Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What is the real unemployment rate?

Let me preface by saying, that I have been out of work for 20 months now. College Educated, Accredited Professional, with licenses pertaining to my field. It should also be noted that I have exhausted nearly every option. So I give you this:

What is the Real Unemployment Rate?

lilpup Guest

You've been totally 100% unemployed for 20 months?

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    You've been totally 100% unemployed for 20 months?
    Save for 2 contract jobs I managed to land that had me employed for roughly 3.5 weeks, yes.

lilpup Guest

I hope you've at least been volunteering somewhere or taking classes.

I've continued with my accreditation goals up the point that I can take them without a mentor for my particular field. Learning new software, volunteering for Habitat for Humanity and the like.

Have you noticed the lack of traffic during the week on all major roads? It has been less and less for the past year. I had to to take a rush hour drive on 696 into the mixing bowl and back this AM, I havent driven that stretch in a couple years and was shocked at the lack of traffic at 6:00 am and then at 9:00am. Used to be always stop and go .....

Rate is more like 17-20% i think....

Shadowstats has a graph of unemployment calculated three differerent ways.

http://www.shadowstats.com/alternate_data/unemployment-charts

Not everyone can move for a variety of reasons but have you ever considered moving to a city in North Dakota, or some other employment hotspot, still relatively unaffected by the recession?

"Right now, if measured according to the methodology of 1980, the US unemployment rate is about 22 percent. Thus, the reported rate of unemployment hides more than half of the unemployed."

http://www.counterpunch.com/roberts08182010.html

Relocation is not an issue with me, the only caveat there, is finding a market where I can learn and advance while still staying at the front of my profession. Certain locations and markets are better than others, that's for sure, and while North Dakota may be a hotspot for some types of professions, at this point there are no cities in the Northern Plains that offer sustainable growth for my career.

Sadly, I am forced to look at mostly major cities and economic hubs that offer growth and/or the potential for growth in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by d.mcc View Post
    Relocation is not an issue with me, the only caveat there, is finding a market where I can learn and advance while still staying at the front of my profession. Certain locations and markets are better than others, that's for sure, and while North Dakota may be a hotspot for some types of professions, at this point there are no cities in the Northern Plains that offer sustainable growth for my career.

Sadly, I am forced to look at mostly major cities and economic hubs that offer growth and/or the potential for growth in the future.
    I don't know why I'm pushing N. Dakota so hard but from the article, "Dissecting North Dakota’s Vibrant Economic Growth" -
    " Based on employment growth over the last decade, the North Dakota cities of Bismarck and Fargo rank in the top 10 of nearly 400 metropolitan areas.""In Bismarck, the number of high-paying energy jobs has increased by 23 percent since 2003, while jobs in professional and business services have shot up 40 percent."

The follow up letters are good too. It is ironic that the writers considered North Dakota's economy to be conservative but then go on to mention and praise two peculiarly government solutions to economic probems there. Bismarck, from what I could see of it out of a Greyhound window at 6 am the last time I went through, is a crisp well scrubbed place.

The original NPR article is here. You can listen to the program.
    The Great Plains Boom
    Great Plains cities are booming while the rest of the country’s economy is in trouble. We look at what’s going on in a part of the country some were willing to write off for dead.

...and all the gals there wear daisies in their hair. [[kidding -not all do)

It's always good to volunteer and help others. But that does little good for your bills. Nice thought. I've been volunteering all of my life. I like the good it does and the feeling of contributing back it gives me. Doesn't pay my bills. I would do it regardless, but sometimes [[hey Lowell.....) I think it's a way for our country to get free labor, when it should be financially supporting these programs to a much greater extent. I'm unable to support some of the programs I'd like to support, because of distance, gas and time.

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    It's always good to volunteer and help others. But that does little good for your bills. Nice thought. I've been volunteering all of my life. I like the good it does and the feeling of contributing back it gives me. Doesn't pay my bills. I would do it regardless, but sometimes [[hey Lowell.....) I think it's a way for our country to get free labor, when it should be financially supporting these programs to a much greater extent. I'm unable to support some of the programs I'd like to support, because of distance, gas and time.
    You're absolutely correct, while I enjoy volunteering, I would enjoy it even more if it was something I did on the weekends after working all week. I'm not looking for a handout, but to say I have burned through my savings is an understatement. The thing that really gets to me, is when people say there are jobs available if you want one. Not as easy as that sounds, believe me. I have probably sent out around 350-400 resumes/cover letters, and only gone on 4 interviews in that time.

lilpup Guest

If one is unemployed in this environment it's imperative any potential employer knows you haven't just been sitting on your duff the entire time - that's why I asked. Now that some places don't even bother to look at someone who's currently unemployed you have to hone and push every edge you have.

Of course it's also possible to be too picky in a job search, too. Even if not in your field it might be worth finding *something* and be underemployed instead of unemployed.

Save for 2 contract jobs I managed to land that had me employed for roughly 3.5 weeks, yes.
    In the last 3 years, I've had about 3 months of, on again, off again, part-time work. Pay was about $8.00 per hour. They'd call me off at any time, including as I was driving to or arriving at work. Sometimes I'd work an hour and they'd send me home. It usually took about a half an hour to find a free parking spot. Then I'd walk to work from a distance. The other job I had was about $3.00 per hour. Same thing: show up and be sent home. No nothing. Until about 3 years ago, I had my pick of jobs. I could work as much or as little as I liked.

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    In the last 3 years, I've had about 3 months of, on again, off again, part-time work. Pay was about $8.00 per hour. They'd call me off at any time, including as I was driving to or arriving at work. Sometimes I'd work an hour and they'd send me home. It usually took about a half an hour to find a free parking spot. Then I'd walk to work from a distance. The other job I had was about $3.00 per hour. Same thing: show up and be sent home. No nothing. Until about 3 years ago, I had my pick of jobs. I could work as much or as little as I liked.
    It's not fun, because technically as a contractor, you're not considered employed, so as soon as that project terminates, you can't collect additional benefits from that income. I'm up against a real immovable wall at the moment, to say that I am discouraged is an understatement.

You're absolutely correct, while I enjoy volunteering, I would enjoy it even more if it was something I did on the weekends after working all week. I'm not looking for a handout, but to say I have burned through my savings is an understatement. The thing that really gets to me, is when people say there are jobs available if you want one. Not as easy as that sounds, believe me. I have probably sent out around 350-400 resumes/cover letters, and only gone on 4 interviews in that time.
    These are the true, everyday, real-life stories. Anyone who thinks because they have a job, or because a talking head says the economy is picking up, or people are lazy and don't want to work, is nuts. Those people are vested in politics, partisanship, spin and denegrating their fellow citizens. They'll be the first ones crying should they get laid off. I've sent out hundreds of resumes, interviewed a few times and bought a job [[business) with my retirement savings, that's probably destined for failure due to the economy. Education is always touted as the way out of these situations. Look at d.mcc's credentials. Seems [[s)he's done exactly the American Dream thing: worked hard, educated and contributed.

I suspect the true unemployment rate is at least twice as high as they say it is. Maybe higher. And that's for middle-class white people. Poor white's and blacks are probably in a much, much, higher range.

Makes me so glad to be comfortably retired.

You guys up above.....I truly feel for you. Keep you chin up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post

It's tough Ray. I feel as though I should point out that my goal of this posting [[the thread itself) was not to drum up sympathy for myself or others, but to merely point out that the number of jobless Americans is much bleaker than those figures being portrayed in the media and by the Government.

lilpup Guest

Michigan's un- & underemployed was pegged at around 22% by a local reporter on an NPR show the other day. A Toledo based Ivy League grad called in to ream out a Harvard economist's rosy view on one show and was disconnected and brushed off. A corporate recruiter from Detroit called in and said businesses here didn't even want her sending them exec candidates who were willing to work for a lower wage than they had in the past. The East Coasters don't seem to understand or believe how cutthroat it is out here. They keep spewing "education" among other things, totally ignoring that the educated are underwater, too.
    Last edited by lilpup; August-23-10 at 06:55 PM.

Michigan's un- & underemployed was pegged at around 22% by a local reporter on an NPR show the other day. A Toledo based Ivy League grad called in to ream out a Harvard economist's rosy view on one show and was disconnected and brushed off. A corporate recruiter from Detroit called in and said businesses here didn't even want her sending them exec candidates who were willing to work for a lower wage than they had in the past. The East Coasters don't seem to understand or believe how cutthroat it is out here. They keep spewing "education" among other things, totally ignoring that the educated are underwater, too.
    Especially here in DC where everyone is living in a bubble off the taxpayer dime. I had to leave MI for a job here. Didn't want to leave my home but I had no choice. I don't want to paint a whole group of people a certain color but damn near everyone on the East Coast seems oblivious to the fact that much of the country is hurting.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Especially here in DC where everyone is living in a bubble off the taxpayer dime. I had to leave MI for a job here. Didn't want to leave my home but I had no choice. I don't want to paint a whole group of people a certain color but damn near everyone on the East Coast seems oblivious to the fact that much of the country is hurting.
    My last interview was in DC actually. Still waiting on that one...

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post

Thanks Ray. You're kind thoughts are noted. I have to add that In relative terms, I'm very well off. I volunteer at community food kitchens, the VA, and food warehouses. There is some real bad times out there. It keeps my self-pity in check. Maybe not my anger. I have a roof, heat and AC, and an automobile. My refrigerator is full. My family is all in relatively good shape. Not homeless or hungry, just struggling. I find it difficult to believe a couple of years ago I was comfortably semi-retired, still building my nest egg, and looking forward to volunteering more, helping my family members and living out my American Dream. Unemployment, stock market crash, property devaluation. You all know the stories. It's all borderline now. Corporate America gets money, no questions asked. Working America can't get unemployment, aid, medical coverage or affordable education. Our president is so busy reaching across the aisleway and attempting to appear presidential, he's not doing a damn thing for everyday Americans.

It's tough Ray. I feel as though I should point out that my goal of this posting [[the thread itself) was not to drum up sympathy for myself or others, but to merely point out that the number of jobless Americans is much bleaker than those figures being portrayed in the media and by the Government.
    Right on d.mcc. But you can't help but be discouraged and angry about this shit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast