Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 13 14 15 16 17 18

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    OK, if Dr. Aotekar's office was Morang and Balfour, the barber shop was a couple of blocks more east [[trying to remember back to 1950 here with a 70 yr old mind).
    That would have put the barber shop somewhere near the intersection of Morang and Cadieux.

While I was growing up in the 60's, Baskin-Robbins ice cream was on the southwest corner of McKinney and Morang. There was a bike shop located on Morang between McKinney and Cadieux.

There is now an apartment complex at the corner of Morang and Cadieux [[unless it's been vandalized or burned down since I left the area years ago). I remember when that building was under construction in the early 60's - I was barely out of toddlerhood then.

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
    That would have put the barber shop somewhere near the intersection of Morang and Cadieux.

While I was growing up in the 60's, Baskin-Robbins ice cream was on the southwest corner of McKinney and Morang. There was a bike shop located on Morang between McKinney and Cadieux.

There is now an apartment complex at the corner of Morang and Cadieux [[unless it's been vandalized or burned down since I left the area years ago). I remember when that building was under construction in the early 60's - I was barely out of toddlerhood then.
    In the forties and fifties, the commercial buildings were few and far between on Whittier and Morang. Most of the lots along Whittier and Morang were vacant. There were no apartment buildings in the area.
    l

Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post
    I could easily fill up a pillowcase covering Fordham, Eastwood and Saratoga within "the triangle" betwixt Morang and Kelly. Don't remember going out for seconds after that haul. With two other siblings in the house, the focus was on security after that.
    My brother usually went with me. Our problem when we made our second go of the night was that if my mother ran out, she would use our stuff to give to the latecomers.

I hear Bing is talking about bringing the Pistons back to the city. Great!

I hear Bing is talking about bringing the Pistons back to the city. Great!
    I hope they plan on getting a better cast of characters by then, this group sucks

From the Eastwood Curmudgeon:
    The best venues to view a sport:
    The Pistons at Cobo, The Wings at Olympia[[ no knock to JLA), The Tigs at Tiger Stadium, The Lions at U of D Stadium. Titans at Callahan Hall. Most of these are history.......Leave well enough alone.

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    I hope they plan on getting a better cast of characters by then, this group sucks
    Including a new owner possibly.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    From the Eastwood Curmudgeon:
    The best venues to view a sport:
    The Pistons at Cobo, The Wings at Olympia[[ no knock to JLA), The Tigs at Tiger Stadium, The Lions at U of D Stadium. Titans at Callahan Hall. Most of these are history.......Leave well enough alone.
    Couldn't care less about the Silverdump. Love COPA. Will miss JLA.
    Last edited by 7andkelly; March-12-10 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    OK, if Dr. Aotekar's office was Morang and Balfour, the barber shop was a couple of blocks more east [[trying to remember back to 1950 here with a 70 yr old mind).
    Tony's Barbershop, between McKinney & Cadieux?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Tony's Barbershop, between McKinney & Cadieux?
    It could have been. It was on Morang [[and on the northeast corner as I recall).

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
    That sounds about right - I imagine the old "zones" all just had 482 slapped onto the beginnings of them, because I know for sure my old zip code, 48224, includes everything east of Kelly [[possibly east of Hayes but that I'm not sure of) and west of Mack and north of - well I don't know, Whittier/Outer drive or possibly even south of that. Then yes 48225 is Harper Woods, and 48205 is west of Hayes [[or Kelly). I'm sure 7 and Kelly could confirm the correct boundary line between 48224 and 48205 for us.
    1967:

1961:

1946:

When I saw Eastwood Memories I thought it was about Eastwood Park at Gratiot and 8-Mile. Is everyone else but me gone?

There have been discussions about Eastwood Park on several threads here. I believe there's a search function on this board you could use to check them out.

I lived just a few blocks south of the park & remember it well.

In light of the old amusement park's location, it would have been so appropriate to rename East Detroit as Eastwood, instead of the hokey Eastpointe.

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    In light of the old amusement park's location, it would have been so appropriate to rename East Detroit as Eastwood, instead of the hokey Eastpointe.
    ...and that would also have slid off the tongue much more easily too. I believe at the time there was a contest for proposed new names, and I submitted "Semrau Park" - after the names of a couple of streets which actually do intersect at a point west of Gratiot.

I think the original guy [[was his name Nawrowski or Laskowsky or something?) who was pushing for the name change had originally pushed without success for the name to be Erin Heights. That would also have been a better name than Eastpointe and also would have been appropriate considering the school team being the Shamrocks and the shamrocks on the street signs!!!!

Did I not trigger any fond thoughts of the huge swimming pool[[whites only) and the fabulous dance pavillion with all the big swing bands of the early 40's? How about the midget race car track up 8 Mile? Remember Jefferson Beach Amusement Park?
    And then diagonally across Wood Motors which is also now gone.

Quote Originally Posted by BillRush View Post
    Did I not trigger any fond thoughts of the huge swimming pool[[whites only) and the fabulous dance pavillion with all the big swing bands of the early 40's? How about the midget race car track up 8 Mile? Remember Jefferson Beach Amusement Park?
    I'd suggest you start threads on Eastwood Park and Motor City Speedway [[old model stocks & demo derbies as well as midgets). Don't think there have been threads on either.

Pre-zip: SW of 7andkelly: Detroit 5, Mich.

Pre-zip: SW of 7andkelly: Detroit 5, Mich.
    NW of Kelly, too

Quote Originally Posted by BillRush View Post
    My uncle was "underemployed" and lived with us for a year. He loved the midget races and used to take my brother and I to Motor City Speedway about twice a month. Fifty cents for admission and a quarter for a program.

Carl Forberg was a popular contestant. He had a bar on Gratiot and the bar sign incorporated his red and white number 7 car

Later the speedway shifted to hot rod roadsters then to the old model stock cars. My uncle quit going then. He only liked the Offenhauser midgets. After the old model stock cars took over the place, they started broadcasting the Monday night races on WXYZ TV7. Fred Wolf, a popular disc jockey was the announcer. I think the speedway gave WXYZ the broadcast rights in exchange for plugs for the Fri and Sat night racing cards.

The man who lived accross the street from us was Harold Parker. He owned Parker's Garage [[somewhere on Harper as I recall) and a rental banquet facility called Embassy Hall. Mr. Parker had a hot rod roadster and later an old model stock car with "Parker's Garage" and "Embassy Hall" painted on the sides. Jack Konley [[Conley?) was his driver for quite a while. Later, I think Iggy Katona drove for him.

Lots of the Indy car and race boat drivers got their start on the midgets at Motor City Speedway [[Guys Biro, Iggy Katona, Duane Carter, Ralph Pratt).

Does anyone remember what were the businesses on the corners of Eastwood and Gratiot during the 1960s?

Across the street Valentes was there back in 68 when the tigers won....still is...was open then.

It was my old Free Press route...I should remember there was a bar...

The Triangle area between 7 Mile Rd, Kelly Rd and Morang had been holding its own...until recently. Sad to see the house on the NE corner of Eastwood/Rex burnt down. Walked past there daily for 8 years going to St. Jude's and back.

Shollin Guest

My parents used to live on Saratoga between Hayes and Morang. There used to be a custard store on 7 Mile about a block or so from Morang I used to go to all the time. I remember when 7 and Hayes used to be a busy retail area. After Franks nursery left, it seemed to decline quickly.

3 year old found wandering alone at Moross and Laing tonight. Jeez.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 13 14 15 16 17 18