Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Springwells

Default Springwells

After a couple of bike rides through the area and some touring on Google street view, it looks to me as if the Springwells neighborhood [[the area encompassed by Dix on the North, Fort on the South, Woodmere on the West, and Waterman on the East) is one of Detroit's most densely populated areas. The place resembles Hamtramck to a degree. Does anyone on the forum live in this area? If so, how is life in that area? Can anyone explain why it is in such good condition compared to the adjacent Delray area?

littlebuddy Guest

Wasn't the Fisherbody Fleetwood plant there at one time and is gone now? You would have thought that the area would have taken a bad hit.

DetroitPole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by boogiechillen View Post
    After a couple of bike rides through the area and some touring on Google street view, it looks to me as if the Springwells neighborhood [[the area encompassed by Dix on the North, Fort on the South, Woodmere on the West, and Waterman on the East) is one of Detroit's most densely populated areas. The place resembles Hamtramck to a degree. Does anyone on the forum live in this area? If so, how is life in that area? Can anyone explain why it is in such good condition compared to the adjacent Delray area?
    I'm surprised no one has responded here. No Southwest Detroiters here?

Anyway, Rashida Tlaib lives in Springwells so it has to be kind of okay

I lived in the general vicinity, though not Springwells, but I second your assessment of it.

I'm pretty sure a lot of the problems of Delray have a lot to do with the high amount of heavy industry in the area. The place literally stinks.

Springwells also has benefited from the high Hispanic immigrant population replacing the former residents who have either died or moved. I think that is where the Hamtramck analogy holds a lot of water. Like Hamtramck, new working-class immigrants have kept the population relatively stable. It has also been one of the better-integrated areas of Detroit, with a mix of blacks, southern whites, Poles, and other Southern and Eastern European immigrants.

That said, though not Delray, Springwells has some of the highest-polluted zip codes in the state. There is also the ever-present Detroit crime problem, compounded with gang activity.

It is also a very walkable neighborhood. The small streets full of retail undoubtedly help the area.
    Last edited by DetroitPole; August-20-10 at 10:01 AM.