0.00..... 0.60
    Detroit Public Schools 0.29....0.00....0.10....0.00.....0.62

Those look really comparable to me.

Since we're compiling data, it's also worthwhile comparing the private schools:

School Type.................ACT08 ACT09 ACT10 ACTAvg
    LOYOLA [[Private).......13.10....14.50....15.10.....14.23
    UofD JESUIT [[Private) 23.70....24.00....25.20......24.30

But I thought Charter schools were the way soo much better.
    Politicians from both parties are pushing charter schools as some kind of savior for public education. Since Detroit charter schools are comparable to DPS schools Why do we need charters at all? Children are just moving form mediocre DPS schools to mediocre charter schools.

Understood. I also feel that these statistics do not bear out the hype about charter schools, and it may just be hype. I expected to see them outperforming DPS. Your comment is why I went to the trouble I went to instead of just shooting off my mouth, as usual.

But I thought Charter schools were the way soo much better.
    Politicians from both parties are pushing charter schools as some kind of savior for public education. Since Detroit charter schools are comparable to DPS schools Why do we need charters at all? Children are just moving form mediocre DPS schools to mediocre charter schools.
    Bingo. They're also moving to the suburbs in increasing numbers, much to the chagrin of many districts.