Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Sufjan Stevens

Default Sufjan Stevens

Sufjan Stevens, a musician born in our fair city released a new 60 minute EP out of the blue the other day, and it's breathtakingly beautiful. You can stream it for free at sufjanstevens.bandcamp.com. Unfortunately he doesn't live here anymore, but in my opinion he's one of the best musicians that has ever called Detroit home. Shame that he won't be playing Michigan upon his upcoming tour...
    Also, if you've never heard his album simply entitled "Michigan" before, do yourself the favor and get this very moving and proud album.

Quote Originally Posted by Pushtina View Post
    Sufjan Stevens, a musician born in our fair city released a new 60 minute EP out of the blue the other day, and it's breathtakingly beautiful. You can stream it for free at sufjanstevens.bandcamp.com. Unfortunately he doesn't live here anymore, but in my opinion he's one of the best musicians that has ever called Detroit home. Shame that he won't be playing Michigan upon his upcoming tour...
    Also, if you've never heard his album simply entitled "Michigan" before, do yourself the favor and get this very moving and proud album.
    Sufjan is supremely talented, and I have had the pleasure to see him play live. I was unaware of this new EP. 'Michigan' is a hell of an album. Thanks for the heads up!

Here will be here October 14th.

http://www.royaloakmusictheatre.com/events.html

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    Here will be here October 14th.

http://www.royaloakmusictheatre.com/events.html
    Figures that it's sold out...

Figures that it's sold out...
    If its anything like the Bon Iver show I went to, tickets were going on stub hub for 700-800$

Quote Originally Posted by d.mcc View Post
    If its anything like the Bon Iver show I went to, tickets were going on stub hub for 700-800$
    Unreal! If you're such a stalwart fan to pay those sort of prices, you'd have been waiting for tickets the moment they became available.

Unreal! If you're such a stalwart fan to pay those sort of prices, you'd have been waiting for tickets the moment they became available.
    Ha! No way would I pay that much! I paid the face value of $18 dollars the day they went on sale!

Ha! No way would I pay that much! I paid the face value of $18 dollars the day they went on sale!
    I feel like serious fans of music get gauged all the time. Especially when buying vinyl off the internet. Spiritualized's "Ladies and Gentlemen We're Floating in Space" was on Ebay for years, always priced around $200-$300 until it got reissued a few months ago and suddenly you'd be a moron if you paid more than $24 for it.

For The Widows In Paradise, For The Fatherless In Ypsilanti...need i say more?

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    For The Widows In Paradise, For The Fatherless In Ypsilanti...need i say more?
    Any song that was on "The O.C." is forbidden from mention in his catalog.

I prefer "Romulius"

see link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVkSdf_AMWM

Sufjian is a wonderful musician. Love his work. I'd like to get it on CD. I'm old fashioned. Not to mention, OLD.

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    Sufjian is a wonderful musician. Love his work. I'd like to get it on CD. I'm old fashioned. Not to mention, OLD.
    Sounds even better on Vinyl

Any song that was on "The O.C." is forbidden from mention in his catalog.

I prefer "Romulius"

see link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVkSdf_AMWM
    and "John Wayne Gacy, Jr" was in Nip/Tuck...doesn't make them bad songs

btw, "Romulus" has no "i"

and "John Wayne Gacy, Jr" was in Nip/Tuck...doesn't make them bad songs

btw, "Romulus" has no "i"
    I blame the phone keyboard!

since we both like sufjan you're forgiven

since we both like sufjan you're forgiven
    Danke!

You should really look into Bon Iver, Andrew Bird, and the Dirty Projectors.

60 minutes is on the long side for a proper album, let alone an EP! In the UK EPs are at the most 4 songs and 25 minutes long. Even though it's not really an EP, calling it that is fashionable, so...

But whatever it's called, it's good for him and good for Michigan's reputation.

I'll take it any day over Kid Rock, or Insane Clown Posse...

Danke!

You should really look into Bon Iver, Andrew Bird, and the Dirty Projectors.
    bitte...i have for emma, forever ago but i haven't listened to it much

bitte...i have for emma, forever ago but i haven't listened to it much
    I would remedy that shortly. Beach Baby is a good tune.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    60 minutes is on the long side for a proper album, let alone an EP! In the UK EPs are at the most 4 songs and 25 minutes long. Even though it's not really an EP, calling it that is fashionable, so...

But whatever it's called, it's good for him and good for Michigan's reputation.

I'll take it any day over Kid Rock, or Insane Clown Posse...
    Right now it's only been released digitally, but his label Asthmatic Kitty are planning a traditional CD and 2xLP release by the end of the year. So, it's going to be an "EP" on double vinyl... That's gotta be a first.

I consider myself a fan of Sufjan Stevens, love his recorded music but I find his live performance of it to be underwhelming. Sufjan's soft voice lacks the power needed to project itself. His vocals work in a small room OK but are too quiet for larger venues. I saw him perform at the Majestic for the Illinoise tour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKctxZ68y0w

D-comments kick in @ 4:05

"Detroit's a unique place because it's suffered so much..."