Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Transformers 3 is officially in Detroit!

I was in Chicago yesterday and they were filming T3 near our hotel. They had this grassy plot about 3 storefronts wide fenced off at the corner of Randolph and Franklin. On the sidewalk was a canopy with a table full of healthy snacks and water. Lots of big trucks on both sides of the street, and they had only two lanes open. When I walked my dog earlier, security was everywhere from the Franklin Street Bridge down past Randolph, and all over Randolph as we walked back to our hotel. I didn't know what was going on until we got back to the hotel. We didn't get to see any of the action, but I think they were just getting set up, no filming yet. It was all quiet when we pulled out around 3, still set up though.

I met 3 guys at the bar last night that claimed they were working on T3. They are staying at the RenCen and are going to be here for a couple months. We talked about some of the other filming going on in the city too. T3 was going to be all over the metro area it sounded like. the Dodge house, Packard Plant, MCS and some other places that I have forgotten about now.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bike4beer View Post
    I met 3 guys at the bar last night that claimed they were working on T3. They are staying at the RenCen and are going to be here for a couple months. We talked about some of the other filming going on in the city too. T3 was going to be all over the metro area it sounded like. the Dodge house, Packard Plant, MCS and some other places that I have forgotten about now.
    Jeepers, for how much beer did you bike?!?

DC48080 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bike4beer View Post
    T3 was going to be all over the metro area it sounded like. the Dodge house, Packard Plant, MCS and some other places that I have forgotten about now.
    The Dodge house? If you're talking about Rose Terrace, Anna Dodge's house, you might want to tell those movie folks that they're about 34 years too late. It was demolished in 1976.

The John Dodge house was torn down in 1941 and the Horace Dodge Jr. house was torn down in 1985.

There is a Dodge mansion in Indian Village. It was up for sale a few yrs ago for around 1 million.

DC48080 Guest

Thanks Supersport, I forgot about that one. It was the home of one of John Dodge's daughters briefly in the mid 1910s. He gave it to her as a wedding gift.

I believe he was talking about the one at Oakland University. I guess it is really not known as the Dodge house but that is the one they are going to be at.

DC48080 Guest

Yes, Meadowbrook Hall. That home was built by John Dodge's widow Matilda after she marriedAlfred Wilson.

Quote Originally Posted by DC48080 View Post
    The Dodge house? If you're talking about Rose Terrace, Anna Dodge's house, you might want to tell those movie folks that they're about 34 years too late. It was demolished in 1976.

The John Dodge house was torn down in 1941 and the Horace Dodge Jr. house was torn down in 1985.
    Rose Terrace thread.

The only physical remains of Rose Terrace.

Nice link! Wikimapia.\

Quite unbelievable what has been lost to developers egoism! All houses in red italic have been torn down....
    See here. [[pdf)
    Last edited by Whitehouse; August-22-10 at 05:18 PM.

DC48080 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    Quite unbelievable what has been lost to developers egoism!
    I hated to see those beautiful old houses go too. But it had nothing to do with egoism.

After the owners of those homes died their heirs had no use for such large mansions. Also, those homes required large and expensive staffs of servants to operate and maintain them. Rose Terrace, for example, cost a minimum of $12,000 a month just to keep the place open in 1970. Changing lifestyles made those places obsolete. Rose terrace was on the market for several years after Mrs Dodge died and nobody was interested in purchasing it. As a matter of fact, most of the large mansions built in the early 1900s never had more than one owner. They were sold off and subdivided after the original owners died.

So ego had nothing to do with the demolition of those large homes. The decisions to tear them down were purely economic.

Friday night there were lights on inside the train station. I drove by up close, it was a beautiful sight. Has it been that way for a while or does it maybe have something to do with Transformer 3?

Quote Originally Posted by DC48080 View Post
    I hated to see those beautiful old houses go too. But it had nothing to do with egoism.

After the owners of those homes died their heirs had no use for such large mansions. Also, those homes required large and expensive staffs of servants to operate and maintain them. Rose Terrace, for example, cost a minimum of $12,000 a month just to keep the place open in 1970. Changing lifestyles made those places obsolete. Rose terrace was on the market for several years after Mrs Dodge died and nobody was interested in purchasing it. As a matter of fact, most of the large mansions built in the early 1900s never had more than one owner. They were sold off and subdivided after the original owners died.

So ego had nothing to do with the demolition of those large homes. The decisions to tear them down were purely economic.
    exactly. however, it would have been nice if the various GPs would have had more stringent zoning about what could replace them.

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
    Friday night there were lights on inside the train station. I drove by up close, it was a beautiful sight. Has it been that way for a while or does it maybe have something to do with Transformer 3?
    Wouldn't doubt it was prep for T3

I live in Chicago and I took photos when they filmed here. Here are some shots:

http://s177.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=9b88d387.pbw

Was up at the Packard and a couple of security guards in a beat-up old red SUV pounced on us, informing us that we were on "government property" [[bwaaaaaaaaaahahahahaha) and trespassing. Then he said that this whole area was off-limits and that "work would start soon, in a couple of weeks." Of course, I laughed at him and drove off, but I wonder whether he was referring to a "Transformers 3" film shoot?

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    Was up at the Packard and a couple of security guards in a beat-up old red SUV pounced on us, informing us that we were on "government property" [[bwaaaaaaaaaahahahahaha) and trespassing. Then he said that this whole area was off-limits and that "work would start soon, in a couple of weeks." Of course, I laughed at him and drove off, but I wonder whether he was referring to a "Transformers 3" film shoot?
    Shoulda thrown a copy of your book at him and told him to brush up on his facts!

I wouldn't doubt it. Gotta keep all the areas safe for the next couple of weeks don't want Shia Lebouf getting hurt on account of the city

Quote Originally Posted by mcsdetroitfriend View Post
    I wouldn't doubt it. Gotta keep all the areas safe for the next couple of weeks don't want Shia Lebouf getting hurt on account of the city
    That's exactly right, we don't

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    Was up at the Packard and a couple of security guards in a beat-up old red SUV pounced on us, informing us that we were on "government property"
    That guy shooed us away also, I asked about 'what movie was going to be made', he said no movie was planned. Drove to the south end, and then he raced up alongside and asked us to leave,
    used the word please...said we were on "private property"

Me and the wife were watching them film this from the brown line platform the other day. COUNTLESS takes of soldiers running into a parking deck, and then setting up to do it again.

Maybe I'll catch a few shots of the action on my visit back to Michigan. The filming here in Chicago was entertaining and a huge business success. Hundreds were in line to get food at the Corner Bakery in my building so they could get up close to the action.

Shot above from my office:

Looking forward to the shots people will get in Detroit.
    Last edited by wolverine; August-23-10 at 11:53 PM.

I can't wait either!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stormdog42/4936195157/

At least hollywood is keeping with local contractors...SRS is a Stone Restoration Services, they specialize in polishing Marble Flooring! I wonder what Michael Bay has up his sleeve, but it makes me VERY excited!

Bad karma on the way....
    This happened on the last day of shooting in the Chicago area.

'Transformers' accident critically injures extra

September 2, 2010 [[EAST CHICAGO, Ind.) [[WLS) -- A 24-year-old woman suffered a serious head injury during the filming of a car stunt at a "Transformers 3" shoot in northwest Indiana one day before filming was supposed to conclude in the Chicago area.

Gabriela Cedillo of Chicago was injured on the set Wednesday around 7 p.m. along a stretch of Cline Avenue, which was closed to traffic for filming, in East Chicago. She is in critical condition, according to published reports, but the hospital will not comment on her condition.
    A stunt was apparently being performed during filming when Cedillo, who is not a stuntman, was hurt.
    Rest of the story here.

Horrible listening to the cause of the crash. She was whipped by a stray cable which broke towing a car.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; September-03-10 at 07:19 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast