Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Does the English D stand for Dope Boy?

During the past few days I have been pulled over twice by the cops , as I was driving around the east side of Detroit in my big white Suburban.

In both incidents, cops in un-marked cars pulled me over for some made up reason, looked at my drivers license and guess when they see in a white guy in business clothes with Tiger Parking and Ticket stubs sitting on my dashboard they decide to leave me alone.

I just put on a brand new Detroit Tigers English D on the back of my truck on the lower left hand corner of the window.

Now my friends at work, a few of them who are from the "Hood" are telling me when you put the Detroit Tigers English D on the left side of your rear view glass it says that there is a "Dope boy" inside my vehicle.

Before I get out the razor to remove it and go to Comerica Park again tomorrow to buy another English D Logo for the right side of my truck, is there any truth to this?

These cops are a bit hard core, the last one to pull me over was wearing a black T shirt and smoking a big cigar.

There's another article on here somewhere or the papers about police pushing their tactics up a notch. Their favorite is to just roll up on people walking down the street and stare at them to see if they'll freak out and run because they have something to hide. Also they are pulling any bs excuse to stop motorist and search for guns. I'm all for the Police to clean up this town, but it also a police force that is not free from abuses or corruption so it's best to just know your rights: http://www.aclu.org/drug-law-reform-...what-do-if-you

lilpup Guest

It's probably more the big white Suburban with what looks like heavily tinted glass than it is the Olde English D.

I got that the other night walking down Vernor Highway.

In Grosse Pointe Park.

Lucky for me, there were three black youth...two riding double to a bike...just ten feet or so behind two white girls, one riding a bike and the other on roller blades...going the other way. I never saw a cop do a U-turn like that on a two-lane street. Swoop. Little pause and they were on their way.

So, let's get this straight. We complain when there are no cops. We complain when they do their job.

Is it a shakedown?! Oldest trick in the book.

They might get you for impersonating a dealer, though. Not for the sticker, but for the sparkling SUV!

Ravine Guest

You're so right. The original question is insignificant; the important thing is what happened to you, or what almost happened to you, or what you think happened, or almost happened, to you, or what you want us to believe happened, or almost happened, to you.

Carry on.

No, the English D does not stand for Dope Boy.

But if the cops who pull you over THINK it stands for Dope Boy, that's your problem. A guy who crewed up on COPS some years ago said the deputies told them the 2 big radio stations out here, one an alternative one & the other heavy metal, were shorthand for "drug users", BOTH deputies stated pulling over any car with those stickers on them would result in a drug arrest. We all know that's a terrible fallacy but I'd rather not have the sticker than put up with the grief

The "Old English D" stands for different things in different places. I'll tell you, it was quite a shock to go to Pittsburgh and see that it stands for Duquesne [[doo-KANE) University there!

The police have been profiling white dudes with pick-up trucks with Red Wing stickers for years. If they look out of place, especially in Blightmoor, you can expect them to pull up behind you and run your plates at the next light. It's wise to have your tags current, and lose the sticker.

Blarf Guest

The "Drug War" is a great use of time and money. I'm glad drugs are almost impossible to find.

Yes, drugs and poverty are literally being eviscerated! We should have victory in these two wars any day now.

Quote Originally Posted by fryar View Post
    Yes, drugs and poverty are literally being eviscerated! We should have victory in these two wars any day now.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    Wow. That guy looks like he's working hard, really hard.

Just put a Lions sticker in your rear window, the cops will feel sorry for you and leave you alone.

I hate to inform everyone here, but it does stand for exactly that, sort of. My English D has caused me much drama with Warren, Dearborn, Detroit and Ypsilanti police over the years, in the same location, all of them are searching for drugs. When I asked, someone finally told me [[Detroit Police of course, all other departments don't seem to care to admit why they pulled me over...) I've had one in this position on my Jeep for years now. But mine is much bigger.

Funny I ran into this topic.... I see I'm not the only one. But since I'm a black guy in his early 20s, driving a relatively newer vehicle, usually wearing street clothes, I never get left alone. Searched, interrogated, etc etc...
    Last edited by Marlon_JB2; September-07-10 at 10:53 AM.

If the cops know about, it no longer means that. By the time they figure it out, the symbols have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by JJD View Post
    If the cops know about, it no longer means that. By the time they figure it out, the symbols have changed.
    Yes, yes. The cops are all knuckle-dragging troglodytes, so inept . . . blah, blah, blah. I am by no means a DPD booster, but I drink at a couple of cop bars. I've got to tell you, they are a lot closer to what happens on the streets than you think. Haven't you ever seen Ice-T on Law and Order SVU? Or Huggy Bear on Starsky and Hutch?

Criminals are dumb. Doubt there is a new symbol.

I'm still not removing it though. No drugs to be found.

There was a certain jacket guys in the D were wearing a couple years ago that someone told me was the "dope man's" coat. lol

I worked in Detroit and got pulled over in over Ferndale in which he asked me why I was coming from Woodward/Seven Mile area. Profiling! it's everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by MizMotown View Post
    There was a certain jacket guys in the D were wearing a couple years ago that someone told me was the "dope man's" coat. lol

I worked in Detroit and got pulled over in over Ferndale in which he asked me why I was coming from Woodward/Seven Mile area. Profiling! it's everywhere.
    Was it those hoodies with "DETROIT" across the middle?

I think your friends are messin with you. I also think it possible that a big English D screams suburbanite in town looking for drugs. I dont see a whole lot of Detroiters with Ds on their windows or bumpers. BTW Im originally a suburbanite and feel lucky to have grown up in the stix.

JJD^ I also think is correct.

but DR cracks me up

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Just put a Lions sticker in your rear window, the cops will feel sorry for you and leave you alone.

I just love it that ppl are finally waking up and seeing the drug war for what it really is, a complete failure. Has there ever been a war on a commodity?

There was an e-mail chain mail from a few years ago that listed gangs and what college/pro gear each one wears. It was way beyond the red=bloods and blue=crips. There was some gang in another part of the country and they all wear UM stuff. Could have been busted by Snopes, but it seemed plausible.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    I dont see a whole lot of Detroiters with Ds on their windows or bumpers.
    You haven't been looking hard enough. I know of two others, besides myself.

Was it those hoodies with "DETROIT" across the middle?

Nah, it was a brown winter jacket. I can't remember exactly what made it stand out but there were sure alot of folks wearing them on the streets... lol

I have a co-worker who I have dropped off a few times in the southfield/warren area. I've been propositioned many time to make a buy because i'm white, even once had a rock thrown into my window with a phone number taped to it at the gas station. It is crazy over that way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast