Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 ... LastLast

This is the official corner of 7 and Kelly [[I have no idea why the 7 Mile Rd. sign is missing). Milt's Gourmet Barbeque was Aldo's, I think, and just beyond that is Dunn's Inn which was Jay's Paper Station, which was The Paper Station which was Star Bar. The Autozone used to be Calcaterra Funeral Home which used to be a grocery store before my time. The dental office is still in business. My great painless dentist, Dr. Shipko, retired in the late 70's.

Papa's Coney Island used to be Tastee's which used to be the Tastee Freeze. When they added seating to the Tastee Freeze, they did not tear down the old building like they would today, but instead built a dining area and bathrooms around it. From what I could see last year when I was there, the furniture looks the same, only older. Too bad they thought it necessary to put in the bullet proof glass. The food was good, though, and the view of my old haunt from the windowed walls was spectacular!

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    Kool pic. I remember the soap
    I remember using a screwdriver to pry open a bigger hole in that bank one day. I wish I still had that, and those two Colonial Savings Bank banks that opened up with a key. Still have the keys...and the screwdriver.
    Last edited by 7andkelly; May-25-09 at 09:50 PM.

That shop just to the left of the dentist's office used to be Amato Pied Piper Music, where I took my first guitar lessons.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave70 View Post
    That shop just to the left of the dentist's office used to be Amato Pied Piper Music, where I took my first guitar lessons.
    I took piano lessons there briefly, and spent a butt load of money on music that I never did learn to play. Was Famous Pizza in that same shop, or next to it toward Rosewood Bar?

Wow! Thanks for the new pictures, 7andKelly!

Yes, Milt's was Aldo's. I remember Aldo's. I ate there with my family maybe once or twice...but it was not someplace I liked to go because I remember long lines and long waits for the food. Then as well as now, I never did appreciate the point of spending 2 hours waiting around for something that could be finished in 10 minutes.

I also remember Amato's music well, and, in fact, I also rented - and then applied the rental towards purchase of - a guitar from there. However, I took my lessons elsewhere, because the owner of Amato's was a heavy smoker and there was no way I was going to spend one second more in that store than I absolutely had to to get my supplies and run out gasping for breath.

It took me a minute to recognize the pictures with the AutoZone in them. I hadn't read to the end of your message - and I kept thinking those pictures must have been additional shots from southbound Kelly before realizing they were westbound 7 mile taken from Kelly. When I was last there, AutoZone wasn't there; it was still Calcaterra's. I did finally recognize the angle when I saw the snippet of St. Jude's way in the background at the right of the fourth picture.

My, my, what does it tell us when things are so bad that even an UNDERTAKER goes out of business? I never would have believed.

Also thanks for the Sweetheart Bakery / Little Ceasars shot. For all the pictures I did take of Kelly, I didn't have that angle. I [[think) I remember when they BUILT that Little Caesars - I think it was in the very early 80's, if not actually 1980 indeed! I can't remember what was there before then - probably a gas station....?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave70 View Post

As we discussed beofre on the old thread, Amato's was originally called the Treble Clef when it first opened in the mid 60's

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
    Wow! Thanks for the new pictures, 7andKelly!

Yes, Milt's was Aldo's. I remember Aldo's. I ate there with my family maybe once or twice...but it was not someplace I liked to go because I remember long lines and long waits for the food. Then as well as now, I never did appreciate the point of spending 2 hours waiting around for something that could be finished in 10 minutes.

I also remember Amato's music well, and, in fact, I also rented - and then applied the rental towards purchase of - a guitar from there. However, I took my lessons elsewhere, because the owner of Amato's was a heavy smoker and there was no way I was going to spend one second more in that store than I absolutely had to to get my supplies and run out gasping for breath.

It took me a minute to recognize the pictures with the AutoZone in them. I hadn't read to the end of your message - and I kept thinking those pictures must have been additional shots from southbound Kelly before realizing they were westbound 7 mile taken from Kelly. When I was last there, AutoZone wasn't there; it was still Calcaterra's. I did finally recognize the angle when I saw the snippet of St. Jude's way in the background at the right of the fourth picture.

My, my, what does it tell us when things are so bad that even an UNDERTAKER goes out of business? I never would have believed.
    I need clarification on something. Are we saying that Milt's is the corner business, I can't see it clearly from that pic. If not than my point is mute. If we are saying that, my recal of the corner business was that it was a dry cleaners, which I've had problems remebering the name other for some reason I think it was called Sanders which always confused me because I never knew if it was tied in with the confectioner

I need clarification on something. Are we saying that Milt's is the corner business, I can't see it clearly from that pic. If not than my point is mute. If we are saying that, my recal of the corner business was that it was a dry cleaners, which I've had problems remebering the name other for some reason I think it was called Sanders which always confused me because I never knew if it was tied in with the confectioner
    It think it may be both. Milt's address is 19143, and it butts up against Dunn's Inn.

I remember Little Ceasars from the early 70's - i wish they could learn somehow to make their pizza taste like that again.

The corner business was Sander's Dry Cleaner, and where the boards are in the pic were windows where you could watch the clothes move around the conveyer. God, I had a boring life.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    God, I had a boring life.

But it's better now right?

Quote Originally Posted by edgewood View Post
    I remember Little Ceasars from the early 70's - i wish they could learn somehow to make their pizza taste like that again.

Welcome edgewood are you a St. Jude grad or just from the area and what timeframe?

No - I know St Jude well though, east side.

I lived near Gunston west of Gratiot for a time when I was a child - does not look the same these days

Quote Originally Posted by edgewood View Post
    No - I know St Jude well though, east side.

I lived near Gunston west of Gratiot for a time when I was a child - does not look the same these days

Nothing does, but Welcome!

But it's better now right?
    Hah!......

Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post
    This used to be Sinclair Gas Station on Kelly Rd. just inside Harper Woods back in the 60s. I remember them giving out a dinosaur bank and dinosaur bath soap.
    And a fine establishment the current proprietor has as well! This is my brother's business. He's been there quite a while, close to 20 years now I'm guessing.

I have fond memories of the Sinclair station as well. Does anyone remember the carnivals they used to have in the Eastland parking lot? Sinclair had an exhibit about dinosaurs as I remember. They had a coin operated machine that made you your very own plastic dinosaur there on the spot. Some kind of plastic injection molding machine. I remember the dinosaur was still hot when it came out. I love the smell of hot plastic in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsomyak View Post
    And a fine establishment the current proprietor has as well! This is my brother's business. He's been there quite a while, close to 20 years now I'm guessing.

I have fond memories of the Sinclair station as well. Does anyone remember the carnivals they used to have in the Eastland parking lot? Sinclair had an exhibit about dinosaurs as I remember. They had a coin operated machine that made you your very own plastic dinosaur there on the spot. Some kind of plastic injection molding machine. I remember the dinosaur was still hot when it came out. I love the smell of hot plastic in the morning.
    Was that smell like the Creepy People smell? I used to love that smell.

Oooohh that smell. Can't you smell that smell?

Does anyone know what the status of the Credit Union building is? Also, I know when they turned into the Northeast Catholic Credit Union they had a branch on Crocker in Harrison Twp. Is that branch still there or did the credit union combined into another and know is no longer associated with St. Jude?

There are still Sinclair's out west. These are a couple pics from Wyoming a couple years ago
    Attachment 1427
    Attachment 1426

There are still Sinclair's out west. These are a couple pics from Wyoming a couple years ago
    Attachment 1427
    Attachment 1426

Kool pics JC. We have a Sinclair in Ames, I'll have to check it out if they have anything other than the sign.

Obviously my daughter there.

Obviously my daughter there.

Obviously!

Does anyone know if the Sinclair dinosaur had a name?

Dino......

[quote=Tsomyak;24243]And a fine establishment the current proprietor has as well! This is my brother's business.[quote]

I did not know that. Ask him to check the storerooms for some of those neat giveaway items.

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 ... LastLast