Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

This thread was reopened by someone after being dormant for 7 years. If you reply to a 7 year old post.... I wouldn't get my hopes up for a response.....

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    My reason for like Detroit is that it is still cheaper than living in other big cities such as Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, and Atlanta. There is much more room for developers to play with but still have homes to live in cheaper than living in an apartment in Manhattan. Hill Harper had paid a cheaper price for the house in Boston Edison, just over $1M than he would had paying for a 3 bedroom condo in Manhattan or anywhere in New York and two of it's burroughs
    I agree.

But the difference in price is even bigger than you think. Last year the average apartment in Manhattan sold for $2.2M. Prices came down slightly in 2017 but you'd still have a very hard time finding even a studio apartment for $1M in Manhattan unless it has serious problems or is above 125th street. Same goes for several prime neighborhoods in Brooklyn. I'm not sure what is the sale price for a typical 3BR, but in Manhattan it's currently around $7500 per month to rent -- down 8% from last year. Insane!

Average Manhattan apartment prices top $2 million
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...tate/95436584/

Manhattan, NY Rental Market Trends
    https://www.rentcafe.com/average-ren.../ny/manhattan/
    Last edited by bust; December-27-17 at 11:06 PM.

I would say that Detroit would be a much more livable city if residents have a more walkable community and more than one way to travel around in a more convenient timely way. New Yorkers, Chicagoans, and Los Angelos cost of living may be higher than Detroit but their have better amenities in their communities that make up for it. One would have to use a car to travel into the suburbs just to purchase an iron or bed sheets. Bring back the decent bakeries. butcher shops, Variety corner stores, and get rid of the gas station/convenience stores for start

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I would say that Detroit would be a much more livable city if residents have a more walkable community and more than one way to travel around in a more convenient timely way. New Yorkers, Chicagoans, and Los Angelos cost of living may be higher than Detroit but their have better amenities in their communities that make up for it. One would have to use a car to travel into the suburbs just to purchase an iron or bed sheets. Bring back the decent bakeries. butcher shops, Variety corner stores, and get rid of the gas station/convenience stores for start
    Part of the reason for that is because NYC, Chicago and Los Angeles have a diverse or recession-proof enough economy that generates enough decent-paying jobs to attract the demographic [[wealthy and educated people) that can support the amenities you describe.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2