Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default James Scott Fountain on Belle Isle

I was looking at Buildings of Detroit's website. I don't remember the fountain having this area. Was it there before, then removed? picture is not real clear, can find it under old pictures on Blds of Detroits web site. Image #14
    Last edited by DW313512; August-16-10 at 01:52 PM. Reason: add info

I believe that is the section of the fountain that runs from the circular road around the fountain down to the pond on the west [[downtown) side of the fountain. The actual fountain would be behind the people standing at the top. I don't know if all of it is still there. but some of it does remain. I do have pictures of it at home. I'll try to post them tonight.
    Last edited by ndavies; August-16-10 at 02:06 PM.

Thanks ndavies. It has been a few years since I have been to Belle Isle. I'll be there soon and plan on seeing the fountain.

It is still there, we just shot a scene on that very section of the fountain.

The water is turned off, but the main fountain is fenced off and workers are actually restoring the fountain.

Unfortunately, they are being forced to remove some of the intricate mosaic work, because it is beyond repair. Also, some of the copper turtles were stolen and are irreplaceable.

The contractors told me that if the city is pleased with their work on the main fountain, they will move to restoring this lower area next.

When Fredrick Law Olmstead planned out the layout for Belle Isle in the later 19th century, the area around Scott Fountain was underwater [[part of the river). It wasn't until the early 20th century that Belle Isle was expanded on the east and west end, going from about 650 acres to the current 980 acres.

And even where that massive concrete [[former Grand Prix pit stop) area is... that too was outside of the Olmstead designed part of the island. In fact that 4 acre sea of concrete was located in an area of the island that was scrub land [[very few trees) with poor drainage, and was rarely, if ever used for picnicing.

Gsg thanks for the update. I thought the fountain was up and running.

It WAS, until all the damn copper was mysteriously scrapped after Kwhyme stopped evening access to the island...

...when he had to make that escape from Carlita's prying eyes on his partying.

I'd bet it was that trustworthy fellow Bobby Ferguson, he seemed to have a penchant for disappearing copper when the price was right.

It worked in 2007.

The copper was replaced and the entire fountain was in working order last summer.

ndavies, Thanks, your picture is wonderful. I appreciate your posting it.

Ham, I thought the same as you, but Gsg was just there and no water.

I will probably go see it anyhow, it is a beautiful fountain. Plus the greenhouse is amazing.

The fountain was repaired after the copper theft and was running last summer. This summer they shut it down again for repair. It was off when I was there last month, but no work was being done. I am getting married next month and was hoping to have pictures taken at the fountain anyone know if it is supposed to be turned back on this year? Hopefully by September 18???

Funny, I tried to do some filming over there last month in that exact same spot. The water was not on and the lower portion of the fountain was full of trash . I opted for a shot facing the pond instead.

Belle Isle has really been neglected this year. Hopefully they will impose some sort of nominal fee [[say...¢.25 per-person) to keep the park up. I know people will bitch a fit but there are worse things that could happen, like say....letting the park become a giant trash dump

The fountain has been power washed and polished from top to bottom. The yellow stains from years of water passing over it have been almost completely removed.

The entire structure looks absolutely beautiful now. Sorry, no pictures.

Do they plan to replace the stolen turtles?

Whatever happend to the different colored lights?

Quote Originally Posted by Rochelle St. View Post
    Do they plan to replace the stolen turtles?
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...umcJw7iNmBGDEg

I couldn't resist.