Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Baker’s Keyboard Lounge

The current owner of Detroit’s legendary jazz club Baker's Keyboard Lounge has recently filed for bankruptcy. Does anyone have any memories of going there to see the jazz greats in the 1970s and 1980s? Who did you see? What other jazz clubs were popular in Detroit during that period?

This probably happened circa 1977, I'd have been about 21.

I'd fallen hard for a girl I'd met at MSU. She was older than me and more sophisticated than your typical coed of the times. I wanted to impress her with my "coolness" in the worst way.

I'd heard that there was this really hip jazz club on Livernois a little south of Eight Mile Road called Baker's Keyboard Lounge. She'd told me she was into jazz; what could be better than taking her to a place like that? I'd only recently started listening to that kind of music -- when it came to jazz I didn't yet know my ass from a hole in the ground.

I called the club and made reservations for a Saturday night. I picked her up and we went to the club. I was glad I'd dressed up a bit, as this was a far more sophisticated place than I was used to going to.

There was a trio on stage that night. I'd never heard of them -- some old guy on drums and a couple younger guys playing with him. The music was great and we really dug the whole vibe of the place. It was a great night.

I never managed to win her heart, but I was fortunate to attend her son's wedding about a year ago. We remain the dearest of friends to this day.

Who was it playing that night? Only Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers.

As a former staffer at WEMU, got to see many shows there for free back in the day. Nat Adderly Quintet stands out in my memory.

Back in high school in the '70's, Baker's was known as a place that wouldn't card if you behaved yourself. Plus, as Vic notes above, it was a pretty sophisticated place to take a date. I really wasn't much of a jazz fan, but it was quite pleasant to suck down gimlets and impress girls with your faux worldliness in the candlelight. However, as a result, I did get to see and hear many of the greats of that era--Yusef Lateef, Ahmad Jamal, Roland Kirk, Leon Thomas, Archie Shepp, Sun Ra...

Just think if all of the "jazz lovers" at the upcoming Detroit International Jazz Festival went to Baker's regularly and gave them consistent business. Too bad. Most of them don't.

This is the second Baker's closing scare in as many years, isn't it? What happened the first time when impending closing was near? Everytime I go, the place is packed, but apparently that's not enough to pay the bills.

Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers as a trio? Maybe. Usually, especially back then, there were four or five "messengers" along with Art. Art's technique was not very "subtle" for trio work, although I'm sure he could do most anything.

Sometime in the late 70's or early 80's, scat vocalist Eddie Jefferson was shot and killed outside by an idiot who felt Eddie had "dissed" him somehow.

I have around 30 LPs and CDs of Art Blakey, and I don't think he's ever recorded a trio under his own name. If he brought a trio to Detroit, maybe it was because 3 of his guys didn't make the gig. Maybe you heard an opening act. Cool story, regardless.

He was touring in 77 and 78 with saxophonists Bobby Watson and David Schnitter, trumpeter Valeri Ponomarev and the great Memphis pianist, James Williams. The bassist was someone I had the pleasure of playing with, the recently deceased Dennis Irwin.

As an aside, Blakey, or 'Bu' as he was called, reshuffled and brought two unknowns into the band shortly after the group above. Two young brothers from New Orleans; Wynton and Branford Marsalis. That is where they received their first national attention.

It was about 33 years ago. Maybe the band was bigger. I was more interested in the girl than the band ... at the time.

Default Shooting Pepper Adams

Attachment 7253
    In 1981 I went specifically to Baker's to photograph Pepper Adams. He was accompanied by the Claude Black Trio. There will be a tribute to Pepper Adams on Saturday at the 31st Annual Detroit International Jazz Festival Sept. 3-6, 2010

For those interested in other Jazz photos - on my web site
    http://www.russmarshallphotographs.n...aphs_JAZZ.html
    Last edited by BRAZZMAN; August-27-10 at 09:49 AM. Reason: more info

Vic- I dig

Russell, cool pics- Eileen looks like a kid.

There's also a presentation on Pepper in the Jazz Talk Tent on Saturday, Sept 4 at 12:15pm. It's by Gary Carner, a jazz research guy who's spent decades documenting Pepper's activities. He has rare video footage and recordings. \
    Immediately following this presentation, we are hosting a panel discussion on Pepper which will include Barry Harris and Gary Smulyan.

We're also having a panel on Blakey in the Jazz Talk Tent -
    The Message: It's About Blakey
    Sunday, Sept. 5, 5:30PM
    Drummer Art Blakey helped develop dozens of outstanding young musicians in his half-century as leader of the Jazz Messengers. We are fortunate to have Randy Brecker, Bobby Watson, Johnny O’ Neal, Mulgrew Miller and Donald Harrison on hand to represent the “Blakey Academy” and share their experiences working with one of the most influential band leaders in jazz history. Broadcaster [[and percussionist) Michael G. Nastos leads this panel.

PS - Buhaina never toured with a trio

Yay!..........

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    Yay!..........
    Wonderful news. I think all of us who love the place and have not visited much as we have in the past should make an effort to go often and encourage others to do the same.

DetroitPole Guest

Incredibly good news. Something to think about when feeling down about Detroit, and as Sam said, a reminder to go there often.

One issue with the article, "gritty neighborhood" Green Acres is gritty now? I guess I better tell my friends who live there. Not everything outside the CBD in Detroit is "gritty", journalists!

Maybe people are putting down grit to keep from slipping on the snow?

Pardon my ignorance as I don't know how these things work, but could they not file for historic landmark status and be eligible for some state funding? Obviously they are a for-profit entity, but perhaps they could form some kind of foundation that works to keep music education in the schools or something like that, which would heighten their exposure. Again, I'm not that bright so forgive me, but I just like the idea of the old girl surviving for years to come.

Great! With this new development, I'll go check it out... haven't been since 2002. Looking forward to it.

I'm a pretty avid reader of both Metro Detroit entertainment papers,
    'Metro Times' and 'Real Detroit'......
    ...and I can honestly say I've rarely, if ever, noticed any advertisements
    for Bakers Keyboard Lounge, or Bakers Lounge.
    I'm not saying I don't know of the place, because I do, and have frequented
    it, although not at all in the last two decades. I used to work in Ferndale on
    Livernois, just north of eight mile, and would travel past their doors twice
    a day, for the longest time.
    Nothing on their marquee, or in front of the place on a sandwich board or anything, ever caught my eye. I believe if more thought and energy, was put into their business....the Jazz Club business...and it's accompanying advertising,
    they would sustain more customers and fans, thereby succeeding in
    their endeavors.
    You HAVE to advertise, as well as bringing in class, national acts.
    ....Just sayin'.....

Hopefully, the new management will do much better on a number of things, including advertising. So glad that they're going to stay open.

citylover Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyFreddy View Post
    I'm a pretty avid reader of both Metro Detroit entertainment papers,
    'Metro Times' and 'Real Detroit'......
    ...and I can honestly say I've rarely, if ever, noticed any advertisements
    for Bakers Keyboard Lounge, or Bakers Lounge.
    I'm not saying I don't know of the place, because I do, and have frequented
    it, although not at all in the last two decades. I used to work in Ferndale on
    Livernois, just north of eight mile, and would travel past their doors twice
    a day, for the longest time.
    Nothing on their marquee, or in front of the place on a sandwich board or anything, ever caught my eye. I believe if more thought and energy, was put into their business....the Jazz Club business...and it's accompanying advertising,
    they would sustain more customers and fans, thereby succeeding in
    their endeavors.
    You HAVE to advertise, as well as bringing in class, national acts.
    ....Just sayin'.....

That shit [[advertising) costs money$$

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast