Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bike Stolen!

Default Bike Stolen!

Probably long gone, and it doesn't mean much to the folks here but help is appreciated.

!STOLEN! 60's Schwinn single speed, front basket, black with white, red and blue stripes. Last seen outside Cass Cafe 8/20 @ 12 am

Very sorry to hear your bike got stolen. Definitely been there. It's frustrating. The reality is, it's almost impossible to leave your bike anywhere and not risk it getting stolen. Mine was taken in front of my apartment building, on a very busy well lit retail street. It was only recovered because street and business security cameras IDed the guy who comes around the area from time to time and they were able to nab him.. U-locks are cheap crap and can be released with a hammer, and of course cable locks can easily be cut. The only way is to drag around a heavy chain lock

Also very sorry to hear about your bike. I use my bike for about 50 percent of my commuting and u-lock it everywhere I go. I didn't know that u-locks were so easy to get through.

Was yours locked?
    Last edited by Pcm; August-20-10 at 05:32 AM.

May be worth putting a flyer up at the usual bike spots [[Hub, 3rd, Wheelhouse).
    I feel your pain. My heavily-modified, brown Schwinn Suburban [[originally my dad's) was stolen last summer. I still slow down or chase similar looking bikes when I'm out and about, fully convinced that I will find it one day.
    I'll be on the lookout for this one, as well.

It is a big pain having your bike stolen and I completely sympathize; I can't even keep track of how many I have lost over the years. Luckily, haven't lost any recently.

Any bike lock can be defeated, but I think the vulnerability of a good U-lock is being overstated here.

Here is an article on different types of bike locks and how to use them:

http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/bike+lock.html

There are links on the page to REI merchandise, but the article itself isn't an ad.

I had one stolen back in the 60's in front of a church in Detroit.
    This was at 6:30 am Mass.
    Guess thieves never sleep and have no fear of eternal damnation.
    At least, you weren't on the bike when it was stolen.
    Always made me laugh when the cops wanted you to pay for a bike license.
    That was for id in case they ever recovered it. Fat chance.

LodgeDodger Guest

I use one of these. It's heavy as heck, but it's effective.

Had a bike stolen from in front of Cunninhams drugs on Houston in the late 70's.
    The neighborhood wasnt even really going bad then.

Kryptonite locks can be opened any number of ways by those who know how, and if all else fails a good hard whack from a sledgehammer often does the trick. I found this out the hard way. Back in my bike commuting days in NYC, after my Kyptonite had just been banged off my bike, I carried a heavy chain lock with a heavy rubber sheath to discourage use of bolt cutters.

if you really are serious about protecting your bike, paint it with old clumpy house paint and cover it with bird poop decales

Quote Originally Posted by KOMPOST View Post
    May be worth putting a flyer up at the usual bike spots [[Hub, 3rd, Wheelhouse).
    Definitely go up to the Hub and 3rd Ave Hardware and give them a description and photo of the bike. Lots of thieves try to sell the bikes to these places, and if it has been reported stolen, they will take possession of the bike and call you.

article on painting your bike ugly:
    http://www.olino.org/us/articles/200...f-your-bicycle

BEFORE

AFTER

Not stolen, I kidnapped it and parked it in Amsterdam.

Yes! We Dutch are CRAAAAAZY!!

There is an almost full proof anti theft method for bicycles.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; August-20-10 at 12:20 PM.

that sucks i hope you find lisa's bike

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post

I use one of these. It's heavy as heck, but it's effective.
    Those are worse than cable blocks. Had that exact brand twice. They release by knocking the end.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Ohhhhhhh...shit.

Have you tried the basement of the Alamo?

20. Default

Sorry to hear about the bike. She's nice. Hopefully the uniqueness of it will allow you to spot it.

Bike thieves are scum.

if you are looking for a free bike just cruise around the burbs on trash day. People throw all kinds of good things away in my neighborhood. You just need to get them before the metal scrappers pick them up

Default License

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    I had one stolen back in the 60's in front of a church in Detroit.
    This was at 6:30 am Mass.
    Guess thieves never sleep and have no fear of eternal damnation.
    At least, you weren't on the bike when it was stolen.
    Always made me laugh when the cops wanted you to pay for a bike license.
    That was for id in case they ever recovered it. Fat chance.
    Back in the 60's, my 24" Schwinn was stolen from behind my garage. I lived on the SW side, 4th precint. Several years went by when the phone rang, it was the police from number 6, they had found my bike [[thanks to the license). Someone had tried to make a motor-bike out of it complete with a ''sealed beam'' head light and battery pack,.minus the motor.

The hamtramck police recovered a stolen bike for one of the neighbor kids about 2 weeks ago, after we told him to call the police, which he did. Half an hour later, they recovered the bike and arrested the perp. [[assault) on the Detroit side of Carpenter.

After the disbelief, we cheered for the officers.

http://www.freep.com/article/2010083...032/1001/rss01

Residents in Sterling Heights reported a rash of bike thefts, three taken right out of the homeowners’ garages Monday night.
    3 is a rash?

Back in the 80's my Raleigh was chained to the Rochester police station while I was walking around downtown, and it was stolen !
    A few days later, my buddy and I were walking around the park there, and saw the thief riding around on it. My buddy thought he could catch a 16 year old on a 18 speed and gave chase. That lasted about a 100 yards.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast