Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Who should be Detroit's mayor?

I'm starting to hear a lot of grumbling lately about Mayor Dave Bing's performance [[he's out of touch, doesn't care about the people, he's a corporate tool, too many Kilpatrick administration people on his staff, etc.). In fact, I understand that there is a recall campaign in progress to remove Mayor Bing from office, though I have no idea how well organized or funded it is.

Assuming that the mayor is actually recalled, that would make Charles Pugh the mayor, and there are many in Detroit who have soured on him as well, saying that he's pompous and power-hungry.

So, Detroiters, who do you really want to see as mayor? No Geoffery Feigers or Roger Penskes; I'm talking about people who actually live in the city who Detroiters think could actually do a better job that Bing or Pugh, given the dire circumstances the city is facing.

Is Charles Costa still alive?

There isn't anyone. The leadership that we need on the local and national level is pushing daisies and has been for many decades.

A friend posted a quote from Winston Churchill on FB recently. This led to a conversation about the kind of leaders that used to exist, and whether today's lifestyles and fast pace promote the development of character that is required to produce men and women like the giants of the past. Very interesting, not to mention sad.

The Reverend David Murray?

I'd like to see someone no-nonsense who primarily likes to get things done. Almost certainly not a professional politician. I'd love to throw a comparison to Rudy Giuliani out there, but is there anyone out there who fits that bill? Giuliani had successfully gone after the mob prior to running for mayor on platform of supporting the police and cracking down on crime.

Does Detroit have a Michael Bloomberg? Pardon my NY-centrism here, but Bloomsberg is not part of the political class.
    Last edited by fryar; August-22-10 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fryar View Post
    Does Detroit have a Michael Bloomberg? Pardon my NY-centrism here, but Bloomsberg is not part of the political class.

Yes.

Dave Bing.

Bing seems like the right man for the Job, he just needs to connect with the people more.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Yes.

Dave Bing.
    Oh yeah. Duh. Removing head from rear now. <Plop> Thanks, I needed that.

Now who's this Dave Bing fellow...?

The proof is in the pudding, so let's see what he does.

So far, no:

Bing's Wife Navigator Scandal
    Dave Time, where Bing rolls around the city at night and meets his mistresses
    Big Diamond Dave, where Bing wears a diamond earring and then ditches it to get re-elected
    Hip Hop Mayor Dave, where he has crazy parties with Eminem at the fireworks... or some other party I forgot about
    Bankroll Dave, where he forms a PAC and invites people to keep their appointee jobs by donating
    Pager Dave
    $8Million Fiasco Dave

Wow, he's pretty boring.

Quote Originally Posted by ct4life View Post

So, Detroiters, who do you really want to see as mayor? No Geoffery Feigers or Roger Penskes; I'm talking about people who actually live in the city who Detroiters think could actually do a better job that Bing or Pugh, given the dire circumstances the city is facing.
    Here's an idea. Let's replace Bing with Tom Barrow since he has always wanted the job....SIKE

Mayor Bing is not a politician, he is a businessman trying to run the city like a business but he is discovering that a municipality is not a business. He is discovering that politics is a game that requires the players to learn the game on the fly and to able to adapt to the changes in the game. If Bing is able to adapt his game then I believe he will be alright. If not, Detroit goes down in flames

The residents of Michigan will need to prepare for Governor Bing...err Snyder. Snyder will be in the same boat as Bing trying to run a state as a first-time elected official. Like Bing, he will have to deal with the massive debt left behind by his predecessor and just like Bing he will have to convince the people he is the right man for the job....after he is elected.

Sheesh give the guy a chance. He has been mayor barely a year and has had to spend a large amount of that time winning elections due to the mess created by his predecessor. He's working for a dollar and not running up the bill by living at the Manoogian. We are already better off than we were at the same time during Kwame time. I think that is connecting very well.

Problems that took years, even decades, to create cannot be fixed in minutes. Take a breath, let him do his job. He as well over three years and probably longer if he wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    Here's an idea. Let's replace Bing with Tom Barrow since he has always wanted the job....SIKE

SIKE?

R8RBOB, your showing your age, nobody after 1985 used that lame term!

Keep it real, Bro!!!
    Last edited by Detroitej72; August-23-10 at 12:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Sheesh give the guy a chance. He has been mayor barely a year and has had to spend a large amount of that time winning elections due to the mess created by his predecessor. He's working for a dollar and not running up the bill by living at the Manoogian. We are already better off than we were at the same time during Kwame time. I think that is connecting very well.

Problems that took years, even decades, to create cannot be fixed in minutes. Take a breath, let him do his job. He has well over three years and probably longer if he wishes.
    Got to agree.... and R8RBOB is spot on about Bing not being a politician. It's more important for him to take care of the vast amount of problems that Detroit has using his "CEO mode"... than to be learning the ins-and-outs of politics in "MAYORAL mode"...

I also believe that we should cut Charles Pugh some slack. Just remember Monica Conyers....

One thing that Pugh has done to win my respect is to confront all those blowhard Mega-church ministers who live in Bloomfield Hills and get their 10% tithing from their Detroit congregations to do so. These guys have NOTHING TO SAY about running the city... as do all non-residents.

Sike?

Maybe Psych?

Just sayin' .....

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Sike?

Maybe Psych?

Just sayin' .....
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sike

Just sayin'

Count Scary!

I hear Steve Wilson and Jerry Hodak are looking for work.

But then again, I hear there's gonna be a certain female Congressperson out of work soon too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post

Problems that took years, even decades, to create cannot be fixed in minutes. Take a breath, let him do his job. He as well over three years and probably longer if he wishes.
    You tell them, Mr. Boileau. Rome wasn't built in a day so shall be Detroit.

It wouldn't surprise me if CCK threw her hat-excuse me-bra, into the ring! She lost the congressional seat right? Just saying....she still has thousands of loyal supporters...

I am in no way endorsing Bing here, but I can assure you that Barrow and Fieger are not the answer. Bing has at least made progress with cleaning up that government. The problem is, he can't just fire everyone that worked under Kilpatrick, then nothing would get done. You have to have people who understand the system, to pass that understanding along, then when he goes to change it, he can remove them too... it is not an overnight task, but he is making progress... it is one step at a time.

Nobody ever has any patience with this government, or perhaps it is the ignorance of the voters. Bing was elected to fill Kilpatrick's shoes then just six months later he had to do the same again. Many people didn't want Bing re-elected saying they wanted "change." People were willing to vote for Tom Barrow, an accountant who couldn't even pay his own taxes. I am an accountant, and that is the biggest no-no there is for accountants. Six months is not long enough to do anything, yet people expected Bing to deliver overnight. It is not saying much, but Bing is the best Detroit has seen in a long time, at least since Archer, possibly longer. People say they want change, and now that things are changing, albeit slowly, now they aren't so sure, as if they are actually more comfortable with the status quo.

Bing is what the city needs now.
    He's all for no drama and appears to be dedicated to
    helping the city out instead of screwing the taxpayers.
    I'm surprised no one has thrown Sharon McFail's hat into the ring.
    You know, things could really get a lot worse with her around.
    Those other guys mentioned are minor league and all have baggage.

KING BING said that he would be the one term mayor. So Detroit might get some new faces into the political ring.

1. Jeffrey Fieger

2. Charles Pugh

3. Gary Brown

4. Kenneth Cockerel

5. Peter Karmonos

Like everyone else Detroiters expect things to be done overnight. The attention span of the knats [[people) truly astound me at times.

This city has been decimated for 40 years and yet everyone wants it done overnight. This is going to take time and a lot of effort; mostly effort that people do not want to do or see.

Many people, including Detroiters do not want to make the sacrifices needed in order to make positive results; they seem to expect this in some sort of vacuum. Well, sorry to burst your bubble but the fact is there needs to be a lot of sacrifice and a lot of changing the mindset that has permeated this region.

I believe Bing can do it. The problem is will he be ALLOWED to?

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Like everyone else Detroiters expect things to be done overnight. The attention span of the knats [[people) truly astound me at times.

This city has been decimated for 40 years and yet everyone wants it done overnight. This is going to take time and a lot of effort; mostly effort that people do not want to do or see.

Many people, including Detroiters do not want to make the sacrifices needed in order to make positive results; they seem to expect this in some sort of vacuum. Well, sorry to burst your bubble but the fact is there needs to be a lot of sacrifice and a lot of changing the mindset that has permeated this region.

I believe Bing can do it. The problem is will he be ALLOWED to?
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    There isn't anyone. The leadership that we need on the local and national level is pushing daisies and has been for many decades.

A friend posted a quote from Winston Churchill on FB recently. This led to a conversation about the kind of leaders that used to exist, and whether today's lifestyles and fast pace promote the development of character that is required to produce men and women like the giants of the past. Very interesting, not to mention sad.
    How shall we cultivate public virtue?

Re-Elect Pingree by #anne#, on Flickr

We need somebody with discipline like R.Lee Ermey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhlWddAXSRA

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast