Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AFB Relocating

Default AFB Relocating

From today's Freep/Metromix:

The 3,000-square-foot bar at the corner of Park and Henry in Detroit won't be around much longer - at least not in its present form.

If the name sounds familiar but the location doesn’t seem right, it’s because
    AFB was first established at Seven Mile and Woodward where it drew in patrons from 1992 to 1996 before shutting its doors when one of the original owners died.

“Everybody went there,” said Mugianis, who was an owner in the original bar. “Sports figures, musicians. Everybody like it – the name, the cutting edge.”

AFB opened quietly about 10 months ago, just two blocks from Comerica Park in the former 2500 Club location. But come Saturday, it will be on “temporary hiatus,” says operations director George Mugianis, thanks to a landlord that bought the bar out.

Mugianis doesn't know where AFB will go next, but he says it will remain in Detroit.He and his partners, David Lamarche and Josh Baker, are looking for a space in the area with “a cool vibe.”

I'm really going to miss this place, especially in its current location [[I live in Brush Park). Anybody have an inside scoop on where the new location might be and how long it will take before they reopen? Or maybe just rampant speculation about vacant spaces that would be a good fit for the third iteration of AFB?

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Waymooreland View Post
    From today's Freep/Metromix:

The 3,000-square-foot bar at the corner of Park and Henry in Detroit won't be around much longer - at least not in its present form.

If the name sounds familiar but the location doesn’t seem right, it’s because AFB was first established at Seven Mile and Woodward where it drew in patrons from 1992 to 1996 before shutting its doors when one of the original owners died.

“Everybody went there,” said Mugianis, who was an owner in the original bar. “Sports figures, musicians. Everybody like it – the name, the cutting edge.”

AFB opened quietly about 10 months ago, just two blocks from Comerica Park in the former 2500 Club location. But come Saturday, it will be on “temporary hiatus,” says operations director George Mugianis, thanks to a landlord that bought the bar out.

Mugianis doesn't know where AFB will go next, but he says it will remain in Detroit.He and his partners, David Lamarche and Josh Baker, are looking for a space in the area with “a cool vibe.”

I'm really going to miss this place, especially in its current location [[I live in Brush Park). Anybody have an inside scoop on where the new location might be and how long it will take before they reopen? Or maybe just rampant speculation about vacant spaces that would be a good fit for the third iteration of AFB?
    A landlord that bought the bar out? Illitch buying the bar from the landlord, perhaps?

The location is right in the middle of Ilitch territory. Wouldn't be shocked if this is one of those land sales that has happened over the last few months... I know the city owns the land across Henry, but that block is privately owned. Ilitch is about the only person who would "buy out" a tenant, and it makes more sense if the land was just bought by them.

It sure does sound like another hint that the new arena will be at the corner of Woodward and I-75...

It sure does sound like another hint that the new arena will be at the corner of Woodward and I-75...
    Yeah, I don't see any way in hell that the "landlord" isn't Ilitch.

Was in there two nights ago and tried to get the bartender to fill me in on where they were relocating, but she said nobody knew at this point. Or, at least she didn't know. I hope they stay downtown.

Rumor has it that the Comet Bar and the cab company across the street have also been bought out and will be closing or relocating. Rumor also has Ilitch all over it.

If he owned it, Mike would never have allowed a competitor to open there in the first place.

All this speculation about AFB, Illitch, the Comet, the new stadium, etc, etc. We're in a terrible economy. AFB likely may have had problems with business and cash flow. Every time I was there, admittedly only a handful of times, the place was not doing much business. Before everyone goes off half-cocked, this isn't a criticism of AFB. It was a cool place. They may have made a business decision to move elsewhere, or to just put the bar on hold for a while. Probably a wise decision on their part. I wish them well whatever and wherever.

DC48080 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    All this speculation about AFB, Illitch, the Comet, the new stadium, etc, etc. We're in a terrible economy. AFB likely may have had problems with business and cash flow. Every time I was there, admittedly only a handful of times, the place was not doing much business. Before everyone goes off half-cocked, this isn't a criticism of AFB. It was a cool place. They may have made a business decision to move elsewhere, or to just put the bar on hold for a while. Probably a wise decision on their part. I wish them well whatever and wherever.
    Come on Skipper, everybody knows that one of the hallmarks of DetroitYes is to look for an Ilitch or a Maroun around every corner whenever something doesn't go to one's liking.

Was AFB formerly the 2500 Club?

Quote Originally Posted by DC48080 View Post
    Come on Skipper, everybody knows that one of the hallmarks of DetroitYes is to look for an Ilitch or a Maroun around every corner whenever something doesn't go to one's liking.
    You're correct. And I'm usually leading the charge on that front.

DC48080 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    From what I understand, yes, it was.

It had so many incarnations in the last 15 years, I don't know what in the hell the previous name or theme was. Every time I walked in the place it had become something else: a lesbian bar, a punk bar, a goth bar, blah, blah, blah. I always knew it as the Park-Henry Bar.

Yes, prior to that it was the Park Henry.

Considering that they said they were "bought out," I don't think that they were doing that bad... nobody's is going to buy a company out of their lease if they are failing. While it could have helped the business decision, when a landlord offers to buy you out, there isn't a whole lot to do or say.

Dabirch Guest

Quote Originally Posted by esp1986 View Post
    Considering that they said they were "bought out," I don't think that they were doing that bad... nobody's is going to buy a company out of their lease if they are failing. While it could have helped the business decision, when a landlord offers to buy you out, there isn't a whole lot to do or say.
    well, if your business is going well, you can say "no" and keep running your business until your lease expires.

This probably means the end of Henry Street. Oh, well. I got to see it while it was there. The 2500 Club, the old Comet Bar with Christmas in July, and some interesting memories of sometimes driving backward to navigate all those one-way streets. I was there ...

Quote Originally Posted by Dabirch View Post
    well, if your business is going well, you can say "no" and keep running your business until your lease expires.
    Absolutely, but everyman has his price. It is not, however, like he up and decided to close the bar, he was in fact, bought out.

I tried to go there once and the place was locked up tight. I emailed them about their operating hours, got clarification and tried to go again [[with my scooter club buddies one Sunday afternoon) and again, no signs of life. Too bad, I heard good things. The Comet was open though, so we went there. Charming.

AFB had to learn there is always another AFB down the street. Irregular hours, somewhat inept service, perhaps they learned when the registers went dry.

Dabirch Guest

Quote Originally Posted by esp1986 View Post
    Absolutely, but everyman has his price. It is not, however, like he up and decided to close the bar, he was in fact, bought out.
    you said this:

when a landlord offers to buy you out, there isn't a whole lot to do or say.

I offered you another path. What does your reply have to do with the conversation?

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post
    AFB had to learn there is always another AFB down the street. Irregular hours, somewhat inept service, perhaps they learned when the registers went dry.

Where in the quote did it say that AFB was loosing money? Some people who reponded to this post clearly didn't understand the quote, such as "was AFB formerly the 2500 Club? " Also, there is nothing like AFB in the downtown area, it is a unique place. They are probably open as much or longer than any bar downtown, you just have to know when to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Dabirch View Post
    you said this:

when a landlord offers to buy you out, there isn't a whole lot to do or say.

I offered you another path. What does your reply have to do with the conversation?
    You take it or leave it. They could have stayed, but with more than enough other possible locations in town, it is not a surprise they took it. Not only did they not have to pay anymore rent, but they now have money to cover their moving expenses should they choose to open up shop elsewhere. Perhaps my previous statement contained a poor choice of words, but this should clarify. It is not a bad deal, considering they will have to move anyway, may as well get some money for doing it, rather than waiting until the end of the lease and getting nothing.

The key to this whole speculation/debate is how long it takes AFB to find another location and re-open. If the situation is as it's presented by the AFB partners/owners, they should be re-opened and operating in a few months. There's no shortage of rental spaces should they actually be seeking another space. Time will tell.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast