Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Congresswoman Kilpatrick receives A

I don't have time to comment on this at the moment. I'll leave it to the rest of you, for now.

Congresswoman Kilpatrick Receives “A” on Middle Class ScorecardLawmaker Receives High Marks for Efforts to Strengthen and Support
    America’s Middle Class Families
    Detroit, MI — Congresswoman Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick [[MI-13) earned an “A” on the Drum Major Institute for Public Policy’s [[DMI) 2008 Middle Class Congressional Scorecard, an analysis of legislation that impacts Americans’ ability to reach and maintain a “middle class standard of living.” The Congresswoman was recognized for her support of measures aimed at strengthening middle class families by creating jobs, increasing energy independence, promoting tax fairness, and making health care, housing, and higher education affordable. This is the fifth consecutive year Congresswoman Kilpatrick has earned an “A “on the scorecard.
    “It is an honor to receive this ‘A’ rating from the Drum Major Institute for Public Policy,” said Congresswoman Kilpatrick. “During these difficult economic times, families in Michigan’s 13th District, throughout the state of Michigan, and across America are struggling to manage their household expenses. They are working hard to hold on to their jobs, stay in their homes, and meet the needs of their children. I will continue working to make sure that America’s families have access to the resources and support they need.”
    “Middle class means more than middle income, which is why we look closely at how members of Congress vote on education, healthcare, economic security, and other issues that directly impact a middle-class standard of living,” said Dan Morris, Director of Communications at the Drum Major Institute for Public Policy. “Congresswoman Kilpatrick’s voting record in 2008 shows strong and consistent support for a middle class policy agenda as we define it. That’s why she received an ‘A’ on our scorecard.”
    The Drum Major Institute for Public Policy is a non-partisan, non-profit organization widely recognized as America’s middle-class think tank. From releasing nationally recognized studies of the middle class to showcasing progressive policies that have worked to advance social and economic justice, DMI has been on the leading edge of the public policy debate. To review the complete MiddleClass.org 2008 Congressional Scorecard, visit www.TheMiddleClass.org.

9mile&seneca Guest

"Families"?

My only comment is this. One needs to separate the mother from the son. CCK needs to be evaluated on HER legislative ability and not on what her son did.

Default ok so

I could give CCK an A++ on the Hamtown Major Public Policy scorecard as well. Just saying the award is only as prestigious as the institution granting it.

Wasn't aware Moroun was considered middle class.

Retroit Guest

How come no one ever talks about helping the Lower Class?

I think that she did our area a disservice when she was the only congressional democrat in Michigan not to support Dingell as head of the Commerce Committee. Of course, like her son and ex-husband, I'm sure that her first interest is "the people."

Anyone know why she left the transportation appropriations committee to be on the Homeland Security committee?

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...UB01/901190337

I wonder if it was to provide earmarks to friends and family:

http://www.legistorm.com/earmark/2407.html

Isn't Derrick Miller accused of misappropirating Homeland Security money?

I wish that whole family would just go away.

I was waiting to read the full headline as

Congresswoman Kilpatrick receives A ... million dollar donation from Matty Moroun.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    How come no one ever talks about helping the Lower Class?
    Helping the lower class is politically unpopular. For some reason, everybody in America has this pervasive image of poor people as fat, lazy welfare queens who don't deserve any help. "Middle class" is something people can identify with. There's no shame in being "middle class."

9mile&seneca Guest

Bearinabox ,when you control the definitions of words...in this time in which we exist, a "responsible parent" walks her 3 kids by 2 or 3 different fathers to school.And then there's "earned income credit". Know how ya earns it? I sure obviously don't.

"earned income credit"

I'd always heard that refered to as "unearned income credit".