Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Kilpatrick's appeal coming soon, his attorney says

I was starting to wonder about this. It felt like he was going to finish serving his sentence before Legal Godzilla got around to filing an appeal.

Reed said Friday he will ask the Michigan Court of Appeals within 10 days to allow him to challenge Kilpatrick’s probation violation and imprisonment by Wayne County Circuit Judge David Groner.

Timothy Baughman, head of the Wayne County prosecutor’s appellate division, said the clock has been ticking since the May 25 sentencing, with no filings, and “one begins to think that Mr. Kilpatrick has other things on his mind.”

Reed said the time has been spent working out appellate strategy in light of Kilpatrick’s June indictment on federal tax charges.

Reed said part of the strategizing is convincing the appellate court to even consider the matter because Kilpatrick’s probation was part of a plea deal with the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office. Under Michigan law, convictions are automatically appealable, but challenges from guilty pleas are heard only with the appellate court’s approval.
    Read more: freep.com | http://www.freep.com/article/2010082...#ixzz0xHCncaqf

Not that I want to see him out of Jail, but his lawyer had a months notice before Kwame was going back to Jail. The paperwork should have been drawn up then and presented on the first day he sat in Jail.

I'm not 100% clear on the timing here, but perhaps they had an inkling about those federal charges and wanted to see how that played out.

On the other hand, I can't believe you're questioning Arnold Reed, Esq.'s competency. I mean, his lawyer-ific website says he's "Long time friend with Tavis Smiley who appears regularly on the Tom Joyner morning show. Arnold Reed shares many of the philosophies of this political and social analyst." In his Reed Report, he even forgives "all the PIMP PREACHERS of the world [[you know who you are) who nickle slick and shuck and jive from the pulpit using religion as an opiate of the people. Now pass the cup of accountability." This is Tavis Smiley they're talking about, I mean, Pimp Preachers, come on!!!

I think we can all agree we'd like to be so lucky as to have our lawyers be friends with Tavis Smiley, and shucking the Pimp Preachers.