Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Recalling Dave Bing

As I got off the 7Mile bus [[car n/a) I stopped in the store and on the counter was a recall petition. The name on the petition was Dave Bing and the reason for recalling him was that "he cut bus services and now Detroiters can't get to work or doctor appointments."

For the record, I didn't sign the petition but after witnessing the 7Mile not following its schedule, I can see why some Detroiters are hot to dump Bing. I understand why Bing cut services [[no money) but many Detroiters depend on the bus system which is the ONLY form of public transportation unless you can afford a cab. That said, perhaps it is time for Detroit to create an agreement with SMART to share some of the DDOT routes where heavy ridership would occur like the 7Mile route. To pay for this, the remaining Detroit taxpayers can agree to a mill tax to fund this. This creates redundancy for the heavy routes and DDOT could place buses on other routes that surely have suffered since the cuts.
    Last edited by R8RBOB; August-16-10 at 03:01 PM.

urban detroiters have got to stop being politically schizophrenic.. soon as the new person gets in, 'somebody' wants to do a recall.. just who exactly do these people want to replace him? Tom Barrow?

I agree that there should be more shared routes with SMART and DDOT, ideally a merged bus system for the entire metro area, but of course that would take the actual Regional Authority on Transit being created-- detroit DDOT higher-ups fear for their jobs so they stonewall, and L. Brooks wants to scuttle any regionalism he can because he can..

Nothing schizophrenic about somebody being elected mayor and then people wanting him recalled. Would you say the voters of California are schizo? How far-reaching must assumptions be to declare that because a sitting mayor is facing a [[probably tiny) recall effort, that the "urban" [[nice touch) voters must be simple-minded schizos?

Is Sharon McFail's name on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    urban detroiters have got to stop being politically schizophrenic.. soon as the new person gets in, 'somebody' wants to do a recall.. just who exactly do these people want to replace him? Tom Barrow?
    This "urban Detroiter" is agreement with you. Every four year period there a petition passed around that people want others to sign to to recall said politician. I remember 4 years ago I was at a store on GR and Outer Drive and these ladies as soliciting signatures because they wanted recall CC members like Martha Reeves for example. The reason being was that they raised the water rates for city residents. I told them that they were nuts that they just got elected and give them some time. [[Had I known how ineffective Reeves would have been, I would have gladly signed the petition.)

<<Would you say the voters of California are schizo?>>

YES!!!!!!!!

As much as I dislike recalls happening after every election, it's a part of our political process now. Our very, very, dysfunctional political process. Ineffective, ideological, partisan, co-opted politicians, graft and bribery [[lobbying), and multi-million dollar, years-long campaigns that begin at swearing in and continue through out elected official's terms. Elections must be one of the biggest businesses in our country. It's a wonder they aren't run by an election corporation. Oh, I forgot, they are.

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    As I got off the 7Mile bus [[car n/a) I stopped in the store and on the counter was a recall petition. The name on the petition was Dave Bing and the reason for recalling him was that "he cut bus services and now Detroiters can't get to work or doctor appointments."

For the record, I didn't sign the petition but after witnessing the 7Mile not following its schedule, I can see why some Detroiters are hot to dump Bing. I understand why Bing cut services [[no money) but many Detroiters depend on the bus system which is the ONLY form of public transportation unless you can afford a cab. That said, perhaps it is time for Detroit to create an agreement with SMART to share some of the DDOT routes where heavy ridership would occur like the 7Mile route. To pay for this, the remaining Detroit taxpayers can agree to a mill tax to fund this. This creates redundancy for the heavy routes and DDOT could place buses on other routes that surely have suffered since the cuts.
    Yeah I heard about that.

I'm still divided on whether I'd sign that petition. I then thought about who was going to replace him, and that made my decision easier. As for adding a tax to increase the productivity of DDOT, that's going to be hard. Everyone know the city is in a lot of debt and unless $300 mill or more came out of nowhere, things aren't looking that good right now.

Recalling Bing will only make things worst. He probably won't run again anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Tig3rzhark View Post
    Yeah I heard about that.

I'm still divided on whether I'd sign that petition. I then thought about who was going to replace him, and that made my decision easier. As for adding a tax to increase the productivity of DDOT, that's going to be hard. Everyone know the city is in a lot of debt and unless $300 mill or more came out of nowhere, things aren't looking that good right now.

Oh, I know about the money problems that the city faces but right now transportation is in the toilet. Detroit buses running on time was never a realistic thought but now it really sucks. Detroit really need other sources of transportation but for now something has to be done about the bus system.

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    Oh, I know about the money problems that the city faces but right now transportation is in the toilet. Detroit buses running on time was never a realistic thought but now it really sucks. Detroit really need other sources of transportation but for now something has to be done about the bus system.
    And I agree.

But what will recalling Dave Bing do? It won't changes the cuts. Something needs to be done about the bus system, and everyone knows it. What I don't get is why the Director of DDOT isn't held accountable. I never met the person, but if you're going to recall Bing, be sure to get rid of the Transportation director too.

And I agree.

But what will recalling Dave Bing do? It won't changes the cuts. Something needs to be done about the bus system, and everyone knows it. What I don't get is why the Director of DDOT isn't held accountable. I never met the person, but if you're going to recall Bing, be sure to get rid of the Transportation director too.
    I do not want Dave Bing recalled. I commented that hypersensitive Detroiters want to recall Bing because he cut bus services and I don't support this. I do understand the frustrations that Detroiters are feeling regarding bus services.

From hundreds of miles away, it seems pretty dysfunctional for there to be a recall going on. Didn't the last mayor go to jail? I mean, I see a lot of griping about Bing on here, but he must seem like a saint compared to the last guy.

It does suck about the bus services, although I guess that only increases the need for a Detroit version of ZipCar with beaters. [fryar smiles smugly]

Or something different, but the car share thing is my two cents.

I believe every mayor since CAY had some group that wanted to recall him. The only legit recall effort was Kwame because there was a issue of illegalities being committed.

I believe many of these groups that throw the recall word out there, either don't really understand what a recall is all about and how it should be used. or trying to create leverage they don't have with that politican. Anyway, I won't sign a recall petition, I tell them to wait until the next election, maybe that will make you choose more carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by fryar View Post
    From hundreds of miles away, it seems pretty dysfunctional for there to be a recall going on. Didn't the last mayor go to jail? I mean, I see a lot of griping about Bing on here, but he must seem like a saint compared to the last guy.
    Funny thing - it wasn't that long ago that Kwame Kilpatrick was held out by newspaper editorials and forumers as the model of transparency and civic duty. Those who questioned him were often dismissed as being uninformed or having questionable motives.

Today, we have Dave Bing in the Mayor's Office. Detroiters still pay sky high taxes and we still receive very little services for our tax dollars.

And, just like under the Kilpatrick regime, we're still expected to believe that our tax dollars being spent with the utmost stewardship. The fact that many members of the Bing Administration were also a part of Kilpatrick regime is a mere coincidence, or at least that is what we're supposed to believe.

One eventually has to look at ratio of taxes to services and ask: is the Bing Administration really spending our money properly? Or have we just not figured out how they're fleecing us?
    It does suck about the bus services, although I guess that only increases the need for a Detroit version of ZipCar with beaters. [fryar smiles smugly]
    That just sounds like another way of saying, "Let them eat cake."

Many Detroiters can only the $1.50 per trip to ride the bus. Most Zip Cars cost $8 - $10 per hour, not including the annual membership fee.

And then you'd still have to deal with the fact that Zip Cars require you to return to the car to a designated parking spot, which may or may not be near your destination.

Zip Cars are not intended to be a replacement to mass transit. In fact, if you look at the Zip Cars web site, you'll notice that Zip Car is primary operated in college towns or places that already have a top-notched mass transit system.

Actually, I've seen published interviews where Mayor Bing talked about how he might not be able to get done all of the things that we wants to get done in just one term of office. He wasn't ruling out a run for a second term.

Strangely enough, the recall rumblings started shortly after the hints of a second term.

Blarf Guest

Ask the people who want to recall Bing what their solution to the problem is. Then ask them where they plan on getting money/funding from. Chances are they can't answer those questions.

What pissed me off about Mayor Bing is when they where doing the demolition of Tiger Stadium, is that Senator Levin tried to schedule a meeting with him to save the place in the days before the demolition started and refused to meet with him and said his hands where tied from the previous administration.

Reguardless if Mayor Bing was going to do anything or not, you just don't turn down a meeting with one of our most respected and longest serving politicians on the region

Quote Originally Posted by fryar View Post

Or something different, but the car share thing is my two cents.
    Detroit has a functioning car share system. You just show your Glock and you have a car.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Detroit has a functioning car share system. You just show your Glock and you have a car.
    But that implies that you have a chance of getting it back intact someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Fnemecek View Post
    Today, we have Dave Bing in the Mayor's Office. Detroiters still pay sky high taxes and we still receive very little services for our tax dollars.

And, just like under the Kilpatrick regime, we're still expected to believe that our tax dollars being spent with the utmost stewardship. The fact that many members of the Bing Administration were also a part of Kilpatrick regime is a mere coincidence, or at least that is what we're supposed to believe.
    Yes, I am under the impression that the SOS [[same old spit) crowd has simply retained Bing as a figurehead while they continue to play their games. Now I'm starting to wonder if Bing has been a figurehead ever since he's been off the paint.

Detroiters had to deal with unscrupulous city leaders for years, recall notices after another. You all Detroiters need to stop whining. You all chose KING BING to reform our city and that is exactly he's going to do. I'm not singing no rediculous recall petition so deal with it. At least he's doesn't throw a Manoogian Party like KING KWAME! Let us move Detroit forward.

WOR FROM THE STREET PROPHET

Becuase changing Detroit takes action not throwing out political leaders who keep themselves in the straight and narrow.

Neda, I miss you so.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Detroiters had to deal with unscrupulous city leaders for years, recall notices after another. You all Detroiters need to stop whining. You all chose KING BING to reform our city and that is exactly he's going to do. I'm not singing no rediculous recall petition so deal with it. At least he's doesn't throw a Manoogian Party like KING KWAME! Let us move Detroit forward.

WOR FROM THE STREET PROPHET

Becuase changing Detroit takes action not throwing out political leaders who keep themselves in the straight and narrow.

Neda, I miss you so.
    OK, now I'm convinced. RECALL BING!

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    OK, now I'm convinced. RECALL BING!
    Then it would be another election circus all over again.