Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Biking the D

Default Biking the D

Wondering how many people jump on their bikes and cruise the city on the weekends. I started about 5 years ago and it really has changed the perception of the city to me and many suburban brats that I have dragged there with me.

Two weekends ago, I brought some of my friends down from Rochester Hills. I showed them Campus Martius Park, which they were very surprised to see a park that nice in the heart of the city.

Stopped at Guardian Building for the Pure Detroit shop, which some of my friends picked up some Detroit T-shirts. They said "this was the most beautiful lobby they have every seen in the world, [[some have been to Paris and Rome and still said it was extremely beautiful)

Rode down to the Riverfront, stopped at Rivard Plaza and had something to drink and one of my friends stated "Wow, I though Detroit was some desolate place....but this Riverfront is amazing!"

Next, we rode our bike through Greektown and stopped at Golden Fleece, which the food was amazing, like usual.

Lastly, stopped at the Inside Detroit Welcome Center, where they each picked up a map of the city and some other brochures.

It was really rewarding to see a few people from the suburbs change their perception of the city for the better! [[Already planning our next trip to "the D"

The best trip I had was when I took my parents down there a few years ago [[Brush Park,Boston Edison, and Woodbridge areas) and showed them a different view of the city. Kind of a "I told you so" since I had been spoon fed a negative attitude toward the city by them while I grew up. The student becomes the teacher lol.

One result of decades of human and business flight is that Detroit is a great city for bicycling, and more and more people seem to be catching on. Toby Barlow wrote about it for the New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/05/op...rlow.html?_r=1
    Sunday mornings are the best: Virtually no traffic on those wide main boulevards, and you can glide down the side streets and really get a feel for neighborhoods as you smell cooking, look into backyards and hear music coming from windows. There certainly is plenty to see. I've been cycling in Detroit since childhood, and enjoying it more all the time.

I love biking in the city, probably one of my absolute favorite things abut living here. Its maybe the most biker friendly city when it comes to traffic...or lack there of.

Kudos to you French and Bizzdo for showing off the city in a good way to the narrow minded. All you need to do is have a good experience or two in the city to chance the attitude of the region. Too many people have just simply written off Detroit and will not give it a chance unless someone pulls them out of that mindset. It's really the difference in a para-dime shift or the same old fear mongering we're all so used to.

Detroit was an easy place to ride a bicycle back when I lived there in the 1970s and 1980s. From the approximate location indicated by my screen name, I cycled to locations such as Kensington Metropark or Saint Clare Shores using primarily main arteries or side streets. In the DC metro area, where I presently live, using main arteries is more problematic. One has to fall back on the areas well developed trails. IMHO, the Detroit area could use a trail that follows the Rouge watershed all the way to Zug Island. That trail could tie into one that goes along the Detroit River. Anyhow, it is good to see some cyclists showing a whole new perspective of how to see a city.

I love biking in the city. My boyfriend and I go on several bike rides a year on the east side. I agree with Bizzdo - biking gives you a totally different perspective on the city. I've learned my way around my surrounding neighborhoods better because I've biked all around [[which helps when the freeway is backed up and I want to get off at any random exit and take side streets instead).

We've never been bothered by any people, but we get chased by stray dogs frequently, especially on Russel St near Warren or Grand Blvd. One time I came very close to getting pulled off my bike by two German Shepherds. We always bring some sort of self-defense with us [[I bring pepper spray, he carries a retractable baton). It's pretty easy to out-bike the dogs, so long as you see them coming.

The farthest we ever rode was Hamtramck to Ferndale, via Woodward. I'll never do that again. Before the summer is over I'd like to take Fort St. from downtown to the Fort St. Brewery in Lincoln Park.

Melody: Fort Street in Detroit is a good biking street. The surrounding landscape is a little grim, but other than some Ambassador Bridge truck traffic, it's pretty smooth sailing. I've never ridden on Fort beyond the city limits.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickford-Bentler View Post
    IMHO, the Detroit area could use a trail that follows the Rouge watershed all the way to Zug Island. That trail could tie into one that goes along the Detroit River. Anyhow, it is good to see some cyclists showing a whole new perspective of how to see a city.
    You mean like the already planned and partially implemented Southwest Detroit/Dearborn Greenway [[Rouge River Gateway Link)
    http://www.michigantrails.org/projec...troit-greenway
    http://208.112.94.121/resource/attach/40/map.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    You mean like the already planned and partially implemented Southwest Detroit/Dearborn Greenway [[Rouge River Gateway Link)
    http://www.michigantrails.org/projec...troit-greenway
    http://208.112.94.121/resource/attach/40/map.pdf

Excellent

Quote Originally Posted by Bizzdo View Post
    I started about 5 years ago and it really has changed the perception of the city to me and many suburban brats that I have dragged there with me.
    I have had the same experience of going on bike rides with suburban friends and totally blowing their minds. No one ever has a bad time.

Cycling is the best way to gain intimate knowledge of the city. You're more likely to stop and check out the curiosities that abound than when you are cruising in a car.

Default Wayne State to Eastern Market?

In the Fall, well 8 days from now, I will be moving down to Wayne State. Is the route from WSU to Eastern Market good? Or is it better to bike down Woodward Ave to the riverfront and then up the D. Cut?

Quote Originally Posted by French777 View Post
    In the Fall, well 8 days from now, I will be moving down to Wayne State. Is the route from WSU to Eastern Market good? Or is it better to bike down Woodward Ave to the riverfront and then up the D. Cut?
    What do you mean by good? John R or Brush to Mack Ave. would be the quickest and travels past the DMC hospitals.

Woodward to the riverfront to the D cut is at least twice the distance. A great ride for a nice day, but out of the.way if you're shopping at Eastern market.

detroitjim Guest

Oh Yeah .... you all will get a different perspective of Detroit when some LL clocks you over the heyadd sos theys can makes awf wiff cho buy-ike!

Quote Originally Posted by detroitjim View Post
    Oh Yeah .... you all will get a different perspective of Detroit when some LL clocks you over the heyadd sos theys can makes awf wiff cho buy-ike!

If you wear a helmet this won't be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Melody View Post
    We've never been bothered by any people, but we get chased by stray dogs frequently, especially on Russel St near Warren or Grand Blvd. One time I came very close to getting pulled off my bike by two German Shepherds. We always bring some sort of self-defense with us [[I bring pepper spray, he carries a retractable baton).
    That sounds like good advice, actually. I know lots of people like to talk about crime in Detroit, but I really do mean because of the dogs. I don't have anything against dogs [[well, maybe the kind that slobbers a lot), but I could see where the urban prairie areas have some wild dogs, former pets of people who got evicted and could not keep them in their new rental unit. I can just see myself enjoying a ride through some quiet neighborhood with hardly any traffic on a pretty wide road, and suddenly, not having planned for this, finding myself in an empty neighborhood, with a pack of rabid dogs chasing me. Not what I had in mind, but the trouble is, I don't plan.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitjim View Post
    Not likely. He or she would have to have pretty good aim, since the victim is riding his or her bicycle.

EastSider Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fryar View Post
    That sounds like good advice, actually. I know lots of people like to talk about crime in Detroit, but I really do mean because of the dogs. I don't have anything against dogs [[well, maybe the kind that slobbers a lot), but I could see where the urban prairie areas have some wild dogs, former pets of people who got evicted and could not keep them in their new rental unit. I can just see myself enjoying a ride through some quiet neighborhood with hardly any traffic on a pretty wide road, and suddenly, not having planned for this, finding myself in an empty neighborhood, with a pack of rabid dogs chasing me. Not what I had in mind, but the trouble is, I don't plan.

Not likely. He or she would have to have pretty good aim, since the victim is riding his or her bicycle.
    I heard about a guy who got chased once seven times by ghetto dogs. And some dead k[[c)rack heads were there, too. With Casios.