Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Houston-whittier Hayes area.

Hi,
    I'm a new poster here.
    I want know if anybody here grew up in Northeast Detroit in the 1970's.
    I grew up on Rochelle St. a couple doors from Queen.
    I remember we had a Chatham market, on Hayes and Mayfield,an A&P on Houston, Jones Brothers ACE Hardware, Papes [[Pares?) House of Gifts across from there, and my favorites, the Kressgees dime store, and Cunninghams Drugs between Hayes and Kelly.
    I had my first bank account at Standard Federal Savings at Kelly and Hayes,
    Does anyone remember the little shoe repair shop across the alley from the bank?
    We filled our bike tires at Degroff and sons Amoco at Hayes and Rochelle street. [[Free Air!)
    We went to movies at the Civic Theatre and bowled at Denby Lanes.
    We also had Lopos hobby shop, the Bonnie Lo supermarket, does any one remember the Fotomat in the bonnie Lo parking lot?
    I now live in Roseville, but drive through my old neighborhood from time to time, i'm sorry to see how much it has deteriorated.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochelle St. View Post
    Hi,
    I'm a new poster here.
    I remember we had a Chatham market, on Hayes and Mayfield,an A&P on Houston, Jones Brothers ACE Hardware, Papes [[Pares?) House of Gifts across from there, and my favorites, the Kressgees dime store, and Cunninghams Drugs between Hayes and Kelly.
    Does anyone remember the little shoe repair shop across the alley from the bank?
    We filled our bike tires at Degroff and sons Amoco at Hayes and Rochelle street. [[Free Air!)
    We also had Lopos hobby shop, the Bonnie Lo supermarket, does any one remember the Fotomat in the bonnie Lo parking lot?
    I now live in Roseville, but drive through my old neighborhood from time to time, i'm sorry to see how much it has deteriorated.
    I do remember most of the landmarks mentioned. What a memory jog with the Fotomat in the parking lot!. I believe Eastland had one in their parking lot also for a short period of time. Do you remember Weinsteins jewelry and electronics gift shop on the south west corner of Houston-Whitter and Kelly?

That store was leveled for a parking lot for the liquor business next door.
    I remember the single round column in front of the entrance.
    I also remember Winklemans and Cindy's Hallmark card shop on Houston.
    And lets not forget the Sanders!

Do you know where We can see any old pictures from this part of Detroit?
    Particularly the Civic theatre, the older the better.
    The only ones I can find is that sad one with the Marque cut off.
    I'd like to see one from when it first opened in the 40's.
    The Steiner family once owned the theatre.
    They must have pictures.
    P.S.
    I'm told Eastland also had a farmhouse in the North parking lot once!
    But I'm not old enough to remember that! LOL!
    Last edited by Rochelle St.; August-19-10 at 07:56 PM.

That store was leveled for a parking lot for the liquor business next door.
    I remember the single round column in front of the entrance.
    I also remember Winklemans and Cindy's Hallmark card shop on Houston.
    And lets not forget the Sanders!

Do you know where We can see any old pictures from this part of Detroit?
    Particularly the Civic theatre, the older the better.
    The only ones I can find is that sad one with the Marque cut off.
    I'd like to see one from when it first opened in the 40's.
    The Steiner family once owned the theatre.
    They must have pictures.
    P.S.
    I'm told Eastland also had a farmhouse in the North parking lot once!
    But I'm not old enough to remember that! LOL!
    http://www.waterwinterwonderland.com...?ID=529&type=5
    You've probably seen the above website regarding old theaters and drive-ins.

Regarding the farmhouse at Eastland: The house with about and acre of surrounding land was located on the north end of the Vernier[[8-Mile) parking lot. It was the oddest scene. The original land owners had a lease agreement that the house and surrounding property could remain until the home owners passed away.

Rochelle St.: Try this link: http://cinematreasures.org/theater/2650/
    The Civic is still a magnificent looking building, despite the neglect. I share your passion for it. That architectural style is getting more scarce as time goes on. It would be a great community center for the neighborhood one day.
    Last edited by kathy2trips; August-20-10 at 02:45 AM.

I'm a little earlier than the 70's - grew up in the area in the 50's, so I don't recall Bonnie Lo - I assume that's where the Kroger store used to be on SE corner of Kelly & Whittier. I always remember that store because it was the first one I recall that had an "electric eye" that opened the door automatically. Unlike the ones that are positioned overhead now, this one was mounted on a post about 2 feet off the ground - perfect for kids like me and my brother to keep putting our hands in front of the light beam to keep opening and closing the door while my mom shopped. It was quite a vibrant corner with 3 super markets [[Kroger, A & P, and Great Scott).

Regular Saturday matinees for hundreds of kids at the Civic; also, lining up behind the patrons at the counter at Sanders to wait for an empty stool; the old wooden floors at Kresge. There was a Merchandise Mart for years on Kelly where we bought all our auto parts and other misc. items. That area had everything we needed.

I didn't grow up in that area specifically, but I did spend allot of time there. My Grandmother lived on Rochelle a block or two East of Chalmers. During the '70's my brother and I would visit her often and spend the weekend, etc there.

I remember the A & P on the corner. Spent a lot of time at the Kresge counter having donuts while Grandma and Grandpa had coffee. I still have all of the Tigers collectors glasses that we got from Sander's.

Also spent a large amount of time at the Kaufman's bar, my dad like going in there whenever we were down that way. In the early '60's [[Before my time) the bar sponsored his race car out at Mt. Clemons race track.

During the '80's my friend and I used to bike ride to my Grandma's then walk over to the Civic to watch movies. We never told Grandma, but by that time the Civic would let anyone see the R rated movies, no matter how old you really were.

In the late '90's my brother was a bar tender at Big Bill's Saloon which was right across the street from the Old A & P store. I made sure to stop there for free drinks when I turned 21.

When Detroit announced a few months back what houses they were going to Demo some Rochelle houses were listed. I google viewed the block and my Grandmas house was already a dirt lot by that time.

I lived on Mayfield in the mid 70's and bought a home on Craft St. nearby back when the area was decent . I remember a place across from the catholic church on Houston-Whittier that had the best fish I ever tasted '' Milroy's Fish and Chips '' people were always lined up out the door

Lopo's camera and trains. Rode my bike to that store many times to buy model train items and magazines and would stop on the way back at Alinosi's ice cream shop for a sunday. Another world in another time.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnatic View Post
    I lived on Mayfield in the mid 70's and bought a home on Craft St. nearby back when the area was decent . I remember a place across from the catholic church on Houston-Whittier that had the best fish I ever tasted '' Milroy's Fish and Chips '' people were always lined up out the door
    Milroy's was the only "take out" my parents ever patronized.

You really didn't want to buy fish and chips from Milroy's on a Friday evening. You couldn't get to within three blocks of the place. My folks [[non-Catholic) always tried to have fish and chips on an earlier day of the week.

We kids would get real excited when my mother said she wasn't cooking and would stop by Milroy's.

Quote Originally Posted by kville View Post
    It was quite a vibrant corner with 3 super markets [[Kroger, A & P, and Great Scott).

There was a Big Bear Supermarket somewhere in the mix.

I remember going there to get Coca-Cola in the yellow wooden crate, twenty-four six-ounce bottles. The deposit was sixty cents, two cents per bottle and twelve cents for the crate. The bottles had the location of the original bottling plant that bought the bottle. Obviously, most of the bottles said Detroit, Michigan, but about ten per cent of the bottles would have migrated in and you often had a bottle from Chicago, Toledo, or elsewhere in the US.

DC48080 Guest

And you can't forget the Pointe Athletic Club on Whittier.

Yup, I remember it when I was a kid, the Sanders and Keresge's, Cunningham,s too.. I must have been four or five years when I first remember eating at Milroy's. In the earlier 80s I used to ride my bike to the Keresge's I noticed the neighborhood starting to get bad around then.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    http://www.waterwinterwonderland.com...?ID=529&type=5
    You've probably seen the above website regarding old theaters and drive-ins.

Regarding the farmhouse at Eastland: The house with about and acre of surrounding land was located on the north end of the Vernier[[8-Mile) parking lot. It was the oddest scene. The original land owners had a lease agreement that the house and surrounding property could remain until the home owners passed away.
    The folks at the farmhouse even had a horse. I got the biggest kick out of seeing a horse in its own little pasture in the city. Thanks, KR, for bringing that memory back.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave70 View Post
    Yup, I remember it when I was a kid, the Sanders and Keresge's, Cunningham,s too.. I must have been four or five years when I first remember eating at Milroy's. In the earlier 80s I used to ride my bike to the Keresge's I noticed the neighborhood starting to get bad around then.
    Wasn't there a music instrument store somewhere in this area? My sister took organ lessons there. Was it Grinnels or something to that effect?

dtr, I think there was Civic Music right next to the theater, but I also seem to remember a Grinnell's on the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    dtr, I think there was Civic Music right next to the theater, but I also seem to remember a Grinnell's on the corner.
    I think grinnels was where we bought our organ, I do seem to remember picking her up with my dad near a theater.

let's see...Civic Center..had Civic Music and there were two music stores...one on each corner.Grinnels was for larger instruments and had a small record collection..and the Morales [[i think had sheet music)... Lopos [[ I wa strying to recall the name..and wasn't there a fish store next door for awhile before it became an arcade? I cooked an Milroy's [[first job-real job)..there is a thread in the archives we started years back called civic center...fun stuff... welcome to the eastside.

A little ways away, but Kavan's and Pecar's next door to each other on Morang were two regular stops for me.

I think the music store was called Moreales [[Spelling).
    Remeber Little Louies party store? Across from A&P?
    It was one of the nicest ones I'd ever seen.
    My Mom used to get her hair done at Alma Beauty College sometimes.
    Wish I could get in a time machine, and go back and see it all again.

I don't know much, but it's a fascinating little neighborhood. I know there's still a fire and ambulance station there.

My uncle worked at the Grinnell's there, sometimes as an organ demonstrator, for a few years just before it closed. We didn't live near there, but when I was a kid I used to go to the Civic for movies with my cousins who lived around there and with some friends from my neighborhood who had moved to the area. Always loved the Moderne facade on that place, and remember seeing several weekend matinees double features there with cartoons and everything.

One time, towards the end of the theater's days, we went there with an old friend of mine who was just getting out of the service. The owner or manager was a very nice man who seemed to be the only person working there. He came out of the box office and refunded my friend's admission, because he didn't want to charge a serviceman. He talked to us for awhile, bragging that he had just finished "renovating" the theater. However, when we went to sit down the seats moved and we discovered that the seats were only bolted to the floor at the ends of the rows. Then, right in the middle of the show, a large curtain fell off of one of the side walls with a tremendous crash and covered about a third of the seats on one side of the auditorium, which wasn't a big problem since there were only about a dozen people in the place. The movie played on without interruption and the curtain just laid there.

I lived in the area from 1958-1961 having moved there from the "inner city". Lived on Hayes between Troester and Cedargrove. Big Bear supermarkets got bought out and became Wrigley super markets. Wrigley's was on Hayes near Houston-Whittier across from Guardian Angels school and Higgerson Funeral Home. The area was is good shape then. Moved to the Moross and Chester area in 61. Both these areas were in good shape then.

Buy American Guest

Hi,
    I'm a new poster here.
    Chathams was on 8 Mile and Gratiot.
    The market you may be thinking of was Hayes-Troester Market, on Hayes near Mayfield.

Chatham was at Hayes/Houston Whittier as well as on Woodland and Kelly. The Hayes store was known as #2, and the original Chatham was on Kelly and Washtenaw.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast