Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

View Poll Results: Minimalist or packrat?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stuff's outta here as soon as it's no longer used

4 36.36%
  • I keep stuff just in case

5 45.45%
  • I want to get rid of it but for some reason just can't

2 18.18%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    lilpup Guest

Default A minimalist lifestyle

I've been seeing more books, articles, blogs, and websites about minimalist lifestyles recently [[e.g. how to live with 100 things). Certainly the state of the economy is a factor but then I started wondering...It seems that those who most easily adapt and maintain minimalist lifestyles tend to have money to buy what they need if and when they need it - in other words, they aren't impoverished. Now I know some will say it's because they aren't spending thanks to their lifestyle but I think there could be more to it than that, namely a sense of security that those coming from long term poverty don't have. A similar scenario is Depression era kids [[like my dad) who spent their lives hanging on to things they might need or find handy in the future.

Yes? No?

How about if we minimize the polls on here for a while?

We should have a poll about whether or not we should minimize the polls on here for a while

I think there is one

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    It seems that those who most easily adapt and maintain minimalist lifestyles tend to have money to buy what they need if and when they need it - in other words, they aren't impoverished. Now I know some will say it's because they aren't spending thanks to their lifestyle but I think there could be more to it than that, namely a sense of security that those coming from long term poverty don't have.
    On the other hand, there are certainly people who spend their way into poverty. You know, like the people I see who live in a rusted-out mobile home, yet have the 52" television and Ford F-350 truck.

One can say that financial security is made possible by not feeling the need to spend all your money on useless SHIT.

Soon after the USSR crumbled I worked with a guy from Moscow. He was already thoroughly Americanized [[well-dressed, fluent English, surprisingly knowledgeable about U.S. culture, eager to dive into capitalism). I mentioned the recent Downshifting movement in the U.S. and he just drew a deer-in-the-headlights blank. It was incomprehensible to him that anyone here would voluntarily choose to live simply. Such is our image abroad.

I'd like to think I educated him a bit that day.

Oh, and this was long before the global economic meltdown.