Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Default Eastwood Memories

Eastwood Avenue - what a great place to grow up back in the the 60's ... alleys, vegetable gardens and fruit trees galore!

Ya, I remember my grandparents' house on Fordham between Chalmers and Gratiot. The big pear tree, the alleys, the cool old house.
    Used to love to walk with my grandpa to Gratiot. Also remember when "Flagg Bros." shoes burned down. Loved the neighborhood.

Actually lived on Eastwood close to Kelly. The tunnel of elm trees, alleys, brick bungalow and colonial homes. The Flagg brother store had a hugh selection of shoes and boots. Anyone remember the Free Press and News sold on the corner of 7&G on Sunday night. They would come to your car when making a right hand turn from north bound Grationt on to east bound 7 Mi.

Olson Electronics ... remember that place? ... I still have a battery tester and a set of walkie talkies with their name stamp. It was better to test tubes there than Revco or Merit's because if you had a bad one, you could replace it right away. I sure helped keep our old Admiral tv set going ... what was I thinking?!!! ... if I'd have just let the thing go, we would have gotten a color set before I graduated high school! Oh, well. Now I have all these stories to tell from when I grew up in black and white.

Speaking of Flagg Bros., is anyone here old enough to remember Flagg Flyers from the late 50s? They were an oxford type shoe that open & closed by means of a slider apparatus on the tongue. I had a few pair in white buck.[[suede).

Way too cool EB, Way too cool

Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post
    Olson Electronics ... remember that place? ... I still have a battery tester and a set of walkie talkies with their name stamp. It was better to test tubes there than Revco or Merit's because if you had a bad one, you could replace it right away. I sure helped keep our old Admiral tv set going ... what was I thinking?!!! ... if I'd have just let the thing go, we would have gotten a color set before I graduated high school! Oh, well. Now I have all these stories to tell from when I grew up in black and white.
    7K: I remember very well Olson Electronics [[Forham on the west side of Gratiot). Our family purchased our first FM stereo receiver with speakers from there. It was a far cry from the quality of Pecar Electronics. At that time however, just getting FM sterero was a real treat. The system was only 10 watts per channel but it affored a young teenager at that time the ability to listen to the new "underground" stations such as WABX FM and WXYZ [[later WRIF) FM. in stereo. Olsons had enough stuff to keep gadget folks or music buffs in the store for hours. I think my dad paid $48 for the system. We hooked up our "record player" and were able to hear all those 78, 45 and 33 RPM records. Only the 33 rpm records [[mostly bought at Korvette on 12 and Gratiot) could be heard in stereo. Great memory 7K

$48? Sounds like a deal.

I think I sunk most of a grand at Stereo City up the street one day buying my 50 W/C Pioneer AM/FM stereo amplifier and monster speakers, Sony turntable with Audio Technica cartridge, and Sanyo 8-track player / recorder. I soon discovered I should have consulted my Dad about this before I spent all that money. It was a great sound system in it's day ... my decision making at the time - not so good.

To all who lived near the Eastwood and Hayes: As long as I can recall there has been a car wash on the south east corner of Eastwood and Hayes. Last time I checked [[last year) the car wash was still in business. I don't recall another car wash in existence any longer.
    Does anyone know when that car wash opened?
    Do you know of another car wash that has been in business longer?

I used to love that car wash! I am not surprised it's still in business. Cars used to line up past Saratoga all the way to Faircrest to get into there.

I pretty much like all car washes, except the ones that scratch your car with out of date or uncalibrated equipment, or the ones where they rush the car in back of you so that it bumps your car while someone at the front end is waiting to make that turn out onto the main road.

Sure is nice to see the street just as clean and safe as when I left it.

I think the car wash was called Quickie Car Wash, we used to go there because it cost only $1.

My mom worked for years at Supreme Drugs, on the corner of Fordham and Hayes. We would go across the street to eat lunch every Saturday at 7 Mile/ Hayes Lunch, which we always called Vi and Gabe's, after the owner's names. The neighbors would all gather there, and chat about what was going on in the area. It was a great place to live in the 70's through the late 80's.

Anyone ever go to Bono's Party Store? I used to love their pizza and subs, and if I recall, they were related to Sonny Bono, cousins or something. The father always had a story about him when someone asked.

I think that's it!
    Last edited by 7andkelly; April-20-09 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    I think the car wash was called Quickie Car Wash, we used to go there because it cost only $1.

My mom worked for years at Supreme Drugs, on the corner of Fordham and Hayes. We would go across the street to eat lunch every Saturday at 7 Mile/ Hayes Lunch, which we always called Vi and Gabe's, after the owner's names. The neighbors would all gather there, and chat about what was going on in the area. It was a great place to live in the 70's through the late 80's.

Anyone ever go to Bono's Party Store? I used to love their pizza and subs, and if I recall, they were related to Sonny Bono, cousins or something. The father always had a story about him when someone asked.
    Wasn't Sonny Bono from the area around De La Salle?

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Wasn't Sonny Bono from the area around De La Salle?
    I think so, I read [[or heard) that he used to watch the planes from City Airport as a youth, so you could be correct.

My mother's family lived in two different houses on Eastwood -- one was between Gratiot and Hayes, and the other is east of Hayes. All told, my grandparents resided on that street between 1939 and 1961.

My mom worked for years at Supreme Drugs, on the corner of Fordham and Hayes.
    My mother also worked at Supreme Drugs, behind the soda fountain. This would have been late '40s, early '50s.

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    My mother also worked at Supreme Drugs, behind the soda fountain. This would have been late '40s, early '50s.
    Fury, my mom worked there in the 70's and early 80's. I never knew they had a soda fountain, where was it located? Did Nate own it back then? My mom worked there until he retired and sold it to Chaldians, who changed the name to Supreme Drug and Liquor Shop. She worked for a time for the pharmicist who rented the space from them.

I went in there recently and discovered that the pharmacy is no longer there and now its just another hood style liquor store.

Another memory, as a youngster, I used to enjoy watching the guppies in his fish aquarium while standing around waiting for my scrips to be filled.
    Last edited by Detroitej72; April-21-09 at 07:45 PM.

I think so, I read [[or heard) that he used to watch the planes from City Airport as a youth, so you could be correct.
    I seem to remember reading that at one point he live near Harper, between Chalmers and Connor [[Evanston maybe?). The area stuck with me because my dad used to work in the area.

D72: I believe Supreme Drugs was there even before Regall or Revco on 7/Hayes
    I too don't remember a soda fountain but my recollection of Supreme Drugs was later in the 60s and 70s.
    Bono's did have great subs and pizza and till this day I haven't had a better cannoli than theirs....Don't know about the Sonny Bono connection.

Was the 7mi/Hayes Lunch just west of Parakeet Lounge on the south side of 7? Was it a coney island typed of diner at one time?

I think I had heard Sonny Bono's father played Major League baseball, his nickname was Pro-Bono

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    I think I had heard Sonny Bono's father played Major League baseball, his nickname was Pro-Bono

and I heard something about his wife being very giving.....she would always SHARE.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    and I heard something about his wife being very giving.....she would always SHARE.

Apparently she never wore her CHASTITY belt

you know what they say about Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves...............

Just how long will this beat go on?

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast