Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Saunteel Jenkins for City Council

April 30, 2009

Jenkins announces candidacy for Detroit City Council

BY NAOMI R. PATTON
    FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER
    With the endorsements of some prominent names labor and politics, Saunteel Jenkins, former chief of staff to revered Detroit City Council President Maryann Mahaffey, announced her candidacy for the city council Thursday morning.

Surrounded by family, friends and campaign supporters at Martin Luther King Park off West Grand Boulevard, Jenkins, who worked for Mahaffey for six years, received the endorsements from City Council members Sheila Cockrel and Kwame Kenyatta, AFSCME Local 25 President Al Garrett, Metropolitan Detroit AFL-CIO Executive Vice President David Hecker, Detroit Federation of Teachers President Keith Johnson, and Mahaffey’s husband Herman [[Hy) Dooha.

Cockrel said “wholeheartedly” endorsed Jenkins, offering to welcome her to the council’s “sanity caucus.”

Dooha said he was honored to support Jenkins, who said “her ability to be sensitive means that she will not be an embarrassment to the city.”

“She doesn’t have to learn on the job,” he added.

Jenkins, a Cass Technical High School graduate with bachelor’s and master’s degrees in social work from Wayne State University, is currently director of the residential treatment program at the Mariners Inn shelter and substance abuse treatment center for homeless men.
    Cynthia Pasky, president and CEO of Strategic Staffing Solutions, promised robust fundraising as co-chair for Jenkins’ finance committee.
    Also attending Jenkins endorsement was former Detroit Police Deputy Chief Gary Brown.

Monica Conyers has been arguing on City Council for 4 years.

Joann Watson has been arguing on City Council for 6 years.

Sheila Cockrel has been arguing on City Council for 16 years.

Sheila's been a part of the insanity of council all by herself. She was always arguing with Sharon Mcphail before Conyers and Watson got there. Now those 3 I can see arguing with. But, she used to argue with Brenda Scott and Maryann Mahaffey all the time too, and those two are polar opposites of the other three. Sheila is always going to argue with someone, it's her nature.

Talk about politics making strange bedfellows. You have Gary Brown there in support of Saunteel Jenkins, who is best friends with Christine Beatty who tried to ruin Gary Brown's life.

You gotta love this city.

She's got my vote. She's got good people endorsing her, and her boss was a great woman.

We've actually got 9 people who could do a decent job this time around. I hope she makes it.

Quote Originally Posted by spiritofdetroit View Post
    We've actually got 9 people who could do a decent job this time around.
    Name them.

Cockrel
    Jenkins
    Tate
    Pugh
    Brown
    Kenyatta
    Bennett

Okay, not quite 9, but at least we could potentially remove Conyers, Reeves, Collins with some decent people.

But not mine. I think the reporter erred. Whyever would Gary Brown lend his name and prestige to someone else when he is announcing his own candidacy this week?

As to Sheila Cockrel - any intelligent young woman [[that you know from work) would seem to be a fine hope when you are surrounded day after day with the crazy old ladies who are her work-mates.

And as to Jenkins' best friend: it is none other than Christine Beatty. Jenkins is known by the company she keeps, and she learned a lot from Christine - like how to be kept pet of important people.

I imagine that she did a good job for Mahaffey, but she's only 39 and knows nothing of the world outside the City-County Building. Ken Cockrel was a journalist and a county commissioner. She is far more of a insular bureaucrat than he is.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    But not mine. I think the reporter erred. Whyever would Gary Brown lend his name and prestige to someone else when he is announcing his own candidacy this week?

As to Sheila Cockrel - any intelligent young woman [[that you know from work) would seem to be a fine hope when you are surrounded day after day with the crazy old ladies who are her work-mates.

And as to Jenkins' best friend: it is none other than Christine Beatty. Jenkins is known by the company she keeps, and she learned a lot from Christine - like how to be kept pet of important people.

I imagine that she did a good job for Mahaffey, but she's only 39 and knows nothing of the world outside the City-County Building. Ken Cockrel was a journalist and a county commissioner. She is far more of a insular bureaucrat than he is.

Sheila is one of the crazy old ladies.

I do agree with you somewhat on the comments about Saunteel/Christine. She did let Gil Hill's old ass hit it.
    But, I know of a lot of people that felt the same way about Karen Cavanaugh and Amy Amador [[as far as the not knowing enough of the outside world part, not the company you keep part) and they've carried on very well for the most part. So who knows, maybe she's matured and grown enough to do a good job on Council if she makes it. They better take the cars away from Council Members for sure if she does.

As far as Ken Cockrel, she's far less than an insular, and might I add insecure, bureacrat than he is. All he's done is trade off his name the same way Sheila Murphy, oops, my bad, Cockrel and Joel Loving, oops, my bad again, Coleman Young II have. He's a joke, as I'm posting this, he's trying to pressure City Council into giving Karl Kado, you know, the guy that bribed the Cobo Directors, another contract.

Spirit, I agree with you about Brown & Bennett, I do question some of your other selections. I WILL NOT support any current councilperson. I don't think any is worthy of re-election. All of them have had ample opportunity to improve this city with little/no success.

I am not sure why people are automatically jumping on the Pugh/Tate bandwagons. Tate was a part of the Kilpatrick regime, so how is he change for the better? I would like to know who is supporting his campaign. He may be a good, or is he a front for those that have already robbed and pilaged this city? Too early to tell. I ain't accepting him yet.

Pugh is a question mark. [[see Tate) I am willing to wait and see on him.

Please check out Andre Spivey, I think you might like what you find.

There may be 400 candidates running. There should be some real good choices.
    Probably a bunch of jokes too, that should be easily dismissed.

Lets not get caught biting at the first ones with name recognition. Or rationalizing about any current councilmember deserving another opportunity. Detroit cannot afford to wait another four years to select a qualified council. We must get it right now.

Jmil,

I agree that all of those I listed are not the ideal candidates... But, I think there is no doubt they would be an improvement. Of course, that's not saying much.

I think if you look at Cockrel's voting record you will like what you find. Yes, she argues a lot, but look at the idiocy she is surrounded by. Her arguments are always based on whats best for Detroit, she doesn't seem to have any agenda in picking and choosing her arguments. She may be an angry old woman, but she I can understand why. I think we need a little anger among our leaders.

We'll have to take a look at where Spivey stands on things.

Spirit, S. Cockrel normally is one of the most informed members on most issues facing the council. Sometimes I agree with her, sometimes I don't. My biggest problem with re-electing her is she has served 4 terms. Give her a gold watch and a going away party. Time for new blood and a new direction at the table.

Cockrel
    Jenkins
    Tate
    Pugh
    Brown
    Kenyatta
    Bennett

Wow, that's a whole lot of FAIL.

If Detroit city government has shown us anything, it's that the status quo and their long-time minions are the problem, not the answer. All of the current council members need to go - even the vaguely reasonable ones like Cockrel and Kenyatta. What's wrong Matthew Naimi or the other community activists that have actually accomplished something within and for the city?

I really don't think Detroit govt needs another rep with a social work background. The city needs people with creative/business backrounds, preferably among those who've at least displayed a shred of ethical behavior in the past.

Default experience

G-Dub says it all. 50 Years of social workers in political positions in Detroit has gotten us where?

MIRepublic Guest

And, not just that, can Detroit stop with the "church ladies" and reverends, already? I've always been wary of people running for office with religious titles in front of their names, as it is. In Detroit, it should be an instant red flag and blaring siren.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post

You have it dead wrong. Jenkins is not best friends with Beatty. This is a lie. They went to high school together along with 2,000 other students. They know each other but are not best friends. Jenkins will do an excellent job for the city. We need someone young and intellegent. Shelia Cockrel is one of the best members we have. How can she be expected to not argue when she has to work with those idiots. We need to get rid of, Crach Head Conyers, Reeves, Talabi, Watson, and Baby Rose Collins.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinmotown View Post
    You have it dead wrong. Jenkins is not best friends with Beatty. This is a lie. They went to high school together along with 2,000 other students. They know each other but are not best friends. Jenkins will do an excellent job for the city. We need someone young and intellegent. Shelia Cockrel is one of the best members we have. How can she be expected to not argue when she has to work with those idiots. We need to get rid of, Crach Head Conyers, Reeves, Talabi, Watson, and Baby Rose Collins.

Yeah right. I guess they weren't friends when Saunteel Jenkins got into a car accident several years ago and Christine Beatty showed up and had Saunteel Jenkins taken care of leaving the other driver as practically a victim of a hit and run. This is documented. Now, I do agree with the five that need to go, but, I have no problem getting rid of Sheila Cockrel as well, since 1994 she's been a part of the problem.

Detroit doesn't need nine of any one kind of person. Detroit needs a diverse council and there is certainly a place for one or two "social workers". I prefer to say socially-minded people. MaryAnn Mahaffey was of that sort. JoAnn Watson, although more radical, is also of that sort. The citizens will not be well served if there is not someone on council willing to fight to the bitter end for them on issues that are not just "business-related". The incinerator comes to mind.

A diverse council with a good mixture of male/female, racial/ethnic diversity reflecting the entire Detroit population, 30-somethings through 60-somethings [[sorry, but scientists say that the brains of early to mid 20-somethings are still developing), business/government/social/financial/technologically astute people, college educated and/or demonstrating good analytical capabilities.

I don't like arbitrary extremism, so I can't say never elect someone with name recognition or someone who has served a long time, but let's mix it up real good and elect a bunch of qualified "nobodies" who have done some work in the community that we can look at.