Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Revisiting Motown Music Passion [[and more)

I'd like to follow-up on a 2008 story about the fellow who used up his vacation time and a good chunk of his savings to produce four NEW tunes in the old Motown way.

Here is the Detroit News article from then:
    http://www.detnews.com/legacy/editio...12-2008_1A.pdf

Many of you may not know it, but there is an entire music genre in the British Isles sparked by what happened here in the Sixties...called Northern Soul.

My friend and musical associate Buddy Smith is one of their top-ten inspirations...if you search YouTube you will find one of his early-sixties 45s with over 4500 downloads.

He sang for us during brunch at Foran's Grand Trunk Pub on Sunday. [[we didn't know he was going to be there, either!)

Mr. Dixon became an immediate hero of mine when the stories hit about his collaboration with Dennis Coffee and a few other of the fellows who used to be known as the Funk Brothers, and are now together under the banner of the Detroit Historical Musicians Association.

I remember hearing it in the news, but oddly it passed like a fad. Passion like this doesn't melt away...and leaves lasting impressions.

His recordings are now available on vinyl...but oddly not marketed yet here in the States. You can find him through his blog:

http://bandtraxs.blogspot.com/

I am inspired to continue working with Buddy Smith as he and the other Historical Musicians spread the Spirit of Detroit through their amazing musical giftings.

Cheers, all.

Holy Toledo!

I just went to YouTube to get that link...and his hits went from 4700 last month to 5400 today.

Wow. I am stunned.

Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TsbYMll4TE

If faux Motown is what you're looking for, check out the album "Men Without Women" by Little Steven and the Disciples of Soul. Released in about 1982. The songs and arrangements are great. The only problem is Steven's voice. You keep wishing it were Smoky Robinson singing instead of him.

Hey Gannon,

I know Carl.
    I was at the Studio for those sessions.

Awesome....

Leo B

LeoB!

We're going to have to talk about those times.

You still working downtown?! Haven't seen you in a year.

Cheers,
    John