Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default 92 Lowest Achieving Schools Identified...

Click Link to see actual list of schools.

http://www.michigan.gov/mde/0,1607,7...2163--,00.html

92 Lowest Achieving Schools Identified; and Latest "Top-to-Bottom" School Rankings Released

August 16, 2010 Ninety-two schools identified by state law as the Persistently Lowest Achieving Schools will be required to develop Redesign Plans approved by the newly-formed State School Reform/Redesign Office in the Michigan Department of Education, or risk being placed in a statewide School Reform District.

The Michigan Department of Education released today the most up-to-date "Top-to-Bottom" ranking of all schools, based on a federally-approved measure of student achievement and academic growth over the past four years.

The Top-to-Bottom ranking list was developed using student testing data for math and reading on the MEAP and Michigan Merit Exam from the 2006-07 through 2009-10 school years.

"The lowest performing schools in the state are in distress," said state Superintendent of Public Instruction Mike Flanagan. "Students in these schools are not receiving the education they need and deserve. That has to change and we will work together to bring about that change."

Flanagan explained that Michigan needs every school to succeed and work at putting in place instructional strategies that will raise student achievement.

"Even some of our higher ranked schools are not adequately preparing students for the next level, and ultimately - college and career," Flanagan said. "We need to improve outcomes for all students across the state, but most especially in our lowest ranked schools."

As required by state law, the 92 schools on this Persistently Lowest Achieving list were identified using the federally-prescribed and federally-approved formula used for the federal School Improvement Grant. That formula considers student proficiency levels, academic improvement rates; whether a school made Adequate Yearly Progress; and whether a secondary school had a graduation rate below 60 percent.
    Districts with schools on the Persistently Lowest Achieving Schools list must submit a Redesign Plan to the Michigan Department of Education's School Reform Officer by November 16, using one of four improvement models required by the U.S. Department of Education. Schools may begin to implement their Redesign Plans immediately, but must begin implementing them no later than the 2011-12 school year.

The four federally-required school improvement models from which the schools must select, are:

Transformational Model- Districts would address four specific areas: 1) developing teacher and school leader effectiveness, which includes replacing the principal who led the school prior to commencement of the transformational model; 2) implementing comprehensive instructional reform strategies; 3) extending learning and teacher planning time and creating community-oriented schools; and 4) providing operating flexibility and sustained support.

Turnaround Model- This would include among other actions, replacing the principal and at least 50 percent of the school's staff, adopting a new governance structure and implementing a new or revised instructional program.

Restart Model- School districts would close the school and reopen it under the management of a charter school operator; a charter management organization; or an educational management organization selected through a rigorous review process. A restart school would be required to enroll, within the grades it serves, any former student who wishes to attend.

School Closure- The district would close a failing school and enroll the students who attended that school in other high-achieving schools in the district.

For more detail, including the 2010 Top-to-Bottom ranking for all school buildings in Michigan and Frequently Asked Questions; go to www.michigan.gov/mde-reform.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-16-10 at 11:23 PM.

I can hear my Step Dad and my Father if he we still alive." That Northwestern was bad when I went there". That was back in the 40's. I had heard that Inkster High was a good school now with the new guy in charge, But as things go can't belive everything you hear.

Quote Originally Posted by reddog289 View Post
    I can hear my Step Dad and my Father if he we still alive." That Northwestern was bad when I went there". That was back in the 40's. I had heard that Inkster High was a good school now with the new guy in charge, But as things go can't belive everything you hear.
    That new guy went to Pontiac at least a couple of years ago and the Inkster schools have stuggled ever since.

Gee, Cooley beat out many of the schools on the list in Detroit yet it still closed [[moving up 21 spots in the ranking from 2009). Most of the schools in Detroit [[high schools) are now Priority Schools with the Turnaround Model going into place. While I like what I hear about the Priority School model, we'll see if DPS gives it time to work.