Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Say No To War-WSU Thurs. Aug. 26 1:30 PM

1)
    DEMONSTRATION:SAY NO TO WAR!
    Protest Admiral Mullen
    Thursday, Aug. 26
    1:30 PM
    Wayne State Community Arts Center [[450 Reuther Mall, Detroit)

* NO more escalation in Afghanistan
    * NO more lies about Iraq
    * NO $170 billion a year for death and destruction in Iraq and Afghanistan!
    * Money for JOBS, EDUCATION, and COMMUNITY!
    * NOT WAR!

Town hall meeting @ 2:15, in Community Arts Auditorium, will feature ADMIRAL MICHAEL MULLEN, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, highest ranking military officer in the USA. Mullen will address the need to provide health care, education, and financial assistance to returning service people.

Default I Think You're Saying the Same Thing!

Ridge, in your post you're requesting "MONEY for JOBS, EDUCATION, and COMMUNITY". It appears that Adm. Mullen is asking for "the need to provide healthcare, education, and financial assistance to returning service people"

Kinda sounds like the same thing. Apparently you and Admiral Mullen agree in some respects.

Look, no one WANTS war, and I'm sure Admiral Mullen would like nothing more than to not have have to spend money to fight a war. However, all he can do requsition money, but it's the U.S. Congress that authorizes the spending. Shouldn't you be taking your message to them? Also, with only support service people remaining in Iraq, I would anticipate that the $170B you mention in your post will be reduced with the elimination of combat operations. I expect that the funding for the requests that Adm. Mullen might have could come from a modern "peace dividend". In essence the money is rerouted from war operations to the issues mentioned.

Ok, now let's hear it. I'm sure I've struck a nerve by indicating that you and Adm. Mullen agree in principle.