Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Underground Railroad Monument Scrapped

yet another in the progressively more brazen act of fuckheadness, I present:

Not my pic.

Wonder if this will get action.

---
    Maybe Lowell should start a mega-scrappers thread so we can keep track of the myraid of monments that are being sodomized.

That is really horrible. :-[[

Hi gnome. I agree, completely infuriating.
    And noted in this thread from a few days ago, FYI.
    http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthread.php?t=6757

That orange barrel has been there for at least three weeks. Do we know for sure what happened? The plaque on the other side remains, at least as of three weeks ago.

Not too long ago [[6 weeks?) a wedding party was taking pictures there, using this monument as a backdrop. Suddenly a loud clanging noise drew everyone's attention to them - one of the groomsmen had been standing on the plaque when it gave out on him, sliding to the ground. They laughed and capered for a while, one remarking, "The one nice thing in Detroit and you ruined it!". They weren't able to reattach the plate.

My hope is that the plate/monument is merely in the long, detroit-style process of a safer redesign. If the plate was just scrapped outright, partial credit to these chiffon'd and cummerbun'd marauders.

It is still there as of yesterday evening... I went down and checked it out during the African World festival at Hart Plaza. There are two engraved graphics on either side of the remaining plaque. They will stay as they are part of the granite...
    Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    That orange barrel has been there for at least three weeks. Do we know for sure what happened? The plaque on the other side remains, at least as of three weeks ago.

Very interesting information. Hmmn, it was at an angle... what nut would stand on that? Indeed the monument/ sculpture is beautiful and many use it as a back drop for photos... but you shouldn't stand on a monument... duh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolfsy View Post
    Not too long ago [[6 weeks?) a wedding party was taking pictures there, using this monument as a backdrop. Suddenly a loud clanging noise drew everyone's attention to them - one of the groomsmen had been standing on the plaque when it gave out on him, sliding to the ground. They laughed and capered for a while, one remarking, "The one nice thing in Detroit and you ruined it!". They weren't able to reattach the plate.

My hope is that the plate/monument is merely in the long, detroit-style process of a safer redesign. If the plate was just scrapped outright, partial credit to these chiffon'd and cummerbun'd marauders.

How many scrapyards are there in town that buy metals? You wouldn't think it would be too hard to crack down on them.

Couldn't TV News sting them? Those shame-shame-shame-on-you types?

These scrappers need to be chief in the "HALL OF SHAME!" They know when a historical plaque, man hole or grave marker comes in it is STOLEN! Jerks ------ !
    Quote Originally Posted by fryar View Post
    Couldn't TV News sting them? Those shame-shame-shame-on-you types?

This is just sad. I mean in most cities you may have a vandalized monument or two but to outright tear apart works of art for a few bucks is pretty much unheard of where I come from. It is such a pity.

Default the real story [[maybe)

The mayors office insists the plaque is "being cleaned" Not sure I believe them, but I hope that is the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Very interesting information. Hmmn, it was at an angle... what nut would stand on that? Indeed the monument/ sculpture is beautiful and many use it as a back drop for photos... but you shouldn't stand on a monument... duh.
    I'm sure there are plenty of nuts out there. Standing on and causing damage to a monument is a felony. So many people out there who think doing a little trick for a couple laughs is harmless

......until they get cited or arrested. Think before being stupid.

Or maybe it is being recast in something cheaper...heh.

After reading the title, I thought they stole the whole thing, not just the plaque.

The plaque had numerous sharpie swastikas on it. It needed to be replaced or cleaned.

Quote Originally Posted by manualshift View Post
    The plaque had numerous sharpie swastikas on it. It needed to be replaced or cleaned.
    Any source?

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by manualshift View Post
    now that would have drawn media attention.