Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Baile corcaigh closing today

Today is the last call for Baile Coraigh, after 4 years and 3 months. A true Irish wake. It's sad. Today will be the last day open. Stop by.
    Last edited by Lowell; April-30-09 at 09:33 PM.

Sad indeed. I celebrated my birthday there a few years ago.

Can't get down there, unfortunately, but have a round for me.

NOOOOOO!!! I'm mourning Sizzle n' Spice right now. Not another one!

detmich Guest

Detroit RISES!

That's really too bad, though I almost never saw it open.

I agree with that. I don't understand how a retail establishment can exist very long when it doesn't keep regular hours. I get over to that part of Corktown fairly regularly and they usually appeared to be closed.

That is very depressing. I've always enjoyed the food and atmosphere there. I'm hoping that they're putting the business on "pause", rather that a complete shutdown. The many friends and relatives we brought there gave it an enthusastic two thumbs up.

Although times are tight, it is important to support your favorite establishments whenever possible. The other choice is misty eyed rememberances on Detroityes.

this calls for a giant sad face.

krap.....my girlfriends favorite place....and walking distance from my house.

I too hope it is a 'pause'

dexterferry Guest

I hope this provides a chance for somebody to take it over and run a really cool Irish pub in that great location; hopefully a more proletarian pub with fewer $25 entrees and more pints that cost under $7. Also, this will be a chance for someone to finally do something about those drop ceilings.

It is for the most part a beautiful pub and it deserved to be patronized by more than 2-3 tables per night.

The owners did not have restaurant or bar experience.and, put a ton of money into it. And the prices were high. I paid 4 dollars for a 12 ounce beer!

The food was worth the money . . . what a disappointment.

My cousin worked there until the end, and has some very valuable perceptions and suggestions for the right ears.

Bummer. That was a great place, and the neighborhood needed it. It was a little pricey. The food was good but they should have had some lower end items.

Bearinabox Guest

Well, that sucks. Can't say I'm surprised, but it sucks all the same. I hope someone finds a use for the building, it'd be a shame to have it sit empty after they put all that work into the interior.

It's a shame they're closing. I was a patron on more than a few occasions. Even though the hospitality and food were very good, I was always surprised they lasted as long as they did. Why? Because most times I went by, there were no signs they were even open, much less busy. I took friends there soon after they opened for business. We'd been making rounds downtown. There was not one, single, light on in the lot or on the building. The lot was empty and weeds were growing in the cracks of the pavement. I thought, 'damn, they're gone already'. I made it a point to check the door, and sure enough, they were open and a few customers were inside. We had a very nice time. The bartenders and manager were always accomodating.

very sad. The owner did have bar experience, however
    not this type of bar/restaurant and maybe they needed to lean more toward being neighborhood friendly than rely on the customers that only came to celebrate a
    special occasion. Prices were too high on all counts. No question the food was good, but most of it was priced out of even wanting to try it. Frees up more time now to frequent Angelinas - always felt guilty doing that while Bally Cork was open.

Never ate there, yet went in to get a menu for my Dad. He saw the prices and said " Lets go to Buddy's". Whenever I went by there they did seem to look like they were closed.

That was probably one of the nicest bars I've ever been in. I took a date there and felt as if I were in Ireland. They had an Irish band and a couple of young girls step dancing. I was really bummed when I saw that it had closed.

This reminds me of the bar closest to my house . It is only open 4 nights a week and the last time I was in there, they had only one bottle of Bud.My daughter who likes to drink them fancy girly drinks, said lets walk to the other bar they ain,t got no liquor.It is sad when you see a place close when you hoped it would make it. But in the case of Baile Corcaigh, I'll drink a High Life in memory of it and the closed Pubs in and around here.

The prices were too high...you can say the food was "worth it," but the whole point of a pub atmosphere is that it's affordable.

just to pointlessly add to the postmortem on this place, i went a handful of times. It never seemed like they had everything running right...and yes, prices seemed to be higher than they could reasonably charge.
    Sad to see a business go under, especially one where the people running it put their money where there mouth was when it comes to investing in Detroit.
    However, the biggest peeve is what was noted already, so I'll just second the points made above, if you are going to have a bar/restaurant; have, and adhere to, regular hours. This "random hours" phenomenon seems to be a Detroit problem. if you can't support being open the regular hours you set and advertise, adjust the hours- and make it clear you're no longer open on x night. Don't simply close on nights business is slow...while having every indication that you should be open. And if you are open, look like you are f-ing open. Don't make the customer guess if you are still in business or not.

Too bad, I was there three or four times and liked the place.

but it did seem out of place to me. A upscale sit-down restaurant in an area where there really aren't any. It was very nice, but much cheaper meals are to be found in that part of town pretty easily. I remember sitting at a table with a white tablecloth and nice silverware thinking "this is odd, not like SW Detroit at all".

But it was a gorgeous place. It must be hell trying to make a go of a new restaurant these days. Seems to me the entire country is over-supplied with eateries.

ERIN GO BRAUGH to my Irish ancentors who came and grew up in Corktown.

Baile Corcaigh forever!

You're missing the point. Irish pub are a dime a dozen. They wanted to show off better Irish cuisine. Sharon even spent time in Ireland taking cooking lessons, so she would be more familiar with the food.

As for the hours, they were consistent early on, but when things get tough, you pull back where you can to preserve cash. It kills me when people say they should advertise this or that. Advertising is not cheap, and it often comes with uncertain returns.

Out of place? It was an Irish restaurant in Corktown! And even though that may border SW Detroit, what difference does it make? Doesn't SW Detroit deserve nice restaurants, too?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast