Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Waste Management Dump Site@Incinerator

What's going on at the 'Free' dump site for Detroit City Residents
    at the Ferry St. Waste Management facility [[at the incinerator)?????
    Used to be able to dump there for free Mon., thru Fri., 8:00am-5:00pm.
    1000lb.weight limit.
    Now........................
    No more 'Free' dumping, after Sept.1st.
    Didn't we get our regular 'Bulk Pick-up' reduced to nothing a coupla' years back,
    and large amounts of 'illegal dumping' began turning up EVERYWHERE!!!!!
    Then the 'Powers That Be' re-instituted bulk pick-up, but in a limited capacity.
    But that worked well only because the 'Free Dumping' was available concurrently.
    Now we're being charged to dump [[you can dump,but have to pay).
    Isn't that going to cause a resurgence of the widespread 'illegal dumping'.
    And what about the annual $300.00 rise in our 'Trash Pick-up' ????
    Whatever came of that?
    Another K. Kilpatrick 'Fund'?
    I for one, used that dumping and appreciated it.
    I for one am pissed and wondering, what the heck is going on?
    Must I contact some media 'Problem Solver' to get to the bottom of this one?
    Can anyone explain why this is occurring, other than the obvious answer....
    Detroit Can't Afford It Anymore!!!!!!
    ....or
    'Waste Management Is [[the mob) Don't Mess With Them!!!!"

If you have bothered to look at your Tax Bill lately you will notice that post-Kwame the rate has been decreased. As far as I know you can still take bulk stuff to the City Yards for disposal. If you are complaining about 1,000 pound limits per dump, you are abusing the system. Most likely you are a business owner who should be using a private dumpster company instead.

EastSider Guest

I don't understand how people can seemingly continuously generate enough trash for bulk pick up. We're a family of four, and our can gets only about half-full each week. In the winter, I don't even bother putting it out every week.

Something has changed about bulk drop-offs. I use the yard at Anton & Cavalry for re-cycling cardboard and containers and occasional bulk items that I pick up from the streets and alleys I too never have anything to put out and use a single dumpster only every few weeks).

Last time I went [[in July) the recycling bins were gone and the guys showed me a big blue boxcar, telling me to put recycling in it. Then I noticed that they were telling people to put old rusty metal in the same box and wood items etc. I asked if were truly for recycling and they said no, that a new company had taken over and the new company did not do recycling.
    Never sure what information is correct from low-level city employess [[or high-ups for that matter). But clear there is a change.

Another complaint about, at least, the yard I use: the workers will not open the door of any car. Users have to throw materials over the rim of the car by themselves. This is hard when you are a small woman. They say that they have bad backs and cannot open the doors - tough for you!

DetroitPole Guest

Illegal bulk dumping is one of the biggest quality-of-life problems in this city, in my opinion.

When I used to live in a not-so-nice neighborhood, it would happen pretty frequently. It happens where I live now, too. I believe a lot of it is both city residents who don't give a shit and suburban businesses and residents who know they can get away with dumping in Detroit.

A woman once dumped a laundry sink in my alley. I broke it apart and put it in my big black rolley dumpster thing. It really wasn't hard. Then one time the residents of my duplex left a broken TV on the porch forever, which was equally easy to break up and put in the dumpster. Aside from the ever-present boats marooned in the 'hood [[if only they could find a way to scrap those) it seems to me it is pretty easy to break down whatever trash you have and gradually have it hauled away every trash day. I've never had a problem with trash pick-up. Yet we have all these vacant houses vomiting all kinds of garbage out their windows. Just waiting to catch on fire.

When I have had bulk items, like when I moved, I left them out NOT on bulky day [[I know this is a violation) and they disappeared overnight. Kind of amazing, things with absolutely no value, carted away to whatever Sanford-and-Son shityard. Then when bulky day rolled around last I put out some big stupid cabinet thing and it disappeared WITHIN AN HOUR. Granted, it was made of metal, so they guy probably sold it for a rock. Maybe on his rounds he stripped some otherwise nice houses and made them worthless, so he could get high.

I've been to a lot of cities and never noticed it being such a weird problem that we have.

I think in other cities it's basically unheard of. At least in many other cities.

I first came across that kind of thing in Tanzania, one of the poorest countries in the world, where an article in a newspaper stated that someone had died scrapping a power line.

My first thought when reading the first few posts about the Carl's Chop House thread was "Aha. The new owner/heir lives in New York. He probably just flat out didn't believe the Detroiters who told him to secure the building beyond the obvious."

7. Default

Illegal dumping is a problem in my native St. Louis. It's not as bad as it is in Detroit, what with the trash piles and boats, but it's pretty bad. My favorite is the jerks with concrete trailers who leave a big splorpy mound of concrete on a street corner or in an alley. Since I lived on the black/supposedly bad side of town, of course we bore the brunt of it. One block where I did some rehab work on a house was a frequent site--people would dump out in the open, in broad daylight, multiple times a day! Unfortunately, the house where I was working was juuust at the wrong angle to get license plate numbers or decent photos before the jerks sped off.

In general, how is trash service in Detroit? Is it consistent? Does everybody get service? My block in StL did not receive any trash service whatsoever and the city was well aware of it, so when I moved up here I was worried I'd face similar problems. So far so good, although things might not be the same in Brightmoor or Delray as they are on my current block in the Cass Corridor.

Quote Originally Posted by claireianthelibrarian View Post
    So far so good, although things might not be the same in Brightmoor or Delray as they are on my current block in the Cass Corridor.

What are the decent neighborhoods in Detroit and which ones are places to avoid? From what I can tell Detroit seems to be like a speckled egg when it comes to services and neighborhoods with patches of good and bad everywhere.

DetroitPole Guest

Trash service in Detroit in my experience has been consistent and good.

I've lived in 3 neighborhoods: 1 good and bad, the other pretty shitty, and a nice neighborhood, and they've all been good.

The neighborhood question comes up a lot. There are good and bad people everywhere. Brightmoor and Delray are good examples anyway of places you might not look for a house to purchase.

Much of Detroit isn't really divided by neighborhoods anyway. There is certainly the traditional list of the "best" neighborhoods or the "up-and-coming" that includes Palmer Woods, Indian Village, Sherwood Forest, Rosedale Park, North Rosedale Park, Grandmont-Rosedale, East English Village, Woodbridge, Midtown, downtown, Lafayette Park, Corktown, West Village. Southwest and Warrendale are working class[[and countless other areas in Detroit) and have problems but are ok. All subjecive, of course.

What also amazes me about Detroit is that from one block to the next everything can very so wildly, even in the same neighborhood. You can have a block of burned-out shelled next to a whole block of well-kept houses.