Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default ManLady on Washington Boulevard

there is a guy that dresses like a women and usually i spot him around michigan and washington boulevard area [[near westin hotel) in the mornings when driving to work. he looks to be about 50-60 years old and a manly looking guy but always has on ladies clothing and a long platinum blonde wig. lately he's been hauling around luggage and bags in a shopping cart. has anyones else seen him...does anyone know his story?

why don't you try talking to him and finding that stuff out for yourself

lilpup Guest

sounds like the person who sat at the blackjack I was at one night and hit naturals all night - including a couple in a row. Hope the gambling didn't take her down.

I came across this individual laying the middle of the street around midnight near the Leyland Hotel a few months back. When I first pulled over, I thought it was a woman laying there, but when I walked over to see if the person was alright, I realized "she" was actually male. He was very disoriented so I attempted to help him up but it took several tries. Cars were coming, and it was difficult to see him on the ground because he had on a black trench coat. After about 5 minutes of directing traffic, I was able to get him to the curb and pick up most of his stuff, which included a bunch of rotten fruit and some hot dogs without buns that had fallen out of his bags. I felt really bad. I tried to figure out where he was going or if I could help him in some way, but he was very much incoherent. I ended up leaving once I saw that he was able to walk. In hindsight, I maybe should have called the police but didn't want to him to be arrested, plus DPD likely wouldn't have shown up anyways for something of that nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Mind field View Post
    In fairness, the OP is driving to work to work of all places. Not the sort of occasion at which one pulls over to chat up a street person, even if one is generally inclined to broaden one's horizons or what-have-you.

That, and the OP is driving, period, so isolated from his or her surroundings, and his or her fellow man. Of course he or she is not going to ask them. Zing!

We've run across her at the Motown Cafe Grill in Cadillac Square. She had a coffee and toast, I think, and spent some time in the bathroom. As we left, we said hi and she replied back with the same, in a distinctly low, male voice. This was some months ago and perhaps things have gone downhill? Still, she was just a part of the streetlife in a big city, no harm, no foul, at least on this occasion.

Beanietek is just trying to hear a story about a colorful Detroit person - a person that I see often and who seems to want attention. Beanietek should be forgiven for having Damon Runyon interests but not particularly wanting to jump out of the car and ask directly about the person. This person talks loudly to herself while walking around Downtown and seems a little aggressive to me. I keep my eyes down and walk on by when I see her. She is pretty big and seems physically powerful.
    It may appear sad to you or me, but she does seem to be living the life she wants - independant, on the streets, not tied down to meetings or counseling or any societal demands.

Approaching a probably wacko simply out of curiosity is an invitation to disaster. WHOGAF?

Is this the person you are referring to?
    I was riding my bike up Woodward when I first noticed this person and stopped to ask if I could photograph them and they agreed. I believe I was given Silvia as a name but I didn't have a notebook so I'm not sure. Seemed like a nice person and I hope they are doing well.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/RajDet/S...08802689570274

Quote Originally Posted by Mind field View Post
    could be asking for trouble. you never know

Silvia must be new. I used to eat in Motown Cafe Grill fairly frequently, as I was living in that building. Never met her.

This is hilarious. I never thought DYes would have a thread about the Washington Boulevard Transvestite.

Ralph, that is Silvia on one of her better looking days, normally she is kind of a train wreck...

rajdet: Yes, that is she -great pic - thanks!!!
    and thanks to all who responded to this as well .....just wanted to get a little insight so that if/when i do pass her on the street and say hi, I don't want to get bitchslapped cause it looks as if Syliva could dislocated something i may need later.
    ps: BrushStart you are a good soul.

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    I came across this individual laying the middle of the street around midnight near the Leyland Hotel a few months back. When I first pulled over, I thought it was a woman laying there, but when I walked over to see if the person was alright, I realized "she" was actually male. He was very disoriented so I attempted to help him up but it took several tries. Cars were coming, and it was difficult to see him on the ground because he had on a black trench coat. After about 5 minutes of directing traffic, I was able to get him to the curb and pick up most of his stuff, which included a bunch of rotten fruit and some hot dogs without buns that had fallen out of his bags. I felt really bad. I tried to figure out where he was going or if I could help him in some way, but he was very much incoherent. I ended up leaving once I saw that he was able to walk. In hindsight, I maybe should have called the police but didn't want to him to be arrested, plus DPD likely wouldn't have shown up anyways for something of that nature.
    Thanks for being concerned and showing it by attempting to help.