Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Eddystone Hotel

Default Eddystone Hotel

I saw some activity at the Eddystone when I was drivng by today. I saw several security guards as well as a side door with people going in and out so I stopped and asked. I was told that they are bricking up the windows on the lower floors just like the Harbor Light Center is.
    Last edited by DetroitZack; August-16-10 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitZack View Post
    I saw some activity at the Eddystone when I was drivng by today. I saw several security guards as well as a side door with people going in and out so I stopped and asked. I was told that they are bricking up the windows on the lower floors just like the Harbor Ligth Center is.
    That's not exactly good news... bricking up the windows pretty much means that they aren't going to be doing much with it, at least anytime soon... I believe this is one of the properties that was sold recently under a confidentiality agreement, possibly to the Ilitches... that said, there is every possibility that this site is targeted for that new arena we keep hearing about... this is likely just to minimize the risks of the building until they have a plan in place for an arena before they tear it down... i think that if they just tear it down, there will be a big uproar, ala madison lennox hotel... but if they wait until they can say, "the arena's going here" they can avoid a little bit of that criticism... no matter how you look at it though, I can't imagine somebody would brick up the windows if they were ever planning to redevelop the property.

Quote Originally Posted by esp1986 View Post
    I can't imagine somebody would brick up the windows if they were ever planning to redevelop the property.
    Why not? Bricking up the bottom floors means they want to keep people out. I think this means it is more likely to be redeveloped. If they were just going to tear it down, why would it matter about having it exposed to the street?

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    Why not? Bricking up the bottom floors means they want to keep people out. I think this means it is more likely to be redeveloped. If they were just going to tear it down, why would it matter about having it exposed to the street?
    It's all about insurance liability and keeping urban explorers out. The madison Lenox had it's doors and windows bricked up for years before it was torn down.

The property just got refinanced a few months back. It's pretty far gone on the inside, but it makes sense to try and keep it from getting worse. The sheer number of homeless that pass through that area...

I would rather see the place bricked up and secured vs being open to trespass and torched one night or finding some guy feet up face down in a frozen water filled elevator shaft next spring.

There are a lot of ways to keep people out. Bricking, unfortunately, is semi permanent and can damage what is there if it is ever removed. That building has beautiful brickwork, and to damage it by bricking any of the openings in it would be a disappointment... I just can't see anyone bricking that up with the intention of future rehabilitation.

I could be mistaken, but I think it has been bricked up before. I had thought they were sealed up a couple years ago, but they keep getting ripped open.

Bricking up the building WILL NOT damage it unless people vandalize it. That includes scrappers taking sledge hammers or treating old vehicles as battering rams to knock them down. What's built can easily be removed with a concrete saw and the excess scraped away.

I'd rather see bricks and steel shutters than the typical old fashioned method of using plywood which will last about 10 days.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    Bricking up the building WILL NOT damage it unless people vandalize it. That includes scrappers taking sledge hammers or treating old vehicles as battering rams to knock them down. What's built can easily be removed with a concrete saw and the excess scraped away.

I'd rather see bricks and steel shutters than the typical old fashioned method of using plywood which will last about 10 days.
    Agree with you, there. Bricking the windows is a hopeful sign to me. It will be restored, some day. They're bother to make that extra expense; that means something. When it's too far gone, it's almost too late, or at least so much more expensive. [[See the discussion on the Vantiy Ballroom.)

RE: smash-and-grab type crimes, cement posts set in lengths just short of the width of a vehicle have eliminated this problem in businesses set close to streets without front parking lots. All they end up doing is wrecking the car. The pillars not as unsightly as you may think. They could look like Grecian columns or obelisks. In an old Victorian-era neighborhood in Colorado [[I think), I saw brown colored concrete textured to look like wood and a brass ring set in, as if it were a hitching post.

I do believe the Ilitch's own this building... and maybe... just maybe... they learned a lesson on the United Artists Building/Theatre.... if you want to keep it around for future use and keep scrapers out... use something besides plywood.....

Concrete blocks on the lower floor windows and doors means one thing to me - Ilitch. That building will sit untill he decides to move on it.

If the new JLA/Pistons arena was built in this area, the Eddystone & former Park Ave Hotel/Harbor Lights Ctr would make nice complementary condo/hotel developments for the arena.

This Ilitch fellow seems to be close to having a monopoly when it comes to Detroit real estate.

Yep. Bricking seems to be a good defense against the ever-vigilant 'scrappers'. They tear off plywood like its tissue paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Yep. Bricking seems to be a good defense against the ever-vigilant 'scrappers'. They tear off plywood like its tissue paper.

How much do they even make from scrapping from the average home or building anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    If the new JLA/Pistons arena was built in this area, the Eddystone & former Park Ave Hotel/Harbor Lights Ctr would make nice complementary condo/hotel developments for the arena.
    Definitely agree

It's really hard to say... At the large end of the industry someone is buying this stuff wholesale with a huge lot of stolen/ scrapped stuff. Brass fixtures have always been popular.
    Quote Originally Posted by papillonaquatique View Post
    How much do they even make from scrapping from the average home or building anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    If you ask Mr. I, it may make a nice location for a parking garage... if the Ilitches do, in fact, own these buildings, I don't see any way in hell that they turn them into condos... If they own them, I would be shocked if they didn't eventually come down. Condos and residential real estate is not the business that the Ilitches are in. They are in Pizza and Sports/Entertainment. I truly believe that this is the reason that the Madision Lennox came down. The costs and inexperience, out weighed the benefits, especially considering they had an analysis done and even had plans drawn up for a restoration by the Kraemer Design Group [[the plans are still on that company's website). You don't go to that trouble if you know you are going to tear it down. But at the end of the day, it wasn't the Ilitches business and it was too big of a risk. I think this will be the same case. They will "market it for redevelopment" ala the UA as if they are trying. I really hope the Ilitches don't own it for this reason, because I think that would be awesome to have condos in close proximity to a new arena, but I just don't see it happening if it is the Ilitches.

The Eddystone Hotel was sold last Thursday/Friday. Closing took place on Thursday, deal funded on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    The Eddystone Hotel was sold last Thursday/Friday. Closing took place on Thursday, deal funded on Friday.
    Well that's news to me. I thought it sold a few months ago when that article appeared in the DetNews about the mysterious real estate purchases in Lower Cass. Any more details, please?

Sorry, but I can't release any details. Keep your eyes on the newspapers and Crain's.

I think the prior articles were in regards to the signing of purchase agreements only. Sold isn't sold until it closes.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    Sorry, but I can't release any details. Keep your eyes on the newspapers and Crain's.

I think the prior articles were in regards to the signing of purchase agreements only. Sold isn't sold until it closes.

Can you tell whether or not the plans call for demolition or refurbishment/ renovation...

I have no knowledge of the purchaser's future plans.

Hopefully they two buildings can be renovated into apartments or condos and a new bridge for Park Ave, so to connect to the growing entertainment district. I think what businesses in Detroit fail to realize is that growing residential population benefits business more than tourist/entertainment/sports because it means residents using area services on a 24/7 basis. If there were more housing Downtown, I doubt so many places would close shop once offices are closed. We will never see the vibrancy of other major cities until we have a substantial residential density in greater Downtown, somewhere in the order of 20-30k per sq mile. With a light-rail imminent, that sort of density will be possible along the line. Wise developers will realize this early on, and begin buying and planning new developments before the rail line is completed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast