Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Filming at the Packard Plant, Belle Isle Zoo, Lee Plaza

After reading the post on detroitfunk about the Packard being boarded up, I stopped by to have a look. There is a strong security presence, lots of vehicles and trucks coming and going around the part of the plant north of Grand. When I spoke to a security guard he said that the northern part of the plant had been purchased and they were filming a "college movie." He said he didn't care if we went into the south part of the plant, but that they had problems keeping people out of the north.

Same day I went past the Belle Isle Zoo and there were works and a dumpster by the side entrance. Same deal, they were shooting a movie.

A few weeks before we talked to a security guard parked in front of Lee Plaza, which was being used as a movie set.

Looks like the tax incentives are paying off in a big way! Any idea what is being filmed at those places?

Quote Originally Posted by detroiturbex View Post

Looks like the tax incentives are paying off in a big way! Any idea what is being filmed at those places?

No they're not! Michigan is bankrolling an industry that will be out of here as soon as the free money is gone.

From RealFilmCareer.com:

"Michigan faces an ongoing state budget crisis — estimates say the shortfall could be $1.6 billion this year — and some lawmakers have called for a cap or repeal of the incentives.
    “The nonpartisan economists even agree that the film credit program is extremely costly and is failing miserably, costing the state $100 million more than it brings in and costing families about 7,500 full-time jobs from the private sector,” state Rep. Tom McMillin, R-Rochester Hills, said in a statement last week.
    “The numbers are not adding up to job creation as promised. The state will take $100 million out of businesses in 2010 to pay for things like out-of-state actors’ salaries and expensive dinners. That means less money for existing businesses to hire new employees or keep existing ones,” he said."
    Last edited by Johnnny5; August-15-10 at 07:18 PM.

I drove by the Packard today and was wondering what the deal was. The section where the big fire was recently was all boarded up and then on the opposite side were all kinds of trucks and some security up on the second floor window at Grand Blvd just hanging out.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    No they're not! Michigan is bankrolling an industry that will be out of here as soon as the free money is gone.
    I can attest firsthand that the film incentives have kept me and hundreds, possibly thousands others like me here in Michigan, earning a good living & working hard to help bring in outside business to this state and the city of Detroit. As a relatively recent grad of U of M, my choice was to hit one of the coasts and keep my fingers crossed, or stick it out here in Michigan and hope the incentives would bring some films to my doorstep. It has paid off in a tremendous way. The incentive is helping to stem the brain drain. I am surrounded by young people like myself who are working hard, earning a good living and working themselves up the ranks. I also took a chance on Detroit, and I live downtown and frequent its many restaurants, bars, and attractions when not keeping busy on films. I can personally attest to the fact that the film incentive 'payback' is immesurable in multiple ways. I remember countless purchases at corner stores, hardware stores, restaurants and more as part of the film production purchases or crew outings. Most of the folks working on the films, each of which employs hundreds of people, are Michigan residents. The films bring in only the top tier of professionals; it is too expensive for them to hire out-of-state crew for camera, grip, electric, set construction, etc, and hiring locally saves them even more when they get the return. So 60%+ of most film crews are Michigan-based.

The construction of the permanent film studio centers in Pontiac & elsewhere will only help guarantee that this industry is here to stay, bringing in money & jobs to this otherwise one-industry town.
    Last edited by Gsgeorge; August-15-10 at 08:14 PM.

From RealFilmCareer.com:

"Michigan faces an ongoing state budget crisis — estimates say the shortfall could be $1.6 billion this year — and some lawmakers have called for a cap or repeal of the incentives."
    PS- you're nitpicking, you didn't even bother to read the rest of the article, which lists the countless new investments, jobs, and industries sprouting up around the film incentives. Don't be wound up by a few partisan hotheads who just want to see the film incentive go away because they hate the idea of giving money to Hollywood, even if Hollywood is turning right back to Michigan and hiring your nextdoor neighbors.

lilpup Guest

Since the film incentive only refunds on monies SPENT in Michigan how can it possibly be in the red??

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    Since the film incentive only refunds on monies SPENT in Michigan how can it possibly be in the red??
    Republicans constantly complain that Michigan isn't business friendly enough, then when Granholm changes one aspect, they make up lies to the contrary. If this were passed under Big John, it would be hailed as innovative thinking.

Give her credit, this is one of her better accomplishments, despite the spin of cons and tea-bagger's.

"I can attest firsthand that the film incentives have kept me and hundreds, possibly thousands others like me here in Michigan, earning a good living & working hard to help bring in outside business to this state and the city of Detroit."
    What do you know with your real world experience? Reality obviously has a liberal bias and you are not going to pull the wool over the eyes of our cultish friends who spend all their time on the internet and hold a more "fair and balanced" view.

Quote Originally Posted by barnesfoto View Post
    What do you know with your real world experience? Reality obviously has a liberal bias and you are not going to pull the wool over the eyes of our cultish friends who spend all their time on the internet and hold a more "fair and balanced" view.

You tell him Allan!!!
    Last edited by torbusto; August-15-10 at 10:10 PM. Reason: grammer error

Quote Originally Posted by torbusto View Post
    You tell him Allan!!!
    Allen Parker?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Republicans constantly complain that Michigan isn't business friendly enough, then when Granholm changes one aspect, they make up lies to the contrary. If this were passed under Big John, it would be hailed as innovative thinking.

Give her credit, this is one of her better accomplishments, despite the spin of cons and tea-bagger's.
    Yeah, I don't get this either. Tax cuts are the Republican mantra but if a Dem. does it, it's bad? Makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by barnesfoto View Post

I think in your attempt to discredit him him with his own quote you effectively did yourself inadvertently....

"Michigan’s film subsidies may be enhancing the state’s image and producing pockets of new economic activity, but they’re unquestionably a net loser for state taxpayers, according to a report by the Senate Fiscal Agency released this morning.

The state Treasury doled out $37.5 million in subsidies in 2009 and is expected to distribute about $100 million to the makers of TV and film productions in 2010. But the estimated additional state tax revenue generated by film-related economic activity comes to only $3.7 million in 2009 and $10.3 million in 2010, the report found. "

Read more: Movie subsidies a big loser for Michigan taxpayers, study shows | freep.com | Detroit Free Press http://www.freep.com/article/2010091...#ixzz0zsHbitfn

While on paper this looks like a big money loser for the state, it is really very hard to estimate the impact it has had. While they estimate spending $100m on credits in 2010 compared with only $10.3m in increases in economic activity, I think these numbers are a bit skewed. While I have no doubt that the state is losing money on the credits, you have to wonder how much these credits have done. Look at all of the security at the Packard Plant, all of that money paid to them is being put back in the economy as part of their living expenses. Then all of the hotels and other expenses that come with these people, I think $10.3 million is a severe underestimation when it comes to the economic impact, especially considering all of the jobs that have been saved or created as a result.

From RealFilmCareer.com:

"Michigan faces an ongoing state budget crisis — estimates say the shortfall could be $1.6 billion this year — and some lawmakers have called for a cap or repeal of the incentives.
    “The nonpartisan economists even agree that the film credit program is extremely costly and is failing miserably, costing the state $100 million more than it brings in and costing families about 7,500 full-time jobs from the private sector,” state Rep. Tom McMillin, R-Rochester Hills, said in a statement last week.
    “The numbers are not adding up to job creation as promised. The state will take $100 million out of businesses in 2010 to pay for things like out-of-state actors’ salaries and expensive dinners. That means less money for existing businesses to hire new employees or keep existing ones,” he said."
    I've actually heard otherwise. While experts I have talked to have suggested that the program might not be the best investment for the state, they have argued that it is also not a net loss. I believe that, depending on what type of multiplier you use, the program is providing something like a 1% return on investment.

Quote Originally Posted by esp1986 View Post
    While they estimate spending $100m on credits in 2010 compared with only $10.3m in increases in economic activity, I think these numbers are a bit skewed.
    They didn't say 'economic activity'.

They said tax revenue.

The impact of these folks hanging out in Detroit for even ONE NIGHT are way greater than the taxes skimmed from their endeavors here.

Lotsa companies do business, lotsa people keep their jobs. The state gets a bit back, too. Everybody wins.

Cheers, let's not let someone else's poor analysis cloud our judgment here.

Movie subsidies a big loser for Michigan taxpayers, study shows

Michigan’s film subsidies may be enhancing the state’s image and producing pockets of new economic activity, but they’re unquestionably a net loser for state taxpayers, according to a report by the Senate Fiscal Agency released this morning.
    The state Treasury doled out $37.5 million in subsidies in 2009 and is expected to distribute about $100 million to the makers of TV and film productions in 2010. But the estimated additional state tax revenue generated by film-related economic activity comes to only $3.7 million in 2009 and $10.3 million in 2010, the report found.
    An analysis of movie and TV job creation by the agency found that the average cost to the state per full time job in 2008 was $186,519, and $193,333 in 2009.
    Senate Fiscal Agency Director Gary Olson said the new report, the most comprehensive examination of the credits to date, said the subsidies are so generous [[up to 42% of production costs) that it is virtually impossible for the program to have a net positive effect on the state budget.
    “That’s not to say there aren’t positive effects,” Olson said. Obviously, there are benefits to those who gain film and TV employment, he said. And the report doesn’t account for increased property and income tax revenue to local governments, he said.
    But the cost of providing the subsidies falls entirely on the state, Olson said.
    “It’s very hard to see how it ever benefits the state’s bottom line,” he said.
    A spokeswoman for the Michigan Film Office had not seen the report and had no immediate comment.

Again, only looking at the cost per FULL TIME JOB...not how many businesses are supported when a Hollywood blockbuster needs to be setup and 'filmed' here. Bad analysis, so perhaps bad conclusion, too.

Quote Originally Posted by HazenPingree View Post
    I've actually heard otherwise. While experts I have talked to have suggested that the program might not be the best investment for the state, they have argued that it is also not a net loss. I believe that, depending on what type of multiplier you use, the program is providing something like a 1% return on investment.
    IMO even if we are seeing a measly 1% return [[Which is debatable) it's still a loss when you consider that other worthwhile [[and proven) state programs could have made better use of the funds. The best example is probably the state supported "Pure Michigan" campaign that is currently set to run out of funding. Not only is this program helping in the near term, but it's effects will be seen for years to come when tourists make return visits. Let's see how long Hollywood sticks around after the tax credit cow runs dry .

Pure Michigan Cancels Fall Advertising Due to Budget Cuts
    Sep 17 07:30 AM US/Eastern
    LANSING, Mich., Sept. 17 /PRNewswire/ -- Travel Michigan announced today that the 2010 Pure Michigan fall advertising campaign has been cancelled. The Pure Michigan promotion budget for 2010 is $17 million, down 37 percent from $28 million in 2009. To maintain a second year of national cable television advertising for spring/summer, regional advertising was dramatically reduced. This includes all fall advertising in markets like Chicago. This is the first time since 2005 that Michigan tourism will not have a presence with fall advertising. Travel Michigan spent $1.7 million on fall advertising in 2009.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1

Forbes Magazine has ranked the Pure Michigan campaign, an ad campaign designed to boost the Michigan economy by encouraging tourists to vacation in the state, as one of the ten best tourism campaigns of all time. The ad campaign, launched in 2006, has been featured in TV and radio commercials during a huge ad blitz over the last few months.

http://michiganmessenger.com/22060/p...uded-by-forbes)
    Last edited by Johnnny5; September-17-10 at 04:49 PM.

The Packard refit as interior studio lots would be a great idea.

Detroit needs to have at least one film production studio and backlot in city boundaries. if the Packard grounds are ever torn down [[hint), the property might make a good location for one.
    I find it odd that Republican peeps want to rescind the Film industry tax incentives, while they go on about how unfair Michigan's tax structure allegedly blocks newer businesses/industries from setting foot in the state and discourages local entrepreneurship, and that tax breaks would help.. Oh, well..