• No

28 66.67%
  • I don't know

1 2.38%
  • It makes no difference one way or the other

4 9.52%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Is Obama a Muslim?

Ever since Obama's comments on the so-called Ground Zero Mosque there has been a lot of news coverage regarding Obama's religious beliefs. I'm not sure why this is such a big controversy, but since it is, I'd like to discuss it in this thread. A recent poll conducted by Time magazine shows as many as 18% of Americans believe Obama is indeed Muslim, while 43% say they don't know, and merely 34% say he's Christian [[http://www.time.com/time/politics/ar...011845,00.html). In this thread I want to ask three questions:
    1) Is Obama a Muslim?
    2) Why is there an increasing number of people who believe that he is Muslim?
    3) Does it matter what the president's religious beliefs are?
    Since I asked these questions of the forumers, I feel it is only fair that I answer first.
    1) No, I believe Obama is a Christian.
    2) As the economy and unemployment continue to be bad and the opposition to Obama's policies grow, one strategy for opponents of Obama is to frame him as an outsider who does not share America's values. If successful in framing Obama as being a foreign-born Muslim, the opposition has one more log to throw on the fire to defeat him.
    3) No, it doesn't matter. Certainly, regardless of whether you are a Democrat, Republican, or Independent, there are a lot of legitimate criticisms against the president. We should not fear challenging the ideas of those in power regardless of what party they claim, so I will not demonize Obama's opposition. Personally though, I could care less whether the president is Christian, Muslim, or Atheist. I'm much more concerned with his competence and his understanding of the issues that affect the country. Religion is a personal issue, of which we will never all be on the same page, no matter who is president.
    Okay, let 'er rip!
    Last edited by Crumbled_pavement; August-22-10 at 10:51 AM.

Is President Obama a Muslim? No, it's widely apparent that he is a practicing Christian and has been for some time. He does have more of an Islamic background than the average American with his middle name being popular among many Arab Muslims, and his father was supposedly a practicing Muslim. Also the President himself spent several years of his youth in a country with an Islamic majority.

Why do some believe he is a Muslim? Again, his given name is very popular among Muslims, and it was his father's religion. [[My guess is that if his last name had been Goldstein, many would assume he was secretly a practicing Jew, even in the face of his church attendance.) Also there is some evidence showing that he may have briefly attended and Islamic school as a child [[As a 10 year old I spent a week at Bible camp,that doesn't make me Christian). I have not seen any reports showing an increase in the number of people who believe he is anything other than a practicing Christian with an Islamic family background.

Does it matter what his religious beliefs are? In my opinion it matters immensely. I'm not a Christian, nor am I a Muslim, nor am I religious and in any sense of the word. I do however realize one's beliefs can greatly sway their view on many social and political issues. I would not be in favor of electing a President who faithfully practiced a religion outside the mainstream of the American public.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; August-22-10 at 11:16 AM.

Is this a serious thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    1) Is Obama a Muslim?
    1) No.
    2) It's a diversionary issue his opponents can hype without the political costs of suggesting solutions they'd only retract later. These polls reflect how many activists are being told they believe he's Muslim.
    3) No.

"Framing" in this context is a euphemism for "lying."

It's an amusingly weak substitute for a real issue.

I have no particular reason to believe that the President is a Muslim. He did go to a school in Indonesia in which everyone was expected to be Muslim but he was just a little kid. Arrangement could easily have been made by his relativly wealthy step-father. That part of his life is a bit murky. His absentee father and his step-father were both Muslim but he was raised by his grandparents in Hawaii from age 10 on. They were Unitarians. His mother wasn't known to be a Muslim or even a religious person. Obama was a member of a contoversial Christian church for awhile which is something Muslims don't do. My take on him is that he is more or less a secular person or at least has no strong religious inclinations who has to go through the political motions of being a Christian much like Reagan did. I am even inclined to believe that he most likely was born in Hawai but not being a Muslim is even more of a certainty.
    Last edited by oladub; August-22-10 at 11:49 AM. Reason: ealily > easily

What is wrong with being a Muslim?

WASHINGTON — House Republicans on Thursday blocked a Democratic plan to provide billions of dollars for medical treatment to rescue workers and residents of New York City who suffered illnesses from the toxic dust and debris at ground zero.
    A majority of the lawmakers in the chamber supported the bill, but the 255-to-159 vote fell short of the two-thirds margin needed under special rules that were used to bring the measure to the floor. In the end, 243 Democrats and 12 Republicans supported the measure; 155 Republicans and 4 Democrats opposed it.

more: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/30/ny...30zadroga.html

LodgeDodger Guest

Who gives a shit about his religious beliefs?

Quote Originally Posted by barnesfoto View Post
    WASHINGTON — House Republicans on Thursday blocked a Democratic plan to provide billions of dollars for medical treatment to rescue workers and residents of New York City who suffered illnesses from the toxic dust and debris at ground zero.
    A majority of the lawmakers in the chamber supported the bill, but the 255-to-159 vote fell short of the two-thirds margin needed under special rules that were used to bring the measure to the floor. In the end, 243 Democrats and 12 Republicans supported the measure; 155 Republicans and 4 Democrats opposed it.

What does this have to do with Muslims?

All religion is bunk. Again, apologies to Henry Ford.

I'm rather appalled that so many American's have been misinformed... more than likely by TV "Commentators"...

I don't give a flying fuck!

Only bad things happen when politics and religion mix. Case in point: the Republican party. They only use religion when it suits them in demonizing democrats and republicans who are not extreme right enough. Obama was too far Christian when he was still loosely connected to Reverend Wright. If anyone doesn't remember, that was before Obama was a Muslim.... duh...

People who ask if he's a Muslim are:
    1) complete morons.
    2) people who have a short memory span.
    3) bigots.
    4) not focused on the real problems that face America.
    5) drinking too much tea.

Quote Originally Posted by barnesfoto View Post

I hope you have seen the video of Rep. Weiner [[D-NYC) just going absolutely OFF on the Republicans who blocked this

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    1) Is Obama a Muslim?

1) No, he is not a Muslim, he clearly stated his path toward Christianity in his book. During the election, cons were saying he belonged to a radical Christian Church that focused on black nationalism. Now they say he is a Muslim. These are clearly desperate folks, grasping for straws because they have no plan to fix Bush's mess.

2) Because we have racists who are too scared to say what they mean, and instead use code speak and disguise themselves in the tea-bagger movement. The rest of the simpleton's who share this belief have spent too much time watching Fox Propaganda Network.

3) Not to educated, free thinking people, but to many folks who embrace the anti-intellectual, tea-bagger movement it is very important because they feel anyone who fails to embrace their narrow-minded views are somehow less worthy to breath the air.

he went to a catholic school in Asia also does that make him, a papist?

Quote Originally Posted by d.mcc View Post
    I hope you have seen the video of Rep. Weiner [[D-NYC) just going absolutely OFF on the Republicans who blocked this
    Raw Video: N.Y. Rep Weiner's Anti-GOP Rant
    Congressman Anthony Weiner [[D-NY) became furious at his GOP colleagues during a debate over a 9/11 victims compensation bill. The bill would have provided up to $7.4 billion in aid to people sickened by World Trade Center dust. [[July 30)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    So awesome... Makes me proud of MY rep.

Orlando 8th district rep... ALAN GRAYSON

This is so fucking disgusting that the White House had to make a statement clarifying our president is in fact a Christian...

This is like accusing 1 person in the US with a thought crime.

"Jesus Christ guys, I am a Christian, goddammit.."

"Tell that to the wizard boy..."

Quote Originally Posted by d.mcc View Post
    "Jesus Christ guys, I am a Christian, goddammit.."

ahhhh ha...ha*sniff* heh.....*sniff**wipe* eheh.ahhh

you made my day with that lol

But yeah...who cares? "Oh no! The wrong God is running our country! Fear Fear!!!!!!!! Hate! Endtimes!" lol

stupid.

This proves that rich right wingers don't need to be smart to buy thier way into politics.And Whitehouse... thanks for saving me a lot of typing! :-)

littlebuddy Guest

I think he was one, but later converted to the "christian" faith of Rev. Wrong. But according to some Muslims, once a Muslim, always a Muslim and if you choose not to be one, killing that person is the punishment. But he could also still be Muslim, because lying and deceiving the infidels is ok as long the the cause of Islam is being helped, thus his coldness towards Israel. I don't think he is religous one way or another.

I can't believe 5 people here think he is. I mean for meow's sake, you can do a quick google search and find out. Boy are you fuckers dumb!

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    I can't believe 5 people here think he is. I mean for meow's sake, you can do a quick google search and find out. Boy are you fuckers dumb!
    I read something in the local right-leaning rag about, with a middle name like Hussein, he must be Muslim. No mention of all the Arab Christians... you know, who still have traditional Arab names...

And to add, not to mention, it's gotta be really fucking difficult to lead when you have to constantly address your religion. Regardless of the fact that if corporations in this country are prohibited from asking your religious affiliation, why public office would be any difference just floors me.

People in this country really bug the shit out of me sometimes.

No. He is a half-breed muslin.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast