Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

FoxyScholar10 Guest

Default Is Detroit 1-8-7 supposed to be like The Wire?

So I've spent part of the summer watching "The Wire" on DVD because I wanted to see if the show matched the hype. Lots of what I'm seeing on The Wire compares to some of the issues in Detroit. In fact, it's almost prophetic in that Detroit, a predominantly Black city, could possibly have a White mayor in the future.

If you all have already talked about this, my bad. This is my first post in the new DetroitYES forums. Took me a good while to decide if I wanted to register again.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxyScholar10 View Post
    So I've spent part of the summer watching "The Wire" on DVD because I wanted to see if the show matched the hype. Lots of what I'm seeing on The Wire compares to some of the issues in Detroit. In fact, it's almost prophetic in that Detroit, a predominantly Black city, could possibly have a White mayor in the future.

If you all have already talked about this, my bad. This is my first post in the new DetroitYES forums. Took me a good while to decide if I wanted to register again.
    As a fan of one of the greatest shows to ever be on television let me say I doubt Detroit 187 will be anything like The Wire. One of the things that made The Wire so good was the themes that each season had.

S1: The Streets
    S2: The Docks
    S3: The Politics
    S4: The Schools
    S5: The Media

Though Detroit could be another Baltimore, it is unlikely another series will be made on the structure of The Wire. I have to admit having Ball of Confusion playing with the preview of 187 sure makes me think of Season 4 of the Wire.

FoxyScholar10 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    As a fan of one of the greatest shows to ever be on television let me say I doubt Detroit 187 will be anything like The Wire. One of the things that made The Wire so good was the themes that each season had.

S1: The Streets
    S2: The Docks
    S3: The Politics
    S4: The Schools
    S5: The Media

Though Detroit could be another Baltimore, it is unlikely another series will be made on the structure of The Wire. I have to admit having Ball of Confusion playing with the preview of 187 sure makes me think of Season 4 of the Wire.
    What timing! I'm going to watch the last episode of Season 4 tonight. I think watching The Wire has jilted any expectations for me to watch Detroit 1-8-7.

FoxyScholar10 Guest

What timing! I'm going to watch the last episode of Season 4 tonight. I think watching The Wire has jilted any expectations for me to watch Detroit 1-8-7.
    I'm rooting for Detroit 187 because I hope it tells a good story about Detroit. Sure, you will see bad shit but there good stories and I hope the producers can tap in those stories and weave it in the series.

Detroit 187 got its inspiration for its preview trailer from this.......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg94rUtzkz8

Good to see u back FS! Hope to see more of you!

Detroit 1-8-7 might be a good cop show for the networks we don't know that yet but to compare the show to the Wire is like eating a steak at Outback versus eating a steak at a high end restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Detroit 1-8-7 might be a good cop show for the networks we don't know that yet but to compare the show to the Wire is like eating a steak at Outback versus eating a steak at a high end restaurant.
    Hey, you can knock Outback. They have some pretty good food.....LOL

A better analogy to use would be this: to compare the show to the Wire is like saying that there is no difference in eating top steak versus eating filet mignon.

I just finished watching The Wire via Netflix and all I can say is WOW!

What a great show. If Detroit 187 is half the show that the Wire was, I will be watching.

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    Hey, you can knock Outback. They have some pretty good food.....LOL

A better analogy to use would be this: to compare the show to the Wire is like saying that there is no difference in eating top steak versus eating filet mignon.
    touche, it is better

I'm excited and look forward to seeing it, though I cross my fingers that it doesn't suck.
    The show, not the steak.

FWIW, and just for the sake of hijacking ;-), Outback has a great deal for a healthy meal in it's 6 oz signature steak for $9.95. You get two side orders, make one a salad [[they're rather big) and the other steamed veggies, and for $12 incl tip you've had a pretty cheap and healthy meal that's very filling. Not the kind of thing you do when celebrating with abandon, of course, but if you're on the road for work or something it's a good option. I'm just saying, because nobody ever gets that cause it's like the weeny steak, but it's perfectly more-than-adequate.