Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

until we all can say, ......"before you know it, our money's all been spent!"

It looks like the Bono connection is far from exhausted, however, let's return to Eastwood Avenue for a moment. What was the name of the restaurant just west of the Parakeet lounge on 7Mi.? I recall that place opening in the 60s and had a parking lot adjacent to it in which many customers to Revco parked there.

Revco and Supreme Drugs both sold bottles of Dr. Good

Was it Ham's Restaurant? I think I was in there once for breakfast.
    As Mel Gibson is finding out, "They say our love won't pay the rent".

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    It looks like the Bono connection is far from exhausted, however, let's return to Eastwood Avenue for a moment. What was the name of the restaurant just west of the Parakeet lounge on 7Mi.? I recall that place opening in the 60s and had a parking lot adjacent to it in which many customers to Revco parked there.

Revco and Supreme Drugs both sold bottles of Dr. Good
    The restaurant was Onasis Coney Island from the 70's on. 7 Mile/ Hayes Lunch was on the same side of Hayes as Supreme's, only across Fordham. It was next door to Casual Cuts Barber Shop, Ray's Shoe Repair, and Little Bill's Saloon.

knew the owners of coney island. he would bring us free "loose burgers" all the time. he then owned [[or operated) the parakeet.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Fury, my mom worked there in the 70's and early 80's. I never knew they had a soda fountain, where was it located? Did Nate own it back then? My mom worked there until he retired and sold it to Chaldians, who changed the name to Supreme Drug and Liquor Shop. She worked for a time for the pharmicist who rented the space from them.
    My mom says she worked for Supreme Drugs two or three summers during her high school years. It was owned by two brothers, Nate and Max, who she describes as really nice people and easy to work for. Evidently it was a fun job; the owners let her and a co-worker conjure up all kinds of original concoctions behind the soda fountain.

The soda fountain counter was along the right-hand side wall and was fairly long; it had about eight or ten stools according to my mom.

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    My mom says she worked for Supreme Drugs two or three summers during her high school years. It was owned by two brothers, Nate and Max, who she describes as really nice people and easy to work for. Evidently it was a fun job; the owners let her and a co-worker conjure up all kinds of original concoctions behind the soda fountain.

The soda fountain counter was along the right-hand side wall and was fairly long; it had about eight or ten stools according to my mom.
    Fury13: I lived on Morang and Eastwood in the 50s thru 70s and didn't know about the soda fountain at Supreme Drugs. Shows how provincial we can be at times. I do remember my mom saying that Supreme Drugs would send a welcoming basket to new residents in the neighborhood. My folks moved on Morang in 1952.

The restaurant was Onasis Coney Island from the 70's on. 7 Mile/ Hayes Lunch was on the same side of Hayes as Supreme's, only across Fordham. It was next door to Casual Cuts Barber Shop, Ray's Shoe Repair, and Little Bill's Saloon.
    D72: Onasis Coney Island...Thanks for the memory jog. Were Casual Cuts Barber Shop, Ray's Shoe Repair, and Little Bill's Saloon actually on the east side of Hayes north of Fordham? I vaguely remember the shoe repair but for the life of me the other business are a blank. Were they there before, after, or during the 70s?

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    D72: Onasis Coney Island...Thanks for the memory jog. Were Casual Cuts Barber Shop, Ray's Shoe Repair, and Little Bill's Saloon actually on the east side of Hayes north of Fordham? I vaguely remember the shoe repair but for the life of me the other business are a blank. Were they there before, after, or during the 70s?
    Yes, they were on the east side of Hayes. The buildings still stand, although I don't think any of them are still the same businesses anymore. 7 Mile/ Hayes Lunch was called Rocky's Ham King for awhile, but I think that has now closed as well. Frank's Nursery was right around the corner, which has been since torn down for a stripmall.

Last I heard, Al's Car Wash on Morang and Whitehill was still operating, and has been there at least 60 years, probably a lot longer. It was there before I was born in 1949.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpyoldlady View Post
    Last I heard, Al's Car Wash on Morang and Whitehill was still operating, and has been there at least 60 years, probably a lot longer. It was there before I was born in 1949.
    Its still there.

Any more stories? Any more Sonny & Cher lines? Any one still interested in this thread?

Any one still interested in this thread?

Oh, yes! Just in a bit of busy.

Ahh, the good old days on Eastwood ... a hop, skip and a jump [[sometimes literally) from George's Party Time where you could get a pack of Topps for a dime ... Mr. Freezes [[frozen coolaid in a skinny plastic pouch) and some Bazooka Joe's, of course ... sent bunches of those comics in for prizes including a ball and strike indicator, 127 film camera, pocket knife, pen ... fun stuff.

The walks thru the alleyways ... stopping to pick fruit and vegetables along the way, and rocks to throw at telephone poles and even sign posts ... no hurry ... no worry ... those were the days my friend.
    Last edited by 7andkelly; April-29-09 at 10:22 PM.

Who remembers Electro Shack, Hayes at 7 mile, behind Revco and across from Echo Bar?

Quote Originally Posted by Rumblefish View Post
    Who remembers Electro Shack, Hayes at 7 mile, behind Revco and across from Echo Bar?
    I got a crystal radio from there when I was a wee little lad. Never did get much in the way of station reception, however. I guess thats why I never became an engineer!

Yeah, I remember Electro Shack ... cool store ... went to Olson's more often though.

16. Default

The Echo bar was serving me when I was 15, legal age was 18. I thought that was cool.

17. Default

And then when I did turn 18 I had the great idea to have just "one drink" from every bar on Morang.
    Started at Terrace Lounge, then on to Dex Walter's and on and on. I made it to I-94 and was cryptic by then. Me and my old chum Dave Fielitz made that epic journey.

And then when I did turn 18 I had the great idea to have just "one drink" from every bar on Morang.
    Started at Terrace Lounge, then on to Dex Walter's and on and on. I made it to I-94 and was cryptic by then. Me and my old chum Dave Fielitz made that epic journey.
    The Paper Station was my old haunt ... walked over there half the time. They had great ground rounds, and those giant pitchers of Miller's for $3.00. Jay and John were there, and they and their barmaids always knew your name.

The bar's called Dunn Inn now, and I was told by the lady behind the bar last year the building was still owned by Jay. The countertops and tables are the same only older ... walking in there was somewhat like opening up a time capsule. For all I know, some of the regulars sitting at the bar are the same ones from 30 years ago ... might explain the name change, unfortunately.

His last name was Fielitz? Really??? Dang, all those years I thought it was Felix, like the cat.

Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post

The bar's called Dunn Inn now,

might explain the name change, unfortunately.

Good one 7!!! CMAO!!

Thanks, Z. Speaking of being done in, a few months ago my wife and I went to the place that used to be called Tastees across the street from Dunn Inn just north of the corner of 7 and Kelly, a.k.a. Moross and Kelly for you purists, KR. That place is another time capsule, except you can hear it screaming to be renovated. The only money invested in that poor depleted cash cow in the past 30 years was the bullet proof glass protecting the grill area and ordering counter. We sure felt secure eating our meals in our booth knowing it was possible one of the workers in the safe zone might call for help if we needed it.

Good burgers, but the fries were a little too salty, IMO.

22. Default

Lets not forget The Pointe Athletic Club, as if it had anything to do with the Pointes or athleticism...
    well there was weight lifting involved, 12 ounces at a time.

Tsom: yep it was Fielitz

Thanks Rumblefish and Detroit72 for naming the "Electro Shack" behind Revco. Couldn't remember the name of that place for the life of me. Yes, that was the place to get one's crystal set equipement.

Welcome back, KR. I was just thinking this thread on the new forum could sure use some of your quality photos.

Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post
    Thanks, Z. Speaking of being done in, a few months ago my wife and I went to the place that used to be called Tastees across the street from Dunn Inn just north of the corner of 7 and Kelly, a.k.a. Moross and Kelly for you purists, KR. That place is another time capsule, except you can hear it screaming to be renovated. The only money invested in that poor depleted cash cow in the past 30 years was the bullet proof glass protecting the grill area and ordering counter. We sure felt secure eating our meals in our booth knowing it was possible one of the workers in the safe zone might call for help if we needed it.

Good burgers, but the fries were a little too salty, IMO.
    I used to play video games there when I was too young to drive. My friends and I also like the fact we could feast on burgers for the chump change in our pockets.

I also have many fond memories of birthday parties at Little Ceasers, back when they were a full service pizzaria, complete with pinball machines.
    Last edited by Detroitej72; May-04-09 at 10:22 PM.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast