Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Merci Downtown Lady!

There are really just two forms of spoken American English: the one that will get you a job and the one that won't.

I think we all adjust our spoken language to our surroundings. Certainly one should adher to "proper" pronunciations in the work place.

The phrase in the work place that bothers me is "Have a blessed day" it's a sweet thought but I always question the sincerety.

The phrase in the work place that bothers me is "Have a blessed day"
    That's one of the phrases that will likely get you tossed off my contact list.

Suffice it to say...the English language is rich with dialects, accents, registers, regionalisms, colloquialisms, and additions from numerous other language sectors. I didn't read where anyone had the experience of "aunt" being pronounced like "ain't". Having grown up with southern grandparents, parents and relatives, this was the standard pronunciation--and still is among the matriarchs and patriarchs.

I've heard that now that I think of it.

Then of course there's Sheriff Andy and his Ain't Bea.

Pingu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I've heard that now that I think of it.

Then of course there's Sheriff Andy and his Ain't Bea.
    That nails it. My wife is a total hillbilly, and she'll often end her statements with that characteristic positive inflection. And I bust her chops by calling her "Ant" Bea, not "Ont" Bea. And wasn't Mayberry in S. Carolina anyhow?

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
    That nails it. My wife is a total hillbilly, and she'll often end her statements with that characteristic positive inflection. And I bust her chops by calling her "Ant" Bea, not "Ont" Bea. And wasn't Mayberry in S. Carolina anyhow?
    North Carolina, I now live in South Carolina, and I assure you. . .it is ten fold worse here!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4