Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default What American made products do you buy

There are some people here that insist everyone should buy American. Typically that mantra comes from the Big 3 rah-rahs but I wonder what other products this mentality applies to.

So let's hear it:

1. What American made products do you buy.
    2. What American made products do you pay a premium over foreign options to 'buy American'

I do buy American cars [[all I've ever owned) but I don't tend to look at labels of most products. I try to spend my money in the city to help the local economy. I would prefer to buy a foregn made product in a Detroit store than buy an American made product that is not available in the city. The whole we need jobs in Detroit thingy.

I only buy American made dishes, silverware, and cookware. All my pots and pans were made in Toledo [[Calphalon). Not all Calphalon is made there, but you can check the label. If my food is going to touch it, it has to be US made.

Computers.

cookware is a good idea JL. I'm reminded of that chinese cheese grater that was made with radioactive metals

http://www.scrippsnews.com/node/43576

Case in point: The discovery late last summer of a radioactive EKCO cheese grater at a Flint, Mich., scrap plant. The Chinese-made grater was laced with the isotope Cobalt-60, and was giving off the equivalent to a chest X-ray every 36 hours.
    Estimated to have been in circulation for as long as a decade, the grater likely was four to five times more radioactive when it was made. EKCO's parent company, World Kitchen, of Rosemont, Ill., described the incident as isolated and found no need to issue a recall, spokesman Bryan Glancy said.
    It was not the only grater found. NRC documents show that another Cobalt-60-tainted cheese grater had turned up in Jacksonville, Fla., in 2006. The reports do not indicate what brand of grater it was or if it was related to the one that surfaced in Michigan.
    I'll add all food products should be made here, canada or europe. Coffee being and exception. Canadian grown coffee just doesn't make the grade.

Are there any products fully made here? From raw materials to ready-to-use product including packaging and printing?

There are a few websites that feature American made products. You do have to keep up on them, as the overwhelming trend has been to close up here and start mfg. overseas.

What we do is try to buy American made whenever possible. If we find something foreign made and can wait, we will call around and try to find a comparable US made product locally or on line.

www.buyamerican.com
    www.howtobuyamerican.com
    www.madeinusa.org

Problem is, "Made in USA" doesn't mean anything any more. If the final screws are tuned to attach a cover plate to a product that was essentially manufactured somewhere else, it can be called "Made in USA". Even most cars are assembled with a significant portion of foreign products.

That's why you have to keep up on them. The sites I posted try to address that.

Default Whats pretty sad John...

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    I only buy American made dishes, silverware, and cookware. All my pots and pans were made in Toledo [[Calphalon). Not all Calphalon is made there, but you can check the label. If my food is going to touch it, it has to be US made.
    There is only 1 company in the US that is makin silverware anymore...That is Sherrill manufacturing...

Does weed count?

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    Does weed count?
    You only buy American weed? I thought Canada had some top shelf stuff.

Made-in-U.S.A. honey.

Interesting story about it: I was in Meijer's to purchase some honey. There was a range of prices on a range of honey containers so I started reading labels. Meijer's carries honey from Ecuador, Argentina, and... Ohio. I didn't buy any.

Had reason to be in the neighboring Wal-mart supercenter and while I was there, I checked out their honey stock.

They had only Michigan honey on the shelf, in bigger jugs than was available at Meijer, so that's where I bought the honey.

Honey is one thing I can buy local, but I consider that produce rather than a manufactured product.

The jar I have now came from a keeper just a few miles from me.

1. I buy American Cheese
    2. I paid more for my American Made [[Indiana) Toyota than what I would have paid for a Chevy 1500 built with parts from China and Mexico and assembled in Canada.
    Problem is, "Made in USA" doesn't mean anything any more. If the final screws are tuned to attach a cover plate to a product that was essentially manufactured somewhere else, it can be called "Made in USA". Even most cars are assembled with a significant portion of foreign products
    totally true!

Lets not forget those boses with the big "Made in USA" sticker on them only to find out the product was packaged and "made in USA" not the product; especially cardboard boxes.

Buyer beware.

Kentucky is the only place i buy my bourbon from!

LodgeDodger Guest

My Subaru is made from 55% percent American-made parts. It was also assembled here.

My dishes are Fiestaware.

New Balance running shoes!

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    New Balance running shoes!
    That's right... Not all though, check the labels before you buy.

They claim that American Apparel is made from scratch in LA, but there are other problems with that company. Basically, the owner is a sleazebag.

I always buy US or Canadian built US cars. New Balance shoes and Red Wing work shoes that are US made. US honey and dairy products. I won't eat Chinese fish. I tend toward US brand tools where I have the choice although they are becoming less common. I can't think of any major US electronics around the house. Major appliances, at home, are all US made.

I remember a TV news story about when GE closed it's US toaster factory becase it was cheaper to make toasters overseas. I wonder how much GE saved per toaster sending its production line overseas. GE probably didn't have to pay so many pensions to start with. Government and ultimately taxpayers got stuck paying for the unemplyment bills of all the toaster workers. It was just another case of privitizing profit while sticking taxpayers with bills due. It's all very sad watching our jobs being washed down the drain.

"OK, I'll start a new thread and you will continue to duck what non-automtovie items you have bought at a premium to support American companies"

Guess you were right, jt1

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    I always buy US or Canadian built US cars. New Balance shoes and Red Wing work shoes that are US made. US honey and dairy products. I won't eat Chinese fish. I tend toward US brand tools where I have the choice although they are becoming less common. I can't think of any major US electronics around the house. Major appliances, at home, are all US made.
    Oh, you reminded me - Channellock™, accept no substitute.

Not only are cars tricky when it comes to the source of the parts and production... I just bought some 100% Pure Minute Maid Apple Juice.... and didn't look at the package until I got home...

It's made with concentrated apple juice from.... [[drum roll)... USA, Argentina, Austria, Chile, China, Germany and Turkey....

For pure American food products, Welch's is a great company to buy from... the USA farm cooperatives that produce the fruits... collectively own the company.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Not only are cars tricky when it comes to the source of the parts and production... I just bought some 100% Pure Minute Maid Apple Juice.... and didn't look at the package until I got home...

It's made with concentrated apple juice from.... [[drum roll)... USA, Argentina, Austria, Chile, China, Germany and Turkey....

For pure American food products, Welch's is a great company to buy from... the USA farm cooperatives that produce the fruits... collectively own the company.
    Although it is a tangent - Some juices list 100% juice which is accurate but use cheaper filler juices like Apple Juice. Next time you buy Cranberry juice that is 100% juice you may be getting 20% Cranberry and 80% other juices regardless what it is called on the label

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast