Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default This won't end well

Native Americans plan Detroit River canoe crossing

DETROIT [[AP) -- Native Americans from the U.S. and Canada plan to cross the Detroit River between Michigan and Ontario in a flotilla of canoes that could halt shipping.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

Alright, if yo click on the link, you'll find a story about a plan for a flotilla of 200 canoes to paddle from Belle Isle to Canada and back. I figure with 2 people per canoe, they are going to need at least 400 people.

The problem I see is that there is one heck of a current in that part of the river and to accomplish such a feat one wold have to be in pretty good shape. Not touch-football on the weekend shape, but half-marathon shape.

Now, maybe you can find a few folks who are in that kind of condition. Maybe a couple of hundred of folks could fit the bill, but that would be from polling the entire populace. white folk, black folk, asian, etc.

But with first nation people comprising a few thousand folks at best, I fear the canoes will be filled with future cpr candidates. I don't really see them pulling in 400 buff indians to pull this off.

Maybe I'm way off here, maybe I don't know enough about the local tribes and their fitness levels, but I just don't see this having a happy ending.

What you do is start well upriver from Belle Isle and head straight across the river and let the current carry you down to Belle Isle. Going back, you head for Windsor and end up well downstream. You don't fight the current, you just keep paddling 90 degrees to the river shore over and back

You're probably right. There'll be like 13 canoes, and 7 will drift down to Toledo!

Maybe they'll have motors. The article doesn't say.

That can get tricky though. The wind can fight you too if your load isn't level.

Perhaps a strong, athletic "scout" will cross first and attach a guide line.

Quote Originally Posted by fryar View Post
    You're probably right. There'll be like 13 canoes, and 7 will drift down to Toledo!
    I predict Ohio will promptly surrender.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    I predict they'll offer up Toledo, if we give up the UP ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    So will France

Quote Originally Posted by Savoyard View Post
    I predict they'll offer up Toledo, if we give up the UP ...
    That would be sweet, I could live in Michigan again without having to move.

General Tressell's troops had fought bravely for many years, enjoying a competitive advantage. Michigan selected a new president however, and Brandon could decide to relieve General Rodriguez of his command, resurrecting hope in the Michigan war effort.

They'll need motors. LOL! The Detroit river has a fast under current. Indeed it is not actually a river, it's a 'straight' connecting lakes St. Clair and Erie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Maybe they'll have motors. The article doesn't say.

That can get tricky though. The wind can fight you too if your load isn't level.

This happens all the time along the St Clair, with crossings to and from Walpole, ganted it is a bit shorter of a distance, but there is no issue, and the canoes go back fully loaded. Its the right of the first nation to be able to do this. Now if they were trying to canoe upstream from Boblo to Belle Isle you may get some tired folks, but this really is not that big of a deal.

Hopefully the frieghters won't be oout at that time!

lilpup Guest

a river can be a strait though not all straits are rivers [[rivers have a flowthrough current, straits don't have to have a discernible current)

The freestream current of the river is around 4 knots. That's manageable for fit paddlers not working against a stiff wind.

I only pray that the natives were life-jackets because history has showed that anyone who falls in the Detroit River not wearing a flotation device don't come out of the water alive.

Sometimes when I walk on the Riverwalk by the Rencen I see a guy in a kayak going down stream. Then like 40 minutes latter I see him going up stream on the Windsor side. I know anything can happen but most of the time you're fine if you know what you are doing.

lilpup Guest

Honestly, barring really bad weather, the biggest risk on the river you have to watch for is yahoos with jet skis or power boats.

There's going to be a two day Native American powwow at Lincoln Park playfield at River Dr. They would settle at a historical site called Council Point where Chief Pontiac issue a war council meeting with other Native Americans to stage a Battle of Fort Detroit from the Brittish during the French Indian War.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    There's going to be a two day Native American powwow at Lincoln Park playfield at River Dr. They would settle at a historical site called Council Point where Chief Pontiac issue a war council meeting with other Native Americans to stage a Battle of Fort Detroit from the Brittish during the French Indian War.
    Danny can I bring my canoe and ride up and down the Ecorse River in it?

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    Honestly, barring really bad weather, the biggest risk on the river you have to watch for is yahoos with jet skis or power boats.
    I kayak from Belle Ilse to Peche Island at least twice a week. It's a pleasant 40 min. trip. Canoes are more stable and powered by two so I would imagine it's a bit easier. I totally concur with lilpup.

I haven't been on the Detroit River, but did paddle across the St. Mary's including crossing the shipping channel. The canoe rides high enough the current isn't too strong for two paddlers. Make sure the heavier of the two is in back.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Make sure the heavier of the two is in back.
    Good point. It's funny how many people don't understand that. I guess they think the big guy should be up front steering but a canoe is different. It's driven by the back seat driver.

Quote Originally Posted by larrym View Post
    So will France [[surrender)
    They already did. Memories of the French-Indian war. Why risk it?
    Last edited by Savoyard; August-20-10 at 05:48 PM.

Not only that, but it steers a lot easier if the front end is even with or higher than the back end.

Huron-Clinton Metroparks - Voyageur Canoe at Stony Creek

Ironic that it's moored in a manufactured lake.

Strong winds are far more troubling in a canoe than currents.
    I have paddled straight upstream in big rivers...it's work, but
    no real 'workout'.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast