Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Tornado Warnings north of Detroit!

TORNADO WARNING
    MIC099-125-200000-
    /O.NEW.KDTX.TO.W.0022.100819T2304Z-100820T0000Z/

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
    TORNADO WARNING
    NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DETROIT/PONTIAC MI
    704 PM EDT THU AUG 19 2010

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN DETROIT/PONTIAC HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...
    MACOMB COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST MICHIGAN...
    EASTERN OAKLAND COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST MICHIGAN...

* UNTIL 800 PM EDT

* AT 703 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A
    SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO. THIS DANGEROUS
    STORM WAS LOCATED NEAR OXFORD...AND MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 40 MPH.

* THIS DANGEROUS STORM WILL BE NEAR...
    STONEY CREEK METRO PARK AND ROCHESTER AROUND 715 PM EDT.
    WASHINGTON AROUND 720 PM EDT.
    SHELBY TOWNSHIP AND UTICA AROUND 725 PM EDT.
    MACOMB TOWNSHIP AND STERLING HEIGHTS AROUND 730 PM EDT.
    CLINTON TOWNSHIP AND MOUNT CLEMENS AROUND 735 PM EDT.

THE WARNING INCLUDES AREAS SURROUNDING THESE LOCATIONS...
    TROY... STERLING HEIGHTS... ROMEO...
    ROCHESTER... PONTIAC... OXFORD...
    MOUNT CLEMENS... MACOMB TOWNSHIP... BIRMINGHAM...
    ARMADA...

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

TAKE COVER NOW. MOVE TO AN INTERIOR ROOM ON THE LOWEST FLOOR OF A
    STURDY BUILDING. AVOID WINDOWS. IF IN A MOBILE HOME...A VEHICLE OR
    OUTDOORS...MOVE TO THE CLOSEST SUBSTANTIAL SHELTER AND PROTECT
    YOURSELF FROM FLYING DEBRIS.

&&

LAT...LON 4256 8278 4254 8331 4278 8336 4289 8328
    4289 8288 4264 8281 4262 8281 4261 8280
    TIME...MOT...LOC 2304Z 314DEG 34KT 4280 8320

$$
    Whoever is in those areas stay safe!

Thanks for the heads up, mtburb. Whoever is up there in those suburbs, bring your laptop with you to the basement [[is that what one does?) and regale us with your thoughts on Detroit this fine evening.

Buy American Guest

Just went through it coming from 9 Mile and Jefferson towards 13 Mile and Jefferson. Some pretty bad lightning and a couple of strikes on 13 Mile. A transformer was lit up pretty good between Jefferson and Harper, no power.
    Got to Gratiot and it was almost as dry as a bone.

LodgeDodger Guest

Not a drop out here in Lurleen & Cletus-ville.

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    Not a drop out here in Lurleen & Cletus-ville.
    You must be holding the binarcullurs the wrong way round again.

Washington Township here. Tornada sirens went off about 7:30, headed for the basement! Lights blinked off a couple of times. Everything seems fine now in my nieghborhood. Don't see any damage like down trees or anything. I'm sort of scared of these things. I got hit by one in 1991. Garage fell on my less-than-one-year-old car! I kept it in there all winter and drove a "beater" to keep the salt off of it. Then wham! Down comes the garage in March. Not much damage to the car miraculously, and the garage wasn't mine. I rented at the time.

Lost power at work [[23 Mile Rd & Van Dyke area) , sent home. Trees and branches down, bark stripped from trees. Flooded streets.
    I would estimate an 80mph wind gust.

Sirens went off in Farmington around 7:00 or so. It was sunny with no sign of storms in that area at all. The area off to the north looked cloudy.

Looking north frome 16 mile road and Garfield saw what was a well defined funnel cloud. Heard there was significant damage around M59 and Hayes road.

Just look at the DTE outage map and you can see the path of destruction

http://www.dteenergy.com/map/outage.html

Quote Originally Posted by yupislyr View Post
    Just look at the DTE outage map and you can see the path of destruction

http://www.dteenergy.com/map/outage.html
    Checked it, appears the most widespread power outage from the storm right now is in southwest Lapeer County. Description:

2563 Customers Affected

Job ID: T10081900411

Estimated Restoration: Fri Aug 20 2010, 11:00 PM - Sat Aug 21 2010, 1:00 AM

Off Since: Thu Aug 19 2010, 6:47 PM

Last Update: Fri Aug 20 2010, 7:40 PM

Cause: Area outage.

2 confirmed tornadoes. One at 22 mile road and Hayes and another at Groesbeck north of 16 mile road.

Nothing here in NE Detroit other than some cloud debris.

When I was around the Eastland vicinity I did see 2 rather nasty cloud to ground lightning stirkes toards the NNE, and we did experience a period with some nice breezes [[outflow boundary?).

The air did have that tornado/storm brewing feel during the morning hours, so personally it wasn't as big of a surprise.

I was at work on Hall Road when the storm was approaching. I saw what would be known as the EF1 tornado that touched down around 22 and hayes fizzle out. The area where I live was hit badly by the storm, which is roughly at 22 and Hayes. Roofs of houses and businesses were torn off and downed trees and power lines everywhere you look. The most damage I saw occurred along hayes between Hall Road and 21 mile. At the Lifetime Fitness, over 50 percent of the trees were snapped right in half. We just got our power back almost 48 hours later. It has been a rough time battling the power outage and the damage around. I can't imagine how terrible it would be to experience an even stronger tornado.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Nothing here in NE Detroit other than some cloud debris.
    Sounds like the way it usually went when I lived in that area. Warnings of storms all evening, and then the bad stuff would always just sort of gravitate to Washtenaw or Shiawassee County [[for some reason those two counties were the Oklahomas of Michigan!!!!) and we'd get nothing but clouds and wind and a little drizzle. Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
    Sounds like the way it usually went when I lived in that area. Warnings of storms all evening, and then the bad stuff would always just sort of gravitate to Washtenaw or Shiawassee County [[for some reason those two counties were the Oklahomas of Michigan!!!!) and we'd get nothing but clouds and wind and a little drizzle. Maybe.
    If I recall correctly, the NE part of Wayne County and the SE part of Macomb County have the lowest point of elevation in the entire Metro area, so they're much always under the effects of downsloping [[Iand when they're not under the effects of downsloping, they're under a lake shadow).

Probably the only exception is when lake breeze boundary sets up just right in these areas [[or there's significant forcing). I remeber two days in a row last summer thunderstorms develop in these areas [[from lake breeze convergence) and sat there for a good 1-3 hours just pouring rain [[of course, it was like Florida, the thunderstorm died off at night and the skies cleared, then it quickly re-developed as the sun heated up the atmosphere again). While most of the metro area saw little if any rain, SE Macomb/NE Wayne saw 3-5" of rain total in those two days. Fortunately the air wasn't particularly moist so the thunderstorms didn't produce as much rain as it could have.